Presence

Vidvandre

Anyone knows?

Possible to get replicas?

There was no "original" Object. The one you see on the Presence album was artwork that was superimposed into all the pictures. There was no actual Object at the time.

The band then commissioned a company in New York called ALVA Museum Replicas to make 1000 "real" Objects to be given away as promotional items for the Presence album. They came in a brown cardboard box (see pic below) and were individually numbered. Most people opened the boxes (and then threw them away) so they could see the Object. The few remaining ones that were never opened (like mine) are worth thousands today.

Typically, "real" Objects from the original run of 1000 run between $800-$1600 without the box, and a little higher with the opened box. Currently, there is one on eBay for sale right now.

In the early 80's, there were two runs of what are known as "replica" Objects (copies, fakes, bootlegs, etc.) and those runs were only a couple hundred each even though they are numbered as if a 1000 were made, which isn't the case. They're slightly different in appearance, size, and color than the originals and typically sell for anywhere from $100 - $500 dollars. Just depends on the demand at any given moment.

By the way, each band member was given an Object that has absolutely no writing on them whatsoever, unlike the originals and replicas. Jimmy Page revealed this during an interview for a Hard Rock special that aired on VH1 some time back.

If you have any questions that I can help you with, or assist you if you're thinking about bidding on one on eBay, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out so you don't get ripped off.

And that concludes our Object lesson of the day! :D

Objects.jpg

• 1 month later...
There was no "original" Object. The one you see on the Presence album was artwork that was superimposed into all the pictures. There was no actual Object at the time.

The band then commissioned a company in New York called ALVA Museum Replicas to make 1000 "real" Objects to be given away as promotional items for the Presence album. They came in a brown cardboard box (see pic below) and were individually numbered. Most people opened the boxes (and then threw them away) so they could see the Object. The few remaining ones that were never opened (like mine) are worth thousands today.

Typically, "real" Objects from the original run of 1000 run between $800-$1600 without the box, and a little higher with the opened box. Currently, there is one on eBay for sale right now.

In the early 80's, there were two runs of what are known as "replica" Objects (copies, fakes, bootlegs, etc.) and those runs were only a couple hundred each even though they are numbered as if a 1000 were made, which isn't the case. They're slightly different in appearance, size, and color than the originals and typically sell for anywhere from $100 - $500 dollars. Just depends on the demand at any given moment.

By the way, each band member was given an Object that has absolutely no writing on them whatsoever, unlike the originals and replicas. Jimmy Page revealed this during an interview for a Hard Rock special that aired on VH1 some time back.

If you have any questions that I can help you with, or assist you if you're thinking about bidding on one on eBay, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out so you don't get ripped off.

And that concludes our Object lesson of the day! :D

Objects.jpg

Wow! SteveAJones might have to retire now.

:D

• 1 year later...

Believe it or not, I bought a "replica" of the Object in the late 1980's for about $20 and used to display it some years later (1990's) in the living room of my apartment. Now, unfortunately, I have NO idea what happened to it. I haven't seen it in years. One thing I do know is that I still have it somewhere because even though it was not an "original", I know that I would never discard it for any reason. It seems that it is "Nobody's Fault But Mine" that I happened to misplace it (for now).

Archived