RIP - Howard Mylett

...a deluge of Zeppelin books ensued, some good, some terrible.

On this point I'd like to share a personal anecdote if I may. On one occasion Howard confided to me he was fully prepared to publish a Robert Plant biography to coincide with Robert having launched his post-Zeppelin solo career. However, when word came Robert would rather he didn't, Howard immediately perished the thought solely out of respect for Robert's "No Led Anything" wishes at the time. Quite a contrast to the more sensationalist and exploitive approaches employed by other authors through the years and yet another testament to his character.

HowardMylett.jpg

Howard Mylett (October 2008)

• Administrators

Jimmy Page tribute at funeral of Led Zeppelin superfan

30th June 2011

There was a Whole Lotta Love at the funeral of one of Led Zeppelin's foremost historians on Wednesday.

Guitar hero Jimmy Page sent flowers to remember friend and fan Howard Mylett, who is taking his own Stairway to Heaven after suffering a heart attack.

Flowers spelling out the super-fan's big love – 'Led Zep' – were carried into Woodvale Crematorium in Brighton.

Mr Mylett, 64, who lived with his wife Anita in Victoria Road, Portslade, was known by Led Zeppelin fans internationally.

He was also friendly with the band and had helped them in the past.

The last time he saw Jimmy Page was in November.

Fellow Led Zeppelin historian Dave Lewis, who runs the internet fanzine Tight But Loose, said Mr Mylett's passing would leave a huge gap in the life of Led Zeppelin fans everywhere.

He said: "The response to Howard's sad passing has been truly overwhelming – this display of affection has vividly illustrated the esteem Howard is held in by fans across the world. I know Anita has been deeply touched by this.

"Howard Mylett's influence on generations of Led Zeppelin fans can never be understated. He was the first chronicler of their work and the original author.

Mr Mylett's first printed work on Led Zeppelin appeared in the issue of the NME published prior to their Earls Court shows in May 1975.

It was described at the time as "A bible to the Zeppelin legions".

http://www.theargus....pelin_superfan/

• 4 months later...

Nice find Steve. I actually have the original edition of this book. It was the second Led Zeppelin book I obtained, with the first being Ritchie York's. I actually got Howard's book in a book store in Grand Central Station in NYC on a school field trip, back in the early 1980's. I guess you can tell, what my priorities were back then. :wacko: I had seen this book on a previous trip to NYC, but didn't have enough money to get it then. Was hoping the store would still have it on my return and they did! :yesnod: I was quite bummed for a while as they moved it to a different location in the store and took a while to find it. But once I found it, I was pumped to say the least. :thumbsup: These were the beginnings of me getting into Zeppelin. It didn't take much for me to love this band and just escalated from there and remains as much so today! :bravo:

• 1 year later...

There he is. This seems to be a local news item...can anyone confirm the publication? Perhaps Brighton's primary newspaper, The Argus?

Dave Lewis had posted that picture on facebook in his honor when he died.

Archived