To Hell with touring, make new music

zooma

I'd love to see the Zep go forward with their legacy and make another album of new music instead of touring behind the greatest hits. It would be a true way for keep it fresh and exciting for themselves and us too. A concert lasts a few hours (bootlegs not included) but fresh creativity will last forever.

I'd love to see the Zep go forward with their legacy and make another album of new music instead of touring behind the greatest hits. It would be a true way for keep it fresh and exciting for themselves and us too. A concert lasts a few hours (bootlegs not included) but fresh creativity will last forever.

I'd like to see new music too, but what if it's crap? Not saying it would be but there's always a risk. Look at the Stones and Macca, legendary songwriters who haven't put a decent album out in over 20 years. I don't know what it is about aging artists, but apparently there is a creative "window" they go through and once they lose it they REALLY lose it.

There is no risk involved in touring the classics, and they could always slip in a new song or two without embarrassing themselves with a shitty album.

I agree with this.

Some new material would help tp "Update" things a bit and I would think make the prospect of playing a few more gigs more interesting to the musicians themselves.

It would also give Jason a chance at some more input.

Bring it on!!!

I'd definitely love to see a new album, but seeing them live would be an event i could tell my children and grandchildren about. Everyone can hear the album, but not everyone gets the chance to see Led Zeppelin live in concert. :P

I'd like to see new music too, but what if it's crap? Not saying it would be but there's always a risk. Look at the Stones and Macca, legendary songwriters who haven't put a decent album out in over 20 years. I don't know what it is about aging artists, but apparently there is a creative "window" they go through and once they lose it they REALLY lose it.

There is no risk involved in touring the classics, and they could always slip in a new song or two without embarrassing themselves with a shitty album.

Don't be silly

It couldn't possibly be crap.

I would have to disagree about certain artists not having put a decent album out in 20 yrs.

You can't live in the past forever.

Many of these old artists are better now than they ever were.

And so they should be.

Don't be silly

It couldn't possibly be crap.

I would have to disagree about certain artists not having put a decent album out in 20 yrs.

You can't live in the past forever.

Many of these old artists are better now than they ever were.

And so they should be.

Really? Walking Into Clarksdale was up to Zeppelin standards? I think not, in fact if it said Led Zeppelin on the cover it would be an embarrassment. Robert has had some solo success but he has laid a few eggs as well. Don't be so sure that new material "couldn't possibly" suck, the name alone guarantees triple platinum sales, but the content would likely be sub par.

Macca, Jagger/Richards, Waters, Townshend, Springsteen, Dylan, etc.... All legendary songwriters, and none of them have put out anything that measures up in nearly 20 years. Clearly the creative well has run dry for most of these guys.

I would love to see LZ come up with new music, but when you've already set the bar so high it's nearly impossible to maintain that standard. They probably have a few good tunes left in them, but I'm not sure there are enough to fill an album.

Of course this is just my opinion... ;)

EDIT: For the record, I hope I'm wrong.

Really? Walking Into Clarksdale was up to Zeppelin standards? I think not, in fact if it said Led Zeppelin on the cover it would be an embarrassment. Robert has had some solo success but he has laid a few eggs as well. Don't be so sure that new material "couldn't possibly" suck, the name alone guarantees triple platinum sales, but the content would likely be sub par.

Macca, Jagger/Richards, Waters, Townshend, Springsteen, Dylan, etc.... All legendary songwriters, and none of them have put out anything that measures up in nearly 20 years. Clearly the creative well has run dry for most of these guys.

I would love to see LZ come up with new music, but when you've already set the bar so high it's nearly impossible to maintain that standard. They probably have a few good tunes left in them, but I'm not sure there are enough to fill an album.

Of course this is just my opinion... ;)

EDIT: For the record, I hope I'm wrong.

Walking into Clarksdale was not a Zeppelin release and was a excellent album. It had a different vibe and was greatly appericiated by many. JPJ, who is one of the most underated musicians of our time did not contribute. If the three of them and Jason Bonham collaborated on new music I have no doubt it would be every bit as great as anything they have ever done. They have a chemeistry between them that is extraordinary and would create something mindboggling if they decided to do it. Have no doubt about that.

Forgive me, but I'm a little baffled by all the calls for "new material".

How much new material did they play the other night?

NONE.

How many people attended the show to hear new material?

NONE.

So, by contrast, how much new material will it require for me to go see them on tour?

NONE!!!!

Any new material released by these guys would be a BONUS, certainly not a pre-requisite for a long awaited tour.

Just my two cents.

mos6967 - that is NOT the band Led Zeppelin.

That is just a presentation of their music. It's already been playing around the country, well before the band's reunion show.

Sorry to disappoint 'ya. I gotta admit - I got all juiced for a second there, too!

Patience and prayers. That's what it's gonna take to get 'em here for real.......

Jimmy Page has already said that over the last few years he has come up with material as strong as anything else he has EVER done...and that he does NOT want to use if for a solo release.

actually he said that it didn't necessarily have to be for his solo career. ;)

But CRAP!? Maybe one of them alone puts something out comparable to crap. And that's a big maybe!

But Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and a guy named Bonham DO NOT put out crap.

They put out something called "the 5th element" which does and will rock your ass off.

At this point I think it's impossible for any of them to taint their legacy, and things can only get better. You can see how much they care because of the aforementioned time they put into the O2 gig.

The reason why it's impossible is because every single one of them understands that it takes 4 people committing to do the work to make quality music.

If all of Led Zeppelin is on board, it means that they will "go for it", as they always have in the past. When 4 talented musicians "go for it", it's got to be near impossible to come up with crap.

They put out something called "the 5th element" which does and will rock your ass off.

So they're the ones responsible for that Age of Aquarius stuff! :D Ahem, sorry, never mind...

I don't know, I'd much rather have them tour if it was a choice between the two. I'm far from wearing out their classic stuff, so I don't mind either way about an album. If they want to, go for it. If they don't, I wouldn't mind at all if I just got to see them live.

There is no question until the end of their lives that a great deal of bald headed men, ignorant, and closed minded individuals ONLY want to hear "Whole Lotta Love" and whatever basic songs because they do not have the mental compacity to accept and enjoy new songs. These people are irrelevant and EXACTLY why Plant stayed away from Zeppelin so long. It was great and fine for them to do a show or tour without new material but there is no logical reason for them not too. I think the show the other night was fine the way it was but again the idea that people are so prejudicial against new material is pathetic beyond words. STAY HOME THEN!

actually he said that it didn't necessarily have to be for his solo career. ;)

But CRAP!? Maybe one of them alone puts something out comparable to crap. And that's a big maybe!

But Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and a guy named Bonham DO NOT put out crap.

At this point I think it's impossible for any of them to taint their legacy, and things can only get better. You can see how much they care because of the aforementioned time they put into the O2 gig.

The reason why it's impossible is because every single one of them understands that it takes 4 people committing to do the work to make quality music.

If all of Led Zeppelin is on board, it means that they will "go for it", as they always have in the past. When 4 talented musicians "go for it", it's got to be near impossible to come up with crap.

Not only are the four of them extremley talented musicians, the three original members are the most talented songwriters, producers of the rocknroll era.

There is no question until the end of their lives that a great deal of bald headed men, ignorant, and closed minded individuals ONLY want to hear "Whole Lotta Love" and whatever basic songs because they do not have the mental compacity to accept and enjoy new songs. These people are irrelevant and EXACTLY why Plant stayed away from Zeppelin so long. It was great and fine for them to do a show or tour without new material but there is no logical reason for them not too. I think the show the other night was fine the way it was but again the idea that people are so prejudicial against new material is pathetic beyond words. STAY HOME THEN!

I think you are right about why Plant has been reluctant to reform the band. It's a reflection of our society that so many people are afraid of change and moving forward. IMHO that is why Plant walked away after Clarksdale came out, too many "fans" just want a rehash of the past. Is it any wonder rock music, and album sales are in the state they are in now?

I'm all for new material and not a rehash of Zeppelin either. They're older and at an entirely different place in their lives and think a new album would reflect that. I truly believe that they possess great magic and whatever they create will be fantastic.

I'm all for new material and not a rehash of Zeppelin either. They're older and at an entirely different place in their lives and think a new album would reflect that. I truly believe that they possess great magic and whatever they create will be fantastic.

Yes, new music. What the Stones do is shameful. On their new cds, they are too lazy to write a song, they all sound like tired jams. Then they tour with incredible set props to divert attention from how boring they are - yes, in my opinion. They tour behind songs from many years ago, nothing current, I don't want this Jsaon Bonham version of Zeppelin to get stuck in that.

I was stumble through the net and came upon a site selling tickets for Dec.15 and one more date in Dec. and two for Jan. for USA. http://www.ticketnetwork.com/tickets/led-z...in-tickets.aspx

I don't know what to make of it! :o

So, let's suppose that this is true and there are U.S. tour dates... are the cities listed by name?

What cities? I could possibly allow myself to be excited about that. B)

I don't want to be disappointed. I did my best to maintain during the concert the other day.

Archived