Please Recommend some Blues-Rock!

Having discovered the blues for the first time by means of Led Zeppelin, I'd thought that I have yet to discover a fantastic genre. I have listened to Cream and Stevie Ray Vaugh, and Jimi Hendrix. But that was it.

So I thought I get some of your opinions, this being a ledzep forum and all.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Ancel! Welcome to the joys of blues-rock! Although it can be a minefield, too, with all sorts of bogus pretenders wasting your time and precious money. I am going to try and give you a well-rounded answer, with past and current blues-rock faves of mine. They only let you post so many images or clips in one post here, so it'll have to be a multi-part answer.

I have certain parameters that I set for me to consider a band "blues-rock"...not that I'm a purist or anything. I'm not one of those that is a stickler for AUTHENTICITY....otherwise I wouldn't be a Led Zeppelin fan. I have no problem with fakers, as long as they fake with CONVICTION, or authenticity, as it were.

In other words, NO Journey. :lol:

As you said, you've already discovered Cream, Jimi Hendrix and SRV, so I won't have to list those.

Anyway, let's begin with some old classics...

John Mayall "Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton"

61ZxMDpGsuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Mayall "Turning Point"

51fHIjomLbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fleetwood Mac "Live in Boston 1970 Volumes 1, 2 & 3"

51S1lD5nxvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fleetwood Mac "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC"

51qG579%2BMNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Michael Bloomfield "Live at Bill Grahams Fillmore West 1969"

61i-37GqyLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

More classics...

Allman Brothers Band "Live at Fillmore East"

61R-SjykMBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Allman Brothers Band "Eat a Peach"

41M6hxFOVRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rory Gallagher "Irish Tour"

51FSqsEtbmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rory Gallagher "Live in Europe"

51nu3AY6VnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Robin Trower "Live"

5162TNNWp1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

More to come, Ancel...but these should get you started.

The Yardbirds famously had three amazing guitarists in quick succession, Clapton, Beck and Page - Mayall in the 1960's had Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor. So, get not just the fabulous and already mentioned 'Bluesbreakers' album (an essential album) but also 'A Hard Road' and 'Blues From Laurel Canyon'.

Some samples from both albums...

Different Freddie King but this record from one of my older brothers' album collection was always essential listening. I also always thought it was cool that it was released on Leon Russell's imprint, Shelter Records:

51BYY9EXV2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh you good people, you! :) I can't really thank you guys and gals enough. :D

So far I got album-blueprint.jpg

and Jeff Beck's, Jeff-Beck-Truth---Red-Vinyl-365979.jpg because it's somewhat highly recommend not only on this forum but elsewhere too.

I also got several Fleetwood Mac albums, the ones with Peter Green.

I'm absolutely gonna acquire most of the stuff recommended here. I really appreciated that some even took time to specify certain records/pieces that are high points in an artist's period and elaborate on why they find it the best.

I have a question though, its been bugging me.. I got a CSNY record, very very basic, my first of the band, called Deja Vu. One of its tracks, Almost Cut My Hair, I found its melodious riff riveting. Is it blues? It sure sounded like it. :blink: Pardon my ignorance.

;)

For those that may have never heard of them, Box of Frogs were Chris Dreja, Paul Samwell-Smith, and Jim McCarty (formerly of The Yardbirds), plus John Fiddler on lead vocals. At least that was the line up for their debut record.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived