Great Gig Could = No Tour?

I was at the o2 arena last night and can honestly say (apart from the occasional dodgy sound mix) it was the best night of my life.

I paid well over the odds for a standard standing ticket but obviously not as much as many i've already heard from.

Anyway that all amounts to s**t. I regret nothing.

Unlike others I only had to travel 10 miles to the venue rather than 5,000 miles and upwards for many others.

I wasn't lucky enough to win the ticket ballot, or be pretty and popular enough to get a free ticket (the song remains the same), but I probably enjoyed myself more than any of those aforementioned and made plenty of friends.

Anyway back to the topic...... I'm dreading the fact that apart from a bit of a slip from Jimmy in "Dazed", the whole show was perfect and spot on.

What if the band consider this gig to be their last, and they're completely happy with protecting their legacy for another generation.

It was fantastic, superb, and loads of other words I could use to say how good it was.

Maybe I am being greedy, but I want to see more and I personally think that they could be the answer to at least a decades worth of mediocre drivel that the current generation are willing to support.

I live in hope that one day a band will come along like Led Zep in our modern times, to dictate how the music business should be run, rather than be told.

Still in 7th heaven right now!

I'm hoping the opposite, remmeber the great reception the unleaded/unplugged show seemed to be what convinced Plant to do more P&P shows. I must admit that beforehand I was somewhat neutral to the prospect of a long term reunion but from the reaction/clips I'v seen it really does seem that some of the old magic was recaptured(that wild "tight but loose" quality the P&P shows tended to lack for me).

I can see your point.

However Robert was very tired of that project long before it finished.

Jimmy's solos were getting longer and longer and it became obvious, long before it was over that creatively they couldn't work together anymore.

I just want them to celebrate their past, (however selfish that seems) and start to collectively appreciate what they have ahcieved together.

Last night was hopefully just the start of it.

Jimmy's solos were getting longer and longer and it became obvious, long before it was over that creatively they couldn't work together anymore.

Well, certainly Jimmy was encouraging Robert to move more and more into a more traditional Zep show, but I think Walking into Clarksdale killed Page/Plant. They launched the 98 tour in support of it but the album tanked anyway, because the production was too raw and Plant's singing was rough (to put it kindly).

Everyone was curious what a fresh album would sound like between them and WIC was a real let-down. I think that's why Robert went into a very low-key direction afterwards, kind of humbling himself, playing small gigs, licking his wounds, whereas Jimmy tried to just relive old glories with the Crowes until his back gave out.

You've got to imagine Robert feels bad about WIC tanking as he redid Please Read the Letter with Krauss.

Really, there is now way to overstate how much of a creative failure WIC was. A lot of the songwriting was solid, and if it had the Coverdale/Page production treatment, and Robert truly giving his 100% on the vocals (like he did in the tours) it would have been more successful and helped to keep their partnership going.

Hi Mos,

I think the "WIC" album stank. Lots of ideas but unfortunately there were a few people missing to make it beautiful (JPJ and JB obviously). Believe me i'm not being nostalgic but the rhythm section in Zep were the ultimate force for turning good ideas into great songs. Michael Lee and Charlie Jones were so lame, so lets not talk of this any more. It was always so obvious that the dividing line between P&P and a full Zep show were the rhythm section and unfortunately the only reason that P&P got together was cos Robert was calling the shots and wanted the above.

Whether it was ego or just making himself feel secure with people he knew..... who knows?

Only he can give that answer.

Best wishes.

Hi Mos,

I think the "WIC" album stank. Lots of ideas but unfortunately there were a few people missing to make it beautiful (JPJ and JB obviously). Believe me i'm not being nostalgic but the rhythm section in Zep were the ultimate force for turning good ideas into great songs. Michael Lee and Charlie Jones were so lame, so lets not talk of this any more. It was always so obvious that the dividing line between P&P and a full Zep show were the rhythm section and unfortunately the only reason that P&P got together was cos Robert was calling the shots and wanted the above.

Whether it was ego or just making himself feel secure with people he knew..... who knows?

Only he can give that answer.

Best wishes.

The problem was IMHO that you had Plant pushing in one direction(middle eastern/indian recordings of Zep tracks) and Page in another(wanting to essentially restart Zep). Lee and Jones worked well as part of the larger backing group in the former but were not nearly aswell suited to the latter which calls for a rhythm section who can play as equals.

I was at the o2 arena last night and can honestly say (apart from the occasional dodgy sound mix) it was the best night of my life.

I paid well over the odds for a standard standing ticket but obviously not as much as many i've already heard from.

Anyway that all amounts to s**t. I regret nothing.

Unlike others I only had to travel 10 miles to the venue rather than 5,000 miles and upwards for many others.

I wasn't lucky enough to win the ticket ballot, or be pretty and popular enough to get a free ticket (the song remains the same), but I probably enjoyed myself more than any of those aforementioned and made plenty of friends.

Anyway back to the topic...... I'm dreading the fact that apart from a bit of a slip from Jimmy in "Dazed", the whole show was perfect and spot on.

What if the band consider this gig to be their last, and they're completely happy with protecting their legacy for another generation.

It was fantastic, superb, and loads of other words I could use to say how good it was.

Maybe I am being greedy, but I want to see more and I personally think that they could be the answer to at least a decades worth of mediocre drivel that the current generation are willing to support.

I live in hope that one day a band will come along like Led Zep in our modern times, to dictate how the music business should be run, rather than be told.

Still in 7th heaven right now!

My sentiments, too!!! My feet still haven't hit the ground!!! I brought my 15 year old son, and although we were in the rafters - this was by far the happiest night of my life!!!! I devoured every second; and 2 hours seemed like 10 minutes. This band is all class -unbelievable original talent. It's so obvious they break all barriers and let their hearts and souls lead the way...thank God they are different. No one else comes even close!!!!! I've always loved their originality and diverse influences -please ROCK ON LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!! We are all dying to hear more!!!!!

Archived