HOW DO YOU REACT TO AN ACCIDENT?

BIGDAN

Concern or Laugh  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you laugh or do you have concern first

I watched someone fall off the roof of a house once. It scared me so bad that I went into hysterics and started laughing instead of crying. It wasn't funny. I guess you could say that I was venting. A friend that was with me threatened to smack me if I didn't stop. That did the trick. I was able to calm down. The person who fell wasn't seriously injured, thank goodness.

When I was about 15 I was working on a construction site helping some bricklayers and one morning, as we did every morning, we loaded up the wheelbarrows and sent them up the hoist which only had a flimsy "safety" chain at the back and two wood panels on the sides.

There were two barrows on the platform one with bricks and one with mortar and as is the practice the mortar was usually first off with this other bloke who was standing holding the handles, remember this was pre O H & S and things on building sites were sometimes dodgy at best and nowadays there are designated passenger lifts etc. and more stringent safety regulations.

Anyway the foreman told me to "send them up" and I told him I'd never used one before and his reply was "it's about time you learned."

Now this elevator had seen better years and there were no "dead man" auto stop buttons only a lever that was pulled back to raise, middle position to stop and forward to lower.

The foreman said it had been modified so all that needed to be done was to let go of the lever and the brake would engage and the thing would stop.

Now this particular day was a typical winters morning and there was a bit of ice on the ascend / descend guiderails so when I sent this poor bugger up and let the handle go it didn't grab and consquently slipped forward and then plummeted about 2 storeys (20ft) straight down.

The barrows crashed to the ground and the bloke on the platform went head first in the mortar, which as luck would have it cushioned his fall.

When he stood up all you could see were these two bulging eyes peeking through all this sand and cement and I cracked up laughing at first because it looked almost cartoon like then when I realised what had happened and the potential consequences that could've occurred I went into hysterics until someone calmed me down.

The other bloke who was an old timer came over to me and was so cool about it, was a bit shaken sat down and rolled himself a cigarette still covered in mud then he went over and abused the foreman for being such a fuckwit for telling me to use the equipment in the first place.

There was an investigation into the incident and the site was shutdown and I never went back.

The one thing has has stayed with me for almost 40 years is, thank goodness he was standing in front of the mortar barrow and not the bricks because I can't imagine ever being able to live with having been responsible for killing someone and in that event he would have surely died.

About a 1/2 hour ago I took an unscheduled dip in the pool! Cleaning out the last of my effin' neighbours maple leaves then bingo tripped on the pool cleaner and arse over head into the drink, freakin' cold too! Never happens when I clean it in summertime!?

Yes it was funny after the fact!

I'm a asshole, I think you need to look closer to home for that accolade.

You seem to have a opinion on everything and a sense of the dramatics, blowing everything out of proportion on things that you post on.

Girlfriend you need to lighten up or get some Loving you are sounding a bit frustrated..

Have a nice day....:)

I agree with you completely Fool In the Rain. I have said on numerous occasions that this chick who posts under the name electrophile seems to have some serious issues. I believe that she believes that she is better than most of us. She always seems to have some snide, snippy or sarcastic answer(s) to alot of other peoples posts and comments or opinions. You say she may be a bit frustrated, I say that she is more than a bit ignorant.

By the way, I admit that I have laughed at others "accidents" in the past, however, I always laugh when I happen to have the accident. And you know what, I consider myself an easy going and laid back person so if I saw others laughing at me, I would smile at them and laugh even louder. "Does Anybody Remember Laughter"...

Isn't Laughter the Best Medicine?

How I react to an accident completely depends on the situation. If a person trips and falls over and looks very embarrassed and genuinely in pain, my first reaction will most certainly be concern. I have faced a couple of accidents myself. I was sober, thank you very much. I, in fact, was on my way to class. It was during the rush hour, where the path way, was literally crowded with students. Some were just coming out of the Owen Glenn Building (of the Auckland Business School) and some were running to class. I actually felt myself being pushed forward by people who were in more of a rush than me. I as a result, not only fell headlong into concrete and grazed my chin, but I couldn't attend classes for about a week because I sprained my right ankle. I honestly did not want any sort of sympathy from anyone but I couldn't help but feel a bit hurt that two Asian students were giggling while they were watching me limp in pain to class. Honestly, I am the kind of person who chooses to pick herself up and move on. Although, I have to admit that I have giggled on seeing those vintage clips of Charlie Chaplin tripping over and being so clumsy! Now, that was for the purpose of comedy! :) How I chose to react depends on a lot of factors, such as whether the person concerned seems to be in genuine pain. But if the person concerned chooses to laugh at their clumsiness, I will laugh with them (if I knew the person) and tell that person to be a bit more careful next time and help them up. If it was someone I didn't know, I will just give one glance in their direction and move on. On the other hand, if that stranger seems to be in pain, I would definitely step up to the plate and help!

Hi All,

Without getting your knickers in a twist, just how many people watch "You've been framed" without a snigger?

Or maybe you dont watch it?

Maybe i should have called it "HOW DO YOU REACT TO PEOPLES MISHAPS" rather than use the word ACCIDENT?

Some of you need to lighten up a bit, you might just get to like it. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

True story my sister call me 2 weeks ago nearly in tears she had tripped over her patio step, went head long through the sitting room, just that vision of her started me of laughing she quickly started as well, it took her mind off her injuries for a while.

After she came back from the hospital she called to say thanks for making her laugh, as she had broken 2 bones in her wrist, the laughter had helped her forget how painful her wrist was. Glad to say she is on the mend now, but we will joke about this for years to come.. :o

Frankly, if upon seeing someone fall or otherwise hurt themselves, your first instinct is to start laughing at them, you're a sociopath. It's one thing if the person meant to fall down because it's part of some comedy show or pratfall and the whole point of the bit involves them stumbling all over the place, but if it's clearly not an intentional accident and you burst into hysterical laughter......there's something wrong with you.

Yeah, this.

I was raised right. If I see someone regardless of age slip and fall or something, I go over and help them. Because I have this thing about not treating people less than I'd want them to treat me. Call me crazy like that.

Frankly, if upon seeing someone fall or otherwise hurt themselves, your first instinct is to start laughing at them, you're a sociopath. It's one thing if the person meant to fall down because it's part of some comedy show or pratfall and the whole point of the bit involves them stumbling all over the place, but if it's clearly not an intentional accident and you burst into hysterical laughter......there's something wrong with you.

If you were "raised right", why do you always come across with your comments and replies as an ignorant stuck up B***H? Believe it or not, everything you think and say (and post) is not always right. Just because someone laughs at someone else's minor misfortune does not make them a "sociopath". Ted Bundy was a "sociopath". Are you implying that most of the people who have laughed when someone falls down is also a potential serial killer? That is basically what you are saying without even realizing it. Think before you speak (post/reply).

I have a suspicion that you probably do not have alot of friends. If you happen to be so anti-social on an anonymous website, I would gather that you are probably much worse in person.

^ Hey hey HEY there! Lay off Electro, wouldya?

Sure, she comes across sometimes as needing a Big Hug, but don't we all?? She's a spunky girl, and she sure as hell doesn't need me to stick up for her, but boards need strong characters like her to slap down the trolls every now and then.

What's the matter cowboy, don't you like strong women? Do they make you feel uncomfortable?

Very few people always come across one way or another. Even though people may have opinions with which I do not always agree, I don't need to call them names.

If someone laughs at the scene of an accident as a coping mechanism, that suggests to me that they may not know how to approach the situation effectively and don't really know how to react. Perhaps the stress is more than they can handle. I don't judge them. Some people react to stress in different ways.

When I see someone who is hurt, I focus on how I can help and act immediately as appropriately as I can. I may laugh or cry, but I don't worry about that as much as getting that person to safety. That is probably someone who someone else cares a lot about, and I would want anyone to do the same for my loved ones.

^ Hey hey HEY there! Lay off Electro, wouldya?

Sure, she comes across sometimes as needing a Big Hug, but don't we all?? She's a spunky girl, and she sure as hell doesn't need me to stick up for her, but boards need strong characters like her to slap down the trolls every now and then.

What's the matter cowboy, don't you like strong women? Do they make you feel uncomfortable?

First of all, I am neither a Troll or a Cowboy. I am an American who also has strong convictions and opinions.

You may call her a "spunky" girl, however, I call her as I read her. I would say that she need more than a "Big Hug".

Of course I like strong women and NO they do not make me feel uncomfortable in the least. I just do not like women (or men) who seem to think that they are better than everyone else (you included) and think that everything they say is right and everyone else is wrong.

I usually think that people who express themselves strongly have their own ideas which make them unique, but I do not take them personally. It does not bother me if people have opinions that are different from my own, nor do I believe that they think they are always right. It just happens to be what they think. I don't worry about it. Mainly in an accident situation, I concentrate on helping the person who needs assistance and that's all. Afterwards I go home and unwind, maybe watch SpongeBob or Southpark.

I usually think that people who express themselves strongly have their own ideas which make them unique, but I do not take them personally. It does not bother me if people have opinions that are different from my own, nor do I believe that they think they are always right. It just happens to be what they think. I don't worry about it. Mainly in an accident situation, I concentrate on helping the person who needs assistance and that's all. Afterwards I go home and unwind, maybe watch SpongeBob or Southpark.

Good point/post. I agree with the you except on your last sentence. I would rather go home and unwind with a 12 pack of Budwieser and a Robert DeNiro movie in my dvd player.

Believe me, I completely realize that everyone else has different ideas/opinions/expectations/etc/... then myself. What I cannot stand is when someone like electrophile (and others) always seem to have a sarcastic or irrelevant comment to make just because it does not seem to fit in to their own way of thought. Like I said, I have very strong convictions and opinions and I can handle and take all the criticism and backlash that is put my way. Remember, You do not know me me and I do not know you so anyone can call me names and say what they will. They are only words from complete strangers that I do not know and will probably never meet.

By the way, I am looking forward to reading any reply from the woman herself, electrophile. I know that she reads and posts to the "Ramble On" section of this Awesome Website. Well?

You never know how people are going to react to an accident. I usually focus on whatever helps the person in need and stay calm. Often that person is relying on me to be the one who guides them to safety. Maybe it comes from working in a hospital setting where you never know what will walk through the door. You always must be ready to act appropriately.

First of all, I am neither a Troll or a Cowboy. I am an American who also has strong convictions and opinions.

You may call her a "spunky" girl, however, I call her as I read her. I would say that she need more than a "Big Hug".

Of course I like strong women and NO they do not make me feel uncomfortable in the least. I just do not like women (or men) who seem to think that they are better than everyone else (you included) and think that everything they say is right and everyone else is wrong.

Well excuse me, motormouth, but where did I call you a troll?

And where have I stated or implied that I think I am 'better than everyone else'? I mean, I might think that, but where is your empirical evidence for that accusation? Eh, troll?

Well excuse me, motormouth, but where did I call you a troll?

And where have I stated or implied that I think I am 'better than everyone else'? I mean, I might think that, but where is your empirical evidence for that accusation? Eh, troll?

Come on. Are you really serious? Motormouth? Troll? These sound like stupid and desperate words coming from another Stupid and Ignorant person. What did I already say? I can take any and ALL criticisms from people I do not know.

If you happen to go back and reread my posts/replies, you would see that I have been saying what I have been posting to an original post from electrophile. For someone who might think they are better than everyone else (as you say yourself), You seem like another dumb idiot. That is my empirical evidence.

Have you ever laughed when someone falls down? If you have then I guess that makes you a "Sociopath" (according to electrophile). If you have not then I guess that makes you a "Liar" (according to Me).

Come on. Are you really serious? Motormouth? Troll? These sound like stupid and desperate words coming from another Stupid and Ignorant person. What did I already say? I can take any and ALL criticisms from people I do not know.

If you happen to go back and reread my posts/replies, you would see that I have been saying what I have been posting to an original post from electrophile. For someone who might think they are better than everyone else (as you say yourself), You seem like another dumb idiot. That is my empirical evidence.

Have you ever laughed when someone falls down? If you have then I guess that makes you a "Sociopath" (according to electrophile). If you have not then I guess that makes you a "Liar" (according to Me).

If you care to look at the votes, you'll see that I chose 'laugh'. Does that make me a sociopath? Not on its own, no, and it would clearly be absurd to extrapolate the current score in this poll and posit that 25% of the population are sociopaths. But Electro appears to be someone who favours extreme language to make her points - see also the discussion elsewhere of her 'hatred' of STH. There's nothing wrong with hyperbole. At least it gets you noticed - and, as we all know, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Maybe that's her motive, who knows.

In any case, the question is too narrow. I mean, yes, of course I'd laugh if a robust adult fell over, but got up and walked away relatively unscathed. On the other hand, I wouldn't laugh if I saw a child or elderly person fall over, or if I saw an adult bust their head open & spill their brains all over the pavement. Like most things in life, it's a question of degree.

As for my being another stupid ignorant dumb idiot, you're way off beam there, pardner. By all means call me unpleasant, but I'd stake my IQ, educational & professional qualifications and general intellect against yours anytime.

Troll.

I agree with you completely Fool In the Rain. I have said on numerous occasions that this chick who posts under the name electrophile seems to have some serious issues. I believe that she believes that she is better than most of us. She always seems to have some snide, snippy or sarcastic answer(s) to alot of other peoples posts and comments or opinions. You say she may be a bit frustrated, I say that she is more than a bit ignorant.

By the way, I admit that I have laughed at others "accidents" in the past, however, I always laugh when I happen to have the accident. And you know what, I consider myself an easy going and laid back person so if I saw others laughing at me, I would smile at them and laugh even louder. "Does Anybody Remember Laughter"...

Isn't Laughter the Best Medicine?

Wow. You get the purple medal of this board. You have taken a shot against Electrophile and have received no retaliation. Amazing! Maybe she just missed it? She wont now that I have chimed in. You have hit the nail right on the head. She simply ignores me now. But used to attack me relentlessly. Be carefull. She packs a whallop. If you ever figure her out let me know.

Wow. You get the purple medal of this board. You have taken a shot against Electrophile and have received no retaliation. Amazing! Maybe she just missed it? She wont now that I have chimed in. You have hit the nail right on the head. She simply ignores me now. But used to attack me relentlessly. Be carefull. She packs a whallop. If you ever figure her out let me know.

Wow, silvermedalist-but-failed-the-doping-test, do you mean you condone the kind of childish character-assassination lzzoso has employed in this thread?

Get a room...<_<

When I was in my early teens, there was a girl I went to church with and sometimes to her house named Kelly that absolutely lost all control of herself if she saw someone fall, stumble, whatever.

Once, a person sat in a chair where the seat part collapsed and the person slipped down into the chair frame and I thought Kelly was going to absolutely lose control of her bodily functions.

It was funnier watching her react than whatever actually happened.

I'm more with bouillon's perspective of a person being relatively unscathed.

Especially humorous is watching the person's reaction after a stumble - not necessarily hitting the ground - when they try to regain composure and assess how many, if any, people witnessed their malfunction.

And of course, within our family, whenever someone stumbles or does something equally embarrassing, we calculate how many "cool points" they lost.

The other night during some severe weather, my soon-to-be 17-year-old was with me under the carport watching the approaching bad weather when a particularly vicious bolt of lightning blasted about a yard or so over (not a 3 foot yard, a neighbor's yard).

He turned and "bolted" as well, and slipped and fell on the slick carport concrete.

He skinned his knee somewhat and he was laughing.

I felt bad about him hurting himself, and I told him what I thought was funny wasn't him falling, but the idea that running from the lightning would do any good.

I'll certainly flinch a little when a bolt strikes that close, but in general (and I've tried to get my kids to understand this), I know you'd already be through if lightning was going to hit you, so I don't jump much at lightning.

Thread Tangent Alert: Something my wife and I (well, basically our whole family) finds uncontrollably funny is seeing people dozing off to sleep, whether in church or wherever, or fighting to keep from dozing off.

Wow, silvermedalist-but-failed-the-doping-test, do you mean you condone the kind of childish character-assassination lzzoso has employed in this thread?

Get a room...dry.gif

Geez Bouillion. I have not read his posts. I only read the one that I referred to. I am only referring to his calling out a long time member that has infuriated many, myself and you included. I wont get a room. I am not gay for one. If my guess is correct that that member is a man? Ill go see the profile and check. Do not jump to assumptions. I have not read all of his posts.

Ok you bloke. I have read he is a man. What say ye?

Only if they're drunk do I laugh, or in a comedy situation as stated before.

I watched an old drunk who just missed getting on the bus and as the bus drove away he just kinda rolled along the side of the bus in a spinning motion til he ran out of bus and smacked the ground hard.

I have no sympathy for pathetic drunks. <_<

I watched an old drunk who just missed getting on the bus and as the bus drove away he just kinda rolled along the side of the bus in a spinning motion til he ran out of bus and smacked the ground hard.

I have no sympathy for pathetic drunks. <_<

But did you laugh Redrum, did ya? :o

Regards, Danny

Actually I didn't as it happened so fast I was just staring in disbelief.

I did help him up afterwards.

B)

Well if its any consolation I laughed for you, but good on you for helping the guy up, if you did that where I live he would have mugged you. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

Well if its any consolation I laughed for you, but good on you for helping the guy up, if you did that where I live he would have mugged you. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

That was back in the late 60's.

If he attempted to mug me I would have then thrown him UNDER the bus.

:lol:

Archived