Local feeding habits.

reswati

Hi all,

Maybe a new thread is in order,.....? Local feeding habits,here in NE we do consume the 'staples' as else were in the this part of country.

However,NE does in it's way have some food,as elsewhere unique in the world:

Baked beans(Boston) a slow cooked dish.Boston brown bread.

Clams!Steamers,fried and of course chowder,or chowdar :D or the wonderful clam bake,....

Native corn.

Lobster!Steamed,baked,a pie, or in a stew,....Italian,...... ;)

KB

Don't forget Fluffer nutter sandwiches. God, I lived on those growing up.

Fluff, for the unacquainted, is melted marshmallow. You buy it in a plastic tub(with a red cover), and it lasts FOREVER.

Hi all,

Just you! :D

Explain it to them,....a Fluff-n- nutter if PB on one side and marshmellow fluff on the other side of good old Wonder bread! ;)

KB

Well done! The ultimate New England after school snack. For real.

Hi all,

Just bustin' chops,nothing more,..... :notworthy:

KB

I know. Me too!

Have a splendid weekend, my Boston buddy. Hope you get to see some sights at Revere beach!

Hugs.

I used to work with a girl from Revere..scared the ever-livin shit out of me. But I loved her!

SD,

I don't think there is a difference other than something today called a frankfurter like 'Vienna Sausage' brand of "hot dogs" have that natural casing that tastes better. Obviously the first immigrant street vendors in New York were putting frankfurters on buns, so the hot dog name had to come later.

In some places hot dogs are also called "red hots", and some older New Yorkers still call them "Coney's" or "Coney- Islands" after the seaside amusement park where hot dogs first gained their popularity.

Good question.

Cheers,

Brad

Good info Brad , you seem to be well informed on this subject and many others as well.

Actually there is a difference between a hot dog and a frankfurter. A hot dog is on a bun while a frankfurter isn't. I'm pretty sure that's the difference. This is good basic trivia and I'm sure few would know this.

Good info Brad , you seem to be well informed on this subject and many others as well.

Actually there is a difference between a hot dog and a frankfurter. A hot dog is on a bun while a frankfurter isn't. I'm pretty sure that's the difference. This is good basic trivia and I'm sure few would know this.

What do you mean - the sausage on its own is a frankfurter, and when it's in a bun the whole thing becomes a hot dog? That's what I always thought.

But what about other types of sausage, e.g. bratwurst? Do they also become hot dogs when placed in a bun? Or is it only frankfurters that can become hot dogs?

What do you mean - the sausage on its own is a frankfurter, and when it's in a bun the whole thing becomes a hot dog? That's what I always thought.

But what about other types of sausage, e.g. bratwurst? Do they also become hot dogs when placed in a bun? Or is it only frankfurters that can become hot dogs?

Not sure about this. You may have to ask someone from Germany regarding the details.

Hi all,

The genuine frankfurter comes from Neu-Isenburg a small town on the road from Frankfurt to Darmstadt. In the original is made of prime lean pork a little salted bacon fat and it is then finely chopped into a smooth paste put into pork casings and smoked. It is a high quality traditional German sausage.

The stuff we call hot dogs is made from very different stuff. One recipe calls for 27% each beef and pork "trimmings" (one can only guess what that means), 24% pig cheek, 13% tripe, and 9% pig heart. To this is added iced water at 1/3 the weight of the meat and it is stuffed into Narrow Bullock Runners and smoked. All sorts of variations exist with various additives and spices. Okerman's book lists over 100 different formulations and the list of possible additives approaches 50! Ich!

Probably the most famous American hot dog was originated by a guy named Nathan Handwerker and is still marketed as Nathan's Great Coney Island Frankfurter. It is 100% beef plus seasonings. Two very famous 1915 era entertainers, Eddie Cantor and Jimmy Durante (both of whom loved hot dogs) backed Nathan to open his business.

Prior to that time it is unclear who invented the American version and there are conflicting claims to that honor.

KB

Home grown tomatoes, preferably Hanover. The best summer food ever. :)

Growing up, sometimes my mom would make us wedges of tomatoes with some salad dressing as dinner. She'd buy these huge Beefsteak tomatoes and cut them in wedges, and you could either pour a little salad dressing over them with some salt and pepper, or dip the wedges into a small dollop of it on your plate.

Either way, that was some good eatin' in the summer. Who wants to stand over a stove when the heat index is 115?

Growing up, sometimes my mom would make us wedges of tomatoes with some salad dressing as dinner. She'd buy these huge Beefsteak tomatoes and cut them in wedges, and you could either pour a little salad dressing over them with some salt and pepper, or dip the wedges into a small dollop of it on your plate.

Either way, that was some good eatin' in the summer. Who wants to stand over a stove when the heat index is 115?

They are soooooo good! :) Even just plain. And with homegrown cucumbers too...

Archived