32 Years Ago Today

Jahfin

I had tickets for the ball game the next day but the game was forfeited because of the condition of the field.

We hated disco too! That was the beginning of a lost decade for rock and roll.

I had tickets for the ball game the next day but the game was forfeited because of the condition of the field.

We hated disco too!

Though I didn't care for disco then (and don't care for it now), it all seems pretty silly in retrospect. It was also meant to be taken that way which is very easily seen just by looking at the footage. It's clear that it was never meant to get out of hand in the manner that it did.

That was the beginning of a lost decade for rock and roll.

Can't say I agree with that sentiment, especially with bands like U2, R.E.M., Bob Marley and the Wailers, X, the Replacements, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, Steve Earle, and tons of others all emerging in the 1980s. Some people look back at the 80s and all they remember is what was on MTV and the popular songs from that channel receiving airplay on radio but when I look back, I remember a fondness for one of the finest decades of music I've ever had the pleasure of living through.

Though I didn't care for disco then (and don't care for it now), it all seems pretty silly in retrospect. It was also meant to be taken that way which is very easily seen just by looking at the footage. It's clear that it was never meant to get out of hand in the manner that it did.

Can't say I agree with that sentiment, especially with bands like U2, R.E.M., Bob Marley and the Wailers, X, the Replacements, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, Steve Earle, and tons of others all emerging in the 1980s. Some people look back at the 80s and all they remember is what was on MTV and the popular songs from that channel receiving airplay on radio but when I look back, I remember a fondness for one of the finest decades of music I've ever had the pleasure of living through.

Yeah, I don't really like most of those acts! I also remember the airwaves being blanketed with the King of Pop and bad "New Wave".

Now the 90's were something else...

Yeah, I don't really like most of those acts! I also remember the airwaves being blanketed with the King of Pop and bad "New Wave".

It's just a matter of taste. I actually like quite a bit of what was considered "New Wave" but was never into a lot of the bands that were popular on MTV back then that were more about fashion and synths than actual music. Funny how some people say they have this nostalgia for when MTV was "good" yet they are some of the very same people that slam MTV for killing "the radio stars".

Now the 90's were something else...

I like the 90s too but it was also when I got fed up with "Classic Rock" radio and found myself going off the radar due to how stagnant radio had become.

Here in the Chicago area, the only radio station that played post 1990 rock is being converted to an all news format. We will be left with one rock/pop station (nothing loud) and two "Classic Rock" stations. I often wonder how they select the artists they play. One station plays mostly 60's and early 70's stuff including the Beatles. The other plays 60's (no Beatles), 70's stadium rock and hair metal. Of course they both constantly play the same Stones, Doors, Hendrix songs over and over Lately they have also dug up Bob Seger, Yes, Styx. But no one plays punk!!!

If you or anyone else knows of any good internet stations that play metal, punk and grunge, let me know and I will buy some good speakers for my laptop.

When I listen to radio online these days it's mostly local stations and KEXP out of Seattle. KEXP is all over the map genre wise so you might want to sample them, at least for your punk rock fix. I know they did a nice piece on the history of punk rock on there a couple of Saturdays ago.

My parents were at Disco Demolition night. Not because they were White Sox fans (we're from the North Side), but because they were fans of Steve Dahl and WLUP. My dad even ran onto the field, though my mom chose to stay in her seat.

Ah, the crazy shit they did and got away with when they didn't have kids yet. LOL

Sounds like the old Looney Tunes cartoon where the guy had the 'Singing Frog' and he couldn't get any customers into the theater until he posted a 'Free Beer' sign and then the place got mobbed. :D

Archived