HOW DO YOU REACT TO AN ACCIDENT?

BIGDAN

Concern or Laugh  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you laugh or do you have concern first

Hi All,

I have always wanted to know why people like me Laugh when they see someone fall over in the street before they go and give any assistance, how do you react and what do you think of people who laugh?

Be Honest.

Regards, Danny

I was raised right. If I see someone regardless of age slip and fall or something, I go over and help them. Because I have this thing about not treating people less than I'd want them to treat me. Call me crazy like that.

Frankly, if upon seeing someone fall or otherwise hurt themselves, your first instinct is to start laughing at them, you're a sociopath. It's one thing if the person meant to fall down because it's part of some comedy show or pratfall and the whole point of the bit involves them stumbling all over the place, but if it's clearly not an intentional accident and you burst into hysterical laughter......there's something wrong with you.

I was raised right. If I see someone regardless of age slip and fall or something, I go over and help them. Because I have this thing about not treating people less than I'd want them to treat me. Call me crazy like that.

Frankly, if upon seeing someone fall or otherwise hurt themselves, your first instinct is to start laughing at them, you're a sociopath. It's one thing if the person meant to fall down because it's part of some comedy show or pratfall and the whole point of the bit involves them stumbling all over the place, but if it's clearly not an intentional accident and you burst into hysterical laughter......there's something wrong with you.

Who said anything about hysterical laughter? I Snigger, :o oops sorry TypeO didnt mean to offend, but then again i laugh at myself when i trip over as well, does that make me an "Egotistical Sociopath"? :lol:

Regards, Danny

I fell over in the street the other week, sober as a judge. Tripped over a concealed step. I went down like a sack of shit and landed head-first on the concrete. I fell so fast I didn't even have time to break my fall with my hands. Fortunately I was heavily dosed up on Tramadol at the time, so I didn't feel a thing. But it hurt like hell the next day.

A couple of people came to see if I was ok, which I was, although I was bleeding profusely cos the impact pushed my shades into my eyelid. But nobody laughed. If they had, I'd have fucking twatted 'em.

I fell over in the street the other week, sober as a judge. Tripped over a concealed step. I went down like a sack of shit and landed head-first on the concrete. I fell so fast I didn't even have time to break my fall with my hands. Fortunately I was heavily dosed up on Tramadol at the time, so I didn't feel a thing. But it hurt like hell the next day.

A couple of people came to see if I was ok, which I was, although I was bleeding profusely cos the impact pushed my shades into my eyelid. But nobody laughed. If they had, I'd have fucking twatted 'em.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Sorry, Sorry 'bouillon' it was my "Egotistical Sociopathy" that made me do it. :hysterical:

Retards, Danny :hysterical::hysterical: :hysterical: Sorry

PS, He fell over, He fell over. :hysterical:

Who said anything about hysterical laughter? I Snigger, :o oops sorry TypeO didnt mean to offend, but then again i laugh at myself when i trip over as well, does that make me an "Egotistical Sociopath"? :lol:

Regards, Danny

No, not a sociopath, just a jackass.

I might laugh if I know the person but that would depend on how bad the accident was. I've also seen my share of bad ones where all I could do was be sick so .....

One morning,around about thirty years ago,I was sitting in my building site canteen.I'm having a last look at the sports page just before we all have to go out to work.In walks the site manager with some very sad news.One of the assistant managers,who was a reasonable age,we were told had died in his sleep the night before.The vast majority of us were pretty stunned by this and muttered the usual platitudes.One of the lads however,absolutely burst out laughing and couldn't stop.I only mention this to illustrate the different way people react to a tragedy.The lad laughing meant no harm or disrespect I'm sure,it was just his first reaction.My reaction depends on the circumstances.Basically,nobody badly hurt?You can have a laugh.Someone badly hurt?Respectful silence.

One morning,around about thirty years ago,I was sitting in my building site canteen.I'm having a last look at the sports page just before we all have to go out to work.In walks the site manager with some very sad news.One of the assistant managers,who was a reasonable age,we were told had died in his sleep the night before.The vast majority of us were pretty stunned by this and muttered the usual platitudes.One of the lads however,absolutely burst out laughing and couldn't stop.I only mention this to illustrate the different way people react to a tragedy.The lad laughing meant no harm or disrespect I'm sure,it was just his first reaction.My reaction depends on the circumstances.Basically,nobody badly hurt?You can have a laugh.Someone badly hurt?Respectful silence.

Spot on Walesdad, spot on.

Regards, Danny

Guilty as charged.

But if anyone sees someone trip and they dont Snigger to themselves then they are a liar, in my opinion.

Regards, Danny

No, I'm not a liar. If you assumed everyone laughs at the misfortunes of others, then why did you pose the question? Nevermind...I already know the answer.

I'm not a liar, either. I'm not religious, but I do think karma exists in some small measure on this planet, and the shit you do to other people will come back to you tenfold. So if I see someone trip and fall and I start laughing, then if I trip and fall, an entire room full of people will start guffawing at me while I'm on the ground writhing in pain.

No thanks.

I'm not a liar, either. I'm not religious, but I do think karma exists in some small measure on this planet, and the shit you do to other people will come back to you tenfold. So if I see someone trip and fall and I start laughing, then if I trip and fall, an entire room full of people will start guffawing at me while I'm on the ground writhing in pain.

No thanks.

SO WHAT? laugh with them, if you cant laugh at yourself then you have no right to laugh at someone else, i laugh at myself every day, and at others as often as i can, it keeps me sane, sort of. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

I find it really hard to belive that some people have never laughed at somebody elses misfortune.

Never chuckled at that idiot out at the weekend on the Dance floor, thinking they are 'John Travolta', then whoosh they are on their arse! ;)

We are not talking serious accidents, minor mishaps.

A lot of the time it is a nervous laugh, we just can't help ourselfs..:)

I find it really hard to belive that some people have never laughed at somebody else's misfortune.

We're not talking about "misfortune." There's a difference between schadenfreude and laughing at someone who's just had an accident and hurt themselves. Laughing at the fans of a rival sports team when they've just lost is schadenfreude. Laughing at one of those fans if they fall down the stairs and break an arm makes you an asshole.

We're not talking about "misfortune." There's a difference between schadenfreude and laughing at someone who's just had an accident and hurt themselves. Laughing at the fans of a rival sports team when they've just lost is schadenfreude. Laughing at one of those fans if they fall down the stairs and break and arm makes you an asshole.

I'm a asshole, I think you need to look closer to home for that accolade.

You seem to have a opinion on everything and a sense of the dramatics, blowing everything out of proportion on things that you post on.

Girlfriend you need to lighten up or get some Loving you are sounding a bit frustrated..

Have a nice day....:)

I personally don't laugh at other's misfortunes, but understand why some may laugh. Initially when an accident happens, the seriousness is not easily known immediately and someone laughing could be an attempt to reduce the stress of what may become serious. Some may use the subconscious response to calm themselves down. And sometimes it is because someone could be an uncaring jackass. Depends on the situation and the relationships of the people involved so there could be any number of variables contributing to what goes on in an insident.

I watched someone fall off the roof of a house once. It scared me so bad that I went into hysterics and started laughing instead of crying. It wasn't funny. I guess you could say that I was venting. A friend that was with me threatened to smack me if I didn't stop. That did the trick. I was able to calm down. The person who fell wasn't seriously injured, thank goodness.

My reaction would depend on how the accident occurred and how the accidentee reacted.If they were forced to move comedically during it and the accident was not life-threatening I'd laugh,and then check that they were alright.

This question would all depend on the accident,eg:man cuts off hand in butcher's bandsaw?

Probably not a laughing matter...and you may be considered unhelpful by laughing and pointing.

Archived