JPJ - Minibus Pimps

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

MINIBUS PIMPS

John Paul Jones and Helge Sten (from Supersilent) announce the debut performance of a new and unique collaboration entitled 'Minibus Pimps' at this year's Punkt Festival in Kristiansand, Norway.

Using electronics, samplers, processors, instruments and ipads, the duo will be creating instrumental improvisations that will at times be ferocious and at other times intricate.

Come and take a ride with us!

• 2 months later...

so much for TCV? :huh:

I certainly hope not! Much like Homme's and Grohl's other projects/bands they are associated with, they will come back to work with them in due time. Since the Foos are promoting their latest with touring the world, it'll take some time.... Seemed like they all enjoyed playing together too much to just abandon TVC. They said ideas for the second album were worked on already. Anyway, JPJ certainly has kept busy these past few years! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

JPJ interview - http://www.morgenweb...0002462646.html

Google Translation:

Interview: Ex-Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones on his performance with the Minibus Pimps in the Old Fire Station. "You will not fall asleep!"

- Jörg-Peter Klotz

As a bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones was a member of the greatest rock bands ever: Led Zeppelin. On Monday, 14 November, wants the 65-year-old Briton at the Old Fire Station Mannheim at the second appearance of the duo Minibus Pimps explore entirely new sound spaces. In our interview, he gives an insight into the unusual sound.

Mr. Jones, previously there was only one appearance at the point of Minibus Pimps festival in Norway. Can you explain what you and Helge Sten can happen on stage - or is it completely open?

John Paul Jones: (laughs) It's been very open. Since there is a kind of map, supplied by the computer programs and music Kyma language. We play instruments, Helge bass guitar and I to control the sounds of the processors. And Ipads. Within this map, we improvise. For this reason, no one knows exactly what will happen. There will be textures, sounds, noise arise. But also notes ... (Laughs), but not very many. I can promise you that it sounds very intense - you will not fall asleep!

What attracts you to such experimental music?

Jones: I improvise for a long time, electronic music has always interested me. When Led Zeppelin we have used very early synthesizer. It was just always a problem to control the sound. Emerged as a computer, which was the next step. After that, I've been involved for example in John Cage's Musicircus.

On the other hand, you currently play with a lot of blues rockers Seasick Steve comparatively simple blues-rock - you need both sides of the musical coin?

Jones: Music has more than two pages! It is always the same phenomenon, there are just different ways to play it. Monday I play with Helge, then with Seasick Steve, back in March when John Cage - for me that is always the same game and everything exists side by side. Also, I'm currently writing on a classic opera based on Strindberg's "Ghost Sonata".

What do you find important for the general development of music: Experiments in Sound Lab à la Minibus Pimps or redefining traditional styles that you maintain with different partners?

Jones: Again, there is room for both. Music must stay alive. Therefore one must not only look into the past. Without experiments, it has no future. But anyway, the old styles important and valuable: There is still much to talk about the blues and in rock music. I will always love to play bass, guitar, mandolin or fiddle in a band. But I also do this in order to renew music - a development takes place here all by itself. Quite natural.

On the concept of the imported Enjoy Jazz Festival is one point that then remixed live concerts. Listen to the "After-Show" by Sidsel Endresen, Jan Bang and Erik Honoré on?

Jones: Sure. This is a great idea. I find it very interesting to see how other people play the material.

Led Zeppelin's 40 year old ballad "Stairway To Heaven" is still winning the most votes on the most popular rock song. Find this backward?

Jones: Oh, it's always good when people like your music. Why should I interfere with that?

As of 2010 it Them Crooked Vultures played at Rock am Ring, sprayed between you and drummer Dave Grohl of the spark. If he were not ideal for a Led Zeppelin reunion?

Jones: There are no Led Zeppelin reunion! But Dave and I have been a very good rhythm section (laughs). And he has blasted because he enjoys his time to not only a drummer and front man like the Foo Fighters.

In 1980 two were the last Led Zeppelin concerts with the late drummer John Bonham in Mannheim. Do you have a memory of the city?

Jones: That is difficult. On this kind of tour you do not see much other than sedans and airports. But there were a lot of Americans in the audience, I know it well.

--

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

That sounds like it could be very creative, great name as well. Beats something lame like both their last names together.

Jones gets it. He's the star of the last decade, easily.

Seriously..."star of the last decade"...what does that make Robert Plant?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my more whimsical moments I wonder if JPJ is drawn to musical projects with outrageous or humorous names. First he produced for the Butthole Surfers, then he formed Them Crooked Vultures and now he's going to be a Minibus Pimp.

• 9 months later...

Archived