Woodstock 69' facts game

LedZep342

The Great Martin Scorsese was at Woodstock and was also an editor on the film.

This is one paragraph (of a much longer story/article) straight from Marty himself:

"My perspective on Woodstock is . . . limited. How limited? Well, for most of that long weekend in August 1969, I was confined to a platform about 9ft wide, just to the right of the stage, just below a bank of amplifiers, fiercely concentrating on the musicians and their perfor­mances. I was to be one of the Woodstock film’s editors, and my job was to keep an eye out for images we would need when we started to put it together. We had seven cameramen working every performance and, to the degree that I could communicate with them (surprisingly well, all hardships considered), I was trying to direct their attention to activity they could not perceive, since their eyes were glued to their viewfinders".

Cancelled Acts

Jeff Beck Group (The band broke up in July, forcing cancellation)

Iron Butterfly (Stuck at the airport, their manager demanded helicopters and special arrangements just for them. Were wired back and told, as impolitely as Western Union would allow, "to get lost", but in other 'words'.)

Joni Mitchell (Joni's agent put her on "The Dick Cavett Show" instead)

Lighthouse (Feared that it would be a "bad scene".)

Ethan Brown (Arrested for LSD three days before the event.)

Declined Invitations

The Beatles (John Lennon said he couldn't get them together)

Led Zeppelin (Got a higher paying gig at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey that weekend)

Bob Dylan (Turned it down because of his disgust of the hippies hanging around his house)

The Byrds (Turned it down because of a melee during their performance at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival, held at the Atlanta International Raceway on July 4 and July 5, 1969)

Tommy James & the Shondells (Turned it down because of being misinformed about the size and scope of the event)

Jethro Tull (Turned it down because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.)

The Moody Blues were included in the original posters as performers, but backed out after taking a gig in Paris on the same weekend.

Spirit (they had other shows planned and did not want to back out of their commitments; not knowing how big that Woodstock would ultimately become)

Mind Garage (Declined because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere)

Here's a fact: 99.9% of the world is sick of Woodstock, sick of hearing about it, sick of the imagery used from it, sick of hearing about the mud, sick of the endless and pointless and inevitably embarrassing anniversary celebrations.

Especially after the massive vomiting of nostalgic hippie euphoria in 2009 for the 40th anniversary.

Oooh, I bet you just can't wait for the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert where they'll wheel out Wavy Gravy, David Crosby, Joan Baez, Melanie...and for the kids, Justin Bieber and the latest American Idol clown, all dressed in tie-dyed hippie finery from Old Navy.

Barf.

Here's a fact: 99.9% of the world is sick of Woodstock, sick of hearing about it, sick of the imagery used from it, sick of hearing about the mud, sick of the endless and pointless and inevitably embarrassing anniversary celebrations.

Especially after the massive vomiting of nostalgic hippie euphoria in 2009 for the 40th anniversary.

Oooh, I bet you just can't wait for the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert where they'll wheel out Wavy Gravy, David Crosby, Joan Baez, Melanie...and for the kids, Justin Bieber and the latest American Idol clown, all dressed in tie-dyed hippie finery from Old Navy.

Barf.

Well, everyone has there own opinion about the concert.

So I was just wondering how much everyone knows about woodstock, I'll start off:

315,000 feet of film shot for Woodstock film (120 hours if shown straight through)

Hi LedZep342, I know a lot about Woodstock because I've lived it, vicariously, through close friends and family members who were there. Something I recently learned:

In an interview Richie Havens said he was scheduled to open with festival by playing only four songs but because of the traffic jams (bands and fans stuck in traffic) he played for nearly 3 hours (he may have exaggerated the amount of time), performing nearly every song he knew.

I was in late elementary school at the time so I didn't attend but my older friends (including cousins) who were in junior high and high school then did go to Woodstock. It may sound like an exaggeration but they say it was a pivotal and critical and defining time in their lives. Although "Woodstock" has been branded and commercialized, I think most of the music (Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shankar, Santana, Janis Joplin, etc.) has stood the test of time.

Here's my own something to share what I have in common with Woodstock. In July of 1969 I was about five years old and my family was getting ready to move to Connecticut from Northern New Jersey. We had two cars. One was a station wagon and the other was a blue Dodge Dart. We couldn't bring two cars to CT so we only kept the station wagon. My parents sold the Dart to my next door neighbor's son who was about 18 or 19 at the time. A couple of months later, my parents were talking to our former neighbors and heard that their son had driven the car up to Woodstock for the festival. I thought, that was kind of cool when I first heard that.

Here's my own something to share what I have in common with Woodstock. In July of 1969 I was about five years old and my family was getting ready to move to Connecticut from Northern New Jersey. We had two cars. One was a station wagon and the other was a blue Dodge Dart. We couldn't bring two cars to CT so we only kept the station wagon. My parents sold the Dart to my next door neighbor's son who was about 18 or 19 at the time. A couple of months later, my parents were talking to our former neighbors and heard that their son had driven the car up to Woodstock for the festival. I thought, that was kind of cool when I first heard that.

Oh, that's neat SuperDave, I live in Conn.!:D If only I was alive then...

Hi LedZep342, I know a lot about Woodstock because I've lived it, vicariously, through close friends and family members who were there. Something I recently learned:

In an interview Richie Havens said he was scheduled to open with festival by playing only four songs but because of the traffic jams (bands and fans stuck in traffic) he played for nearly 3 hours (he may have exaggerated the amount of time), performing nearly every song he knew.

I was in late elementary school at the time so I didn't attend but my older friends (including cousins) who were in junior high and high school then did go to Woodstock. It may sound like an exaggeration but they say it was a pivotal and critical and defining time in their lives. Although "Woodstock" has been branded and commercialized, I think most of the music (Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shankar, Santana, Janis Joplin, etc.) has stood the test of time.

Oh, that's neat 'MadScreamingGallery!:D I actually have some Outtake footage of Woodstock on my channel, LZProjects.

The Woodstock festival was huge when it happened but memories fade quickly enough. I really think the film that was released in 1970 made "Woodstock Nation". The rest of us who couldn't go because of distance or that our parents wouldn't allow us to go (me) got a chance to share in what the experience was all about.

Now though? I think re-releasing the film and soundtracks over and over again is overkill.

There were 2 recorded births at the festival. One in the traffic jam and one who was airlifted to the nearby hospital.

There were also 2 recorded deaths. One beleived to be an heroin overdose and one when a tractor ran over an attendee sleeping in his bag in a nearby hayfield.

I'd never heard of the event back then til the movie came out. Same with Altamont. I guess Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. B)

John Cassavetes shot 1,250,000 feet of film on 'Woman Under The Influence'

:o

Barf.

Not that I do not disagree with you, however, I would not call it a fact that 99.9% of the world is sick of Woodstock. I would call that an opinion, unless you actually had facts to back up your claim. Just because you happen to be sick(ened) of the whole Woodstock phenomenon that does not mean that 99.9% of the rest of the world shares your opinion (which is actually not a fact). If that were a fact, that would mean that over 5 billion people who inhabit this planet Earth would agree with you. I hardly think that is the actual case. Am I wrong in my assessment?

bunch of hippies(sic) flopping around in the mud

music..........eh...........passable..........yet mostly crappy

i prefer live aid ;)

Well I once had Live Aid on VHS. Certianly the fact that Led Zeppelin, or their reunion was part of it made it great. Except for Phil collins and his brutal drumming. But Woodstock, you have to give it more credit than that. there were many there that were legendary that were not at Live Aid.

Well I once had Live Aid on VHS. Certianly the fact that Led Zeppelin, or their reunion was part of it made it great. Except for Phil collins and his brutal drumming. But Woodstock, you have to give it more credit than that. there were many there that were legendary that were not at Live Aid.

Live Aid is actually available on DVD these days, sm. They're like CDs, only it's movies instead of music - or sometimes both. Only problem is, you won't get to see LZ on the DVD. They refused to let it be included, on account of Phil C's terrible drunken drumming.

Archived