Zep's importance in Rock n Roll History

McSeven

What do you all think that Zep contributed in R/R history that other bands did not? What about them set them apart from other bands. I think it was there sound more than anything. If the Beatles had vocal melodies to hook you. Zeppelin had the riffs and sound that was there hook. When you think of Zeppelin. Most people start humming the riffs.

Thats my quick take.

Hmmm.... Lately, I'm afraid their legacy has been threatened by all these sudden accusations of thievery and whatnot. It seems to me that they were seen as real innovators for a long time, and now people are kinda seeing them as people who took ideas from other people and made them better. I dunno if that's a fair assessment, though. Maybe I'm just seeing things!

They'll be remembered as a sharp, antipathetic answer to the idealism of the 60s? A refreshing lack of politics? A return to the very basic, human urges and longings behind the music that made rock n' roll? And geniuses, too, of course. :) Good question, Mr. McSeven.

What do you all think that Zep contributed in R/R history that other bands did not? What about them set them apart from other bands. I think it was there sound more than anything. If the Beatles had vocal melodies to hook you. Zeppelin had the riffs and sound that was there hook. When you think of Zeppelin. Most people start humming the riffs.

Thats my quick take.

They had talent, aggressive marketing and took advantage of their opportunities.

They had talent, aggressive marketing and took advantage of their opportunities.

Ah! I forgot about that. Yes. Remarkable from a business perspective, so I guess we have to include some praise in this thread for Mr. Grant, too!

One of the biggest legacies has to be Jimmy's production techniques. His sole thumbprint on all of their music (as varied as it is) is so remarkable!

He had 3 other genius musicians who had to have trusted him implicitly with their sound!!! Something very few groups of another era can say, Zep's catalog of music still sounds current and fresh!!!

i don't know but they really have hit a nerve,,,,,i go in and play what i believe to be fairly obscure shit to the novice fan................and see people really getting in to it...........constantly..........so.........it amazes even me

Archived