Neil Young

freshmint

GSTQ is a curious choice for "Americana"?

From a Glide Magazine article about Americana:

Some of these compositions which, like "Tom Dooley" and "Oh Susannah," were written in the 1800s, while others, like "This Land Is Your Land" (utilizing the original, widely misinterpreted "deleted verses") and "Get A Job," are mid-20th-century folk classics. It's also interesting to note that "God Save The Queen," Britain's national anthem, also became the de facto national anthem of sorts before the establishment of The Union as we know it until we came to adopt our very own "The Star Spangled Banner," which has been recognized for use as early as 1889 and made our official national anthem in 1931. Each of these compositions is very much part of the fabric of our American heritage; the roots of what we think of as "Americana" in cultural terms, using songs as a way of passing along information and documenting our past.

Does anyone here actually own the blue-ray edition of Neil Young's Archives ? It's pretty pricey at $299. I am interested, but looking for some feedback. Also curious as to what kind of additional updated material you've been allowed to download since purchasing the set.

A friend of mine who's truly a Neil fanatic owes it. I've listened to it with him and the Massey Hall and the Fillmore shows are truly remarkable. I have both of these on regular CD and there's no comparison, the Blu Ray Massey especially makes you think you're literally in the audience. I don't know what stuff he's downloaded though, I'll have to ask. I do see that they offer the archive box in mp3 format free for people who've purchased it already.

A friend of mine who's truly a Neil fanatic owes it. I've listened to it with him and the Massey Hall and the Fillmore shows are truly remarkable. I have both of these on regular CD and there's no comparison, the Blu Ray Massey especially makes you think you're literally in the audience. I don't know what stuff he's downloaded though, I'll have to ask. I do see that they offer the archive box in mp3 format free for people who've purchased it already.

It's my understanding that once you purchase the blue-ray set, you are able to continue to update it through downloads. I'm wondering how extensive that is. I bought a new blue-ray player, updated my receiver, cords, and sub-woofer at the same time. Everything sounds fresh, which is a fine place to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The trailer for Jonathan Demme's upcoming Neil Young film, Journeys:

Description from YouTube:

A look at Neil Young's 2011 solo tour to Toronto's Massey Hall, an iconic venue in the city of his birth. At sixty-five, Young retains a youthful vitality and musical curiosity. Concert footage of the Massey Hall performances is interspersed with scenes from a road trip through Ontario. Driving a 1956 Ford Crown Victoria, Young visits the rural town of Omemee, where he spent a key part of his formative years, and reminisces about his former neighbors. As he drives past the dramatically changed landscape, Young fondly embraces his memories of the past.

Don't believe this has been posted yet, but Neil Young is coming out with an autobiography October 2nd, 2012. "Waging Heavy Peace" is available for pre-order on Amazon currently for $17.21 (reg.$30.00). This is what the little info box says.

"An iconic figure in the history of rock and pop culture (inducted not once but twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Neil Young has written his eagerly awaited memoir: 'I felt that writing books fit me like a glove; I just started and I just kept going'. Young offers a kaleidoscopic view of his personal life and musical career, spanning his time in bands Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills & Nash, and his role as the patron saint of the grunge scene; and moving from the snows of Ontario through the LSD-laden boulevards of 1966 Los Angeles to the contemplative paradise of Hawaii today. Candid, witty and revealing, this book takes its place beside the classic memoirs of Bob Dylan and Keith Richards"*

41T3wZ2jz5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't wait for this as there are not many books out there on Neil Young and this should be a good one!........ :) Missy

*(from the Amazon site)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse North American Tour

Oct-3 Windsor, ON—WFCU Centre (*)

Oct-5 Kingston, ON—K-ROCK Centre (*)

Oct-6 London, ON—John Labatt Centre (*)

Oct-8 Cleveland, OH—Wolstein Center (*)

Oct-9 Pittsburgh, PA—Petersen Events Center (*)

Oct-11 Chicago, IL—United Center (*)

Oct-13 Austin, TX—Austin City Limits Festival

Oct-14 Tulsa, OK—Tulsa Convention Center Arena (*)

Oct-17 Los Angeles, CA—Hollywood Bowl (*)

Nov-10 Seattle, WA—Key Arena (*)

Nov-11 Vancouver, BC—Rogers Arena (*)

Nov-13 Calgary, AB—Scotiabank Saddledome (*)

Nov-14 Saskatoon, SK—Credit Union Centre (*)

Nov-16 Winnipeg, MB—MTS Centre (*)

Nov-19 Toronto, ON—Air Canada Centre (*)

Nov-23 Montreal, QC—Bell Centre (#)

Nov-24 Ottawa, ON—Scotiabank Place (#)

Nov-26 Boston, MA—TD Garden (#)

Nov-27 New York, NY—Madison Square Garden (#)

Nov-29 Philadelphia, PA—Wells Fargo Center (#)

Nov-30 Fairfax, VA—Patriot Center (#)

Dec-4 Bridgeport, CT—Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard (#)

(*) = w/ Los Lobos

(#) = w/ Patti Smith

Neil Young & Crazy Horse North American Tour

Oct-3 Windsor, ON—WFCU Centre (*)

Oct-5 Kingston, ON—K-ROCK Centre (*)

Oct-6 London, ON—John Labatt Centre (*)

Oct-8 Cleveland, OH—Wolstein Center (*)

Oct-9 Pittsburgh, PA—Petersen Events Center (*)

Oct-11 Chicago, IL—United Center (*)

Oct-13 Austin, TX—Austin City Limits Festival

Oct-14 Tulsa, OK—Tulsa Convention Center Arena (*)

Oct-17 Los Angeles, CA—Hollywood Bowl (*)

Nov-10 Seattle, WA—Key Arena (*)

Nov-11 Vancouver, BC—Rogers Arena (*)

Nov-13 Calgary, AB—Scotiabank Saddledome (*)

Nov-14 Saskatoon, SK—Credit Union Centre (*)

Nov-16 Winnipeg, MB—MTS Centre (*)

Nov-19 Toronto, ON—Air Canada Centre (*)

Nov-23 Montreal, QC—Bell Centre (#)

Nov-24 Ottawa, ON—Scotiabank Place (#)

Nov-26 Boston, MA—TD Garden (#)

Nov-27 New York, NY—Madison Square Garden (#)

Nov-29 Philadelphia, PA—Wells Fargo Center (#)

Nov-30 Fairfax, VA—Patriot Center (#)

Dec-4 Bridgeport, CT—Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard (#)

(*) = w/ Los Lobos

(#) = w/ Patti Smith

At times like these I wish I didn't live on the other side of the world to most of you on here. Man, I hope he announces a world tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Americana is a success out of the gate! Showing at #4 on Billboards Top 200, and at #1 on their Top Rock albums chart. Also, after less than a weeks release the album/cd Americana is at #3 on Amazon in their Bestsellers in Music (Rock). On sale now at Amazon for $9.99. Rock on Neil and Crazy Horse. :)