Neil Young

freshmint

What does that even mean? :unsure:

I like both Neil Young and Coldplay, however, if you go back and listen to how Martin sings "Yellow" it may as well be Neil Young on vocals. During an interview with Howard Stern he even jokes about how he was trying to channel Neil Young in vocal style. And that song was Coldplay's breakout single that got them some record label attention.

Edited by Charles J. White

Nash is British.

Indeed he is, Manchester, even, but Graham totally abandoned his British way of life for California in '68, so he might as well be a goddamn Yank at this point :lol: My point was all three of the Frozen Noses' politicizing rubbed off on ol' Shakey...not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing!

I look both Neil Young and Coldplay, however, if you go back and listen to how Martin sings "Yellow" it may as well be Neil Young on vocals. During an interview with Howard Stern he even jokes about how he was trying to channel Neil Young in vocal style. And that song was Coldplay's breakout single that got them some record label attention.

Blaming Neil Young for Coldplay is way out of line. Especially for a Canadian. But it's clear why this group would be desperate to associate themselves with a musician who has artistic integrity.

Long Live The Horse!

Blaming Neil Young for Coldplay is way out of line. Especially for a Canadian. But it's clear why this group would be desperate to associate themselves with a musician who has artistic integrity.

Long Live The Horse!

Well put, Badge. Neil Young has been and remains at the top of integrity, diversity, and staying on the cutting edge - all while not losing who he is as a person and musician.

I like Neil Young. ;)

Do you have any idea why there were so many Neil Young references during Zep shows? Like Robert mocking "Old Man" at Earl's Court, fans yelling "bring on Neil Young" at the legendary 6/21/77 show? That's just to name a couple of instances. Just coincidence? I'm guessing they were friends, based on LZ's love for CSN, Buffalo Springfield, etc. Especially since they jammed with Neil at the HOF induction.

Do you have any idea why there were so many Neil Young references during Zep shows? Like Robert mocking "Old Man" at Earl's Court, fans yelling "bring on Neil Young" at the legendary 6/21/77 show? That's just to name a couple of instances. Just coincidence? I'm guessing they were friends, based on LZ's love for CSN, Buffalo Springfield, etc. Especially since they jammed with Neil at the HOF induction.

Led Zeppelin and Neil Young were a mutual admiration society. Robert, especially, loved Buffalo Springfield and Neil Young's solo stuff, frequently inserting references to "Down by the River", "For What It's Worth", "Cowgirl in the Sand", "Old Man" during Zeppelin concerts.

And Neil Young was almost alone amongst the rock royalty of the time in liking Led Zeppelin. While the Who, the Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, etc. all lined up to take potshots, Neil knew a good thing when he heard one.

As for the "Bring on Neil Young" shout at the 6-21-77 Forum show, I wasn't sitting near those chatterboxes so I can't vouch for his motive, but I am willing to bet it was because Neil Young had recently played the Forum and it was still a rare sight to see a heavy band like Led Zeppelin sit down on chairs and play acoustic instruments. Black Sabbath didn't do it. Deep Purple didn't...nor Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Blue Ôyster Cult, Aerosmith, Rush, etc.

So when Led Zeppelin sat down and played acoustic, it reminded one of Neil Young, who also sat down and did an acoustic set at his concerts.

I have an interview with Robert from after the Ottawa Show 1970-04-14 where he's asked about his current favorite artists and he singles out Neil.

Neil Young has been and remains at the top of integrity, diversity, and staying on the cutting edge - all while not losing who he is as a person and musician.

Amen to that, Walter!

Led Zeppelin and Neil Young were a mutual admiration society. Robert, especially, loved Buffalo Springfield and Neil Young's solo stuff, frequently inserting references to "Down by the River", "For What It's Worth", "Cowgirl in the Sand", "Old Man" during Zeppelin concerts.

And Neil Young was almost alone amongst the rock royalty of the time in liking Led Zeppelin. While the Who, the Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, etc. all lined up to take potshots, Neil knew a good thing when he heard one.

As for the "Bring on Neil Young" shout at the 6-21-77 Forum show, I wasn't sitting near those chatterboxes so I can't vouch for his motive, but I am willing to bet it was because Neil Young had recently played the Forum and it was still a rare sight to see a heavy band like Led Zeppelin sit down on chairs and play acoustic instruments. Black Sabbath didn't do it. Deep Purple didn't...nor Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Blue Ôyster Cult, Aerosmith, Rush, etc.

So when Led Zeppelin sat down and played acoustic, it reminded one of Neil Young, who also sat down and did an acoustic set at his concerts.

I think more specifically -and especially in relation to the "Bring on Neil Young!" remark on 21/6/77- it reminded people of Crosby, Stills and Nash (with or without Young :lol: ) whom Zeppelin sort of resembled with their sitdown acoustic sets. However I'm convinced Neil was actually in attendance at the June 21 show...hence Robert's adlibbed "Well, Neil?!" during "Black Country Woman". Knowing NY was a big Zeppelin fan I wouldn't be surprised if he was attendance for at least one of the LA '77 shows (especially considering he was living in Malibu at the time at the "Zuma" house).

Neil spoke a few times about his wish to make a record with Jimmy Page...ironic that it was Stephen Stills who actually ended up doing it. According to the Shakey bio Zeppelin (presumably with Jason Bonham) were Neil's first choice as his backing group for the Mirror Ball album after Neil played with them at the '95 RRHOF induction. When that didn't come to fruition, that's when NY settled on Pearl Jam.

Edited by Nutrocker

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Neil Young last July and was in pure heaven the whole night.  Even the newer stuff he played that I was not familiar with was so enjoyable because it is just such good music and songwriting.

I actually cried tears of joy during my personal favorite Down By The River.  Oh how I love this man's talent!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...