Metallica and Led Zeppelin

Just want to say that I am not saying Metallica is the best choice or would even be considered. I am just saying as a huge fan of both bands, I could see it being done for a couple shows just like when Metallica opened for the Rolling Stones in '05.

I could see it being done for a couple shows just like when Metallica opened for the Rolling Stones in '05.

Here's the difference, the Stones have been on the road virtually non stop since 65. Anyone who wanted to see them certainly had their chance. Zeppelin hasn't played the States since 77 and this would likely be the last time. Why would anyone want to have to deal with Metallica fans crashing the party, while Zep fans are shut out?

Metallica will be around for a long time, let Zeppelin have their last moment in the sun on their own.

I think the bill would work... but as a Zeppelin fan there's no way I'd wanna stand in the middle of bunch of moshing Metallica fans. Did you see the crows at Woodstock II? Horrible!

And that is what audiences - especially in the US - have regressed to... Mudchucking, moshing, violent, disrespectful & hateful (how many rapes were there at Woodstock?). Personally I just wouldn't want to stand in a field, stadium or arena with a crowd like that.

I am indifferent when it comes to Metallica.

I don't think they're great, but they certainly don't suck.

I must admit, I did think a lot more of them after seeing them live.

But I'd have to give a thumbs-down to this idea, simply because I do not think it is a good pairing.

You could tell the Bonnaroo rumors were complete BS - when they said Led Zep would open for

Metallica. Yeah - AS IF!

I don't think even the guys in Metallica would permit that to happen.

I imagine, out of genuine respect, THEY would offer to open such a show.

THE CULT isn't a bad choice.

Are they better than Metallica? Depends who you ask, but their music is much

closer in style to Led Zep's than Metallica's, so IMHO that makes them a better fit.

Personally, I'd like to see a rotation of bands warming-up different segments of the tour (provided

there IS a tour). In addition to The Cult, I wouldn't mind seeing Sammy Hagar, Santana, or someone along those lines open such a show.

Or Billy Squier........if anyone can find him! LOL!

It doesn't matter what decade it is, Zeppelin doesn't need an opening act. They would sell out any venue on their own within minutes. Other than you wanting to see it, why would they need Metallica?

They don't need an opening act true, but I think they want to start giving other bands and other musicians a chance for an opportunity to share the stage with Led Zeppelin. Every band and musician out there want to share the stage with Led Zeppelin who wouldn't? Maybe Jimmy Page will make Dave Grohl's dream come true by making the Foo Fighters share the stage with them down the road.

Harvey Goldsmith is the one in charge for the Ahmet O2 show right? He is the Led Zeppelin promoter/manager.

If Led Zeppelin truly didn't want an opening act for the O2 gig, then I assure you, that Harvey would give their wishes happily. All them opening acts for the O2 gig, Foreigner, Bill Wyman and the Rhythym Kings, etc., those bands got the gig not only 'cause they were part of Atlantic records with Ahmet, Zeppelin wanted to give those bands an opportunity to open for Led Zeppelin. To give those opening acts more recognition.

Foreigner has gotten more recognition since opening for Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin had opening acts at the O2 because they simply wanted to give other bands an opportunity.

Led Zeppelin can play the entire gig themselves by playing the full 4 hours worth of material if they wanted to without any opening acts. Led Zeppelin has always been very supportive of other bands and musicians.

Metallica sharing the stage with Led Zeppelin is the music industry's dream come true. Two gods of rock all on the same stage. I definitely see Led Zeppelin doing shows with other bands, they've been extremely supportive of today's music as of late.

That's why.

They don't need an opening act true, but I think they want to start giving other bands and other musicians a chance for an opportunity to share the stage with Led Zeppelin. Every band and musician out there want to share the stage with Led Zeppelin who wouldn't? Maybe Jimmy Page will make Dave Grohl's dream come true by making the Foo Fighters share the stage with them down the road.

Harvey Goldsmith is the one in charge for the Ahmet O2 show right? He is the Led Zeppelin promoter/manager.

If Led Zeppelin truly didn't want an opening act for the O2 gig, then I assure you, that Harvey would give their wishes happily. All them opening acts for the O2 gig, Foreigner, Bill Wyman and the Rhythym Kings, etc., those bands got the gig not only 'cause they were part of Atlantic records with Ahmet, Zeppelin wanted to give those bands an opportunity to open for Led Zeppelin. To give those opening acts more recognition.

Foreigner has gotten more recognition since opening for Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin had opening acts at the O2 because they simply wanted to give other bands an opportunity.

Led Zeppelin can play the entire gig themselves by playing the full 4 hours worth of material if they wanted to without any opening acts. Led Zeppelin has always been very supportive of other bands and musicians.

Metallica sharing the stage with Led Zeppelin is the music industry's dream come true. Two gods of rock all on the same stage. I definitely see Led Zeppelin doing shows with other bands, they've been extremely supportive of today's music as of late.

That's why.

Excellent answer. I'm a huge fan of both Metallica and Zeppelin. That being said, I can see the pros and cons of them sharing a stage. Led Zeppelin obviously doesnt need any opening acts and neither does Metallica. However, neither band is going to do a 3-4 hour set anymore either. Jimmy Page has stated that, and the guys in Metallica usually do about 2 hours 20 minutes these days. The above poster mentioned how Zeppelin has been supportive of other bands; Page visited Metallica in their dressing room before their gig @ Wembley in July(the day after Live Earth) and watched the show from a private box. Metallica shows are not crazy, fighting mosh-pit insanities of the late 80's early 1990's anymore either. Many fans are in their late 30's/40's/early 50's and bring their kids. It's not a tea party but in general, a much more intense atmosphere focusing on the live energy from the stage minus idiots everywhere-- but as someone who has been going to rock shows for almost 30 years; you'll always have the few idiots here and there.

Should be interesting to see what transpires in the next few months.

I don't mind Metallica's music, but that's not the time or place, if you ask me. I know their shows aren't as chaotic as they used to be, but there's just something about the general attitude of a lot of their fans that I don't think I should have to put up with at a Led Zeppelin show. It's not really the moshing that bothers me (I've been to dozens of punk shows, and I'm not talking about Green Day), but it just seems like there's this element of machismo there where everybody thinks they have to prove how hardcore and badass they are one way or another. I just don't think we need that at a Zep show.

Excellent answer. I'm a huge fan of both Metallica and Zeppelin. That being said, I can see the pros and cons of them sharing a stage. Led Zeppelin obviously doesnt need any opening acts and neither does Metallica. However, neither band is going to do a 3-4 hour set anymore either. Jimmy Page has stated that, and the guys in Metallica usually do about 2 hours 20 minutes these days. The above poster mentioned how Zeppelin has been supportive of other bands; Page visited Metallica in their dressing room before their gig @ Wembley in July(the day after Live Earth) and watched the show from a private box. Metallica shows are not crazy, fighting mosh-pit insanities of the late 80's early 1990's anymore either. Many fans are in their late 30's/40's/early 50's and bring their kids. It's not a tea party but in general, a much more intense atmosphere focusing on the live energy from the stage minus idiots everywhere-- but as someone who has been going to rock shows for almost 30 years; you'll always have the few idiots here and there.

Should be interesting to see what transpires in the next few months.

Exactly, great post and thanks for getting where I am getting at.

I don't mind Metallica's music, but that's not the time or place, if you ask me. I know their shows aren't as chaotic as they used to be, but there's just something about the general attitude of a lot of their fans that I don't think I should have to put up with at a Led Zeppelin show. It's not really the moshing that bothers me (I've been to dozens of punk shows, and I'm not talking about Green Day), but it just seems like there's this element of machismo there where everybody thinks they have to prove how hardcore and badass they are one way or another. I just don't think we need that at a Zep show.

I agree with you at times about some of the attitudes Ive seen at Met's shows. Im 43, and female and sometimes I see stuff where I want to shake my head and go grow up already. I never got into any of BS at shows when I was younger; Ive always gone to shows to appreciate the music, the musicians and enjoy-- not be a destructive idiot or bother other people. Going to concerts should be about that...not seeing how drunk/stoned etc you can be and make an ass of yourself. I understand music theory, and dont go to a show just to "be there" which many people do these days. I will feel honored to see Led Zeppelin perform if they chose to tour in the states or at other venues in Europe.

I agree with you at times about some of the attitudes Ive seen at Met's shows. Im 43, and female and sometimes I see stuff where I want to shake my head and go grow up already. I never got into any of BS at shows when I was younger; Ive always gone to shows to appreciate the music, the musicians and enjoy-- not be a destructive idiot or bother other people. Going to concerts should be about that...not seeing how drunk/stoned etc you can be and make an ass of yourself. I understand music theory, and dont go to a show just to "be there" which many people do these days. I will feel honored to see Led Zeppelin perform if they chose to tour in the states or at other venues in Europe.

Thanks - that's exactly what I meant! I don't mean to get down on all Metallica fans or anything; the same thing happens at punk shows, and I guess I just sort of expect it (even if it is really annoying) because of the ultra-high-energy nature of their music. There's just a time and place for everything, you know? For instance, you wouldn't get stoned and hang out on your blanket in the grass at an AC/DC show, and you wouldn't thrash around and try to mosh at a Phish show. Zep and Metallica are both great bands, but they just don't quite seem to go together, energy-wise.

• 4 weeks later...
Page is a fan of Metallica, I agree with that so that's why I see something like this happening.

How can you say that Page is a fan of Metallica? It doesnt necesarily mean that if Page is present on a concert he's already a fan of it besides I think that he could get a VIP pass anytime on any concert he wants...

Yes I'm a huge fan of Metallica and Led Zeppelin. I even have all the shit loads of Metallica CDs from Kill 'Em All to St. Anger and even DVDs but to level them with Led Zeppelin is way too nonsense

Uh...I think personally that Metallica while are the top of their game in thrash metal and other perhaps shall we say genres in that context of music that at times may not be all that thrash are in no way in league with Led Zeppelin unless of course you compare them to sales. In that case I think Metallica are COMPLETELY undeserving of their huge worldwide sales. Celine Dion does pretty well in that category as well. Hell I wouldn't care if she performed with them as long as they get their asses back on tours and in the studios.

I just don't think there is really any musical comparison anyway. It has always seemed to me that it is those who are unintellectual who truelly think Metallica are somehow a new version of Led Zeppelin that they think there is something that Metallica can hold up to Led Zeppelin. I would say Guns N' Roses were closer but even they are not as heavy and thrash as Metallica. Of course I would also say that Guns N' Roses are far more pop oriented than Led Zeppelin as well. I suppose a couple or few shows together would be fine but other than that I don't think Metallica deserve to be on a bill with Led Zeppelin.

Would a Zeppelin and Metallica show work - I sure would love to see it, love both bands.

The main thing is, as said by some people, if you throw another big name in even more people will want to see the show, in some cases for only one of the 2 bands.

Jimmy has said his days of doing 3 hr gigs are over in recent interviews, so I think support groups would be needed, the Stones announce the support acts long after the gig has sold out (well they did with the Bigger Bang tour), this slows down already huge demand so they can put band slike GnR and Metallica on the bill without the internet exploding. An alternative is to give the really talented new bands and artists who could do with the publicity eg. Joe Bonamassa, The Answer the slot.

Metallica, arent entirely compatible though, youd need a bluesy, rocky band that arent that heavy.

I think if they were to use an opening act, they might consider something region specific. For instance here in New Orleans they might use a local band like Cowboy Mouth or Better than Ezra or maybe a local Blues or Jazz band. Other groups have gone this route.

I was fortunate enough to see them in 77 in Baton Rouge with no opening act. In 1980 there was a show planed for the Super Dome that was postponed when Plants son died that was eventually canceled. Get this, it was general admission and 3 days before show day they had already sold 98,500 tickets and counting. By the way the Stones hold the Dome record with 89,586. I had 4 tix which I had to return for a refund. :o I did catch the Page/Plant show in 94 at U.N.O. Lake front arena, closest thing to a Zep concert I could have imagined DAMN! they Rocked the Roof off the place, and that band that played with them from Egypt the guy with the Hurdy-Gurdie that was freakin wild.

This is an awful idea. If i were you, I'd think first...LED ZEPPELIN and Metallica...First of all you need to compare this 2 bands as musical I guess. Well, I agree Metallica WAS a huge, successful band, but they are so insufficient near a legend like Led Zeppelin. That would be so ridiculous. I'd say, "damn, that could be awsome, what an idea" if this topic was something like; Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Ronnie James Dio or maybe Led Zeppelin and Jeff Beck-Eric Clapton...I hope I could tell what i wanted to say..

The only place I'd want to see Metallica at a Zep concert is in the audience.

Now that is a great line........nicely done. Very true too. Metallica hasn't done anything of interest since 'And Justice For All'..........hell maybe not even that.

Regards;

Now that is a great line........nicely done. Very true too. Metallica hasn't done anything of interest since 'And Justice For All'..........hell maybe not even that.

Regards;

WHAT!? "And Justice For All..." was like one of the best and deepest of Metallica's work! Sure, Saint Anger licked balls, but yah. Zeppelin and Metallica wouldn't be a good mix, maybe if Zeppelin went first and then Metallica for the pumped up finish.

Archived