JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I am so curious about what Jimmy had to say about their performance as I love this band so much. I can't read the fine print....does he talk about his experience there and what he thought of the band? Did Clapton play with them that night? Thanks.

I love this photo and I love the way that he seems to be glowing with pride at the photographer, his daughter Scarlet. It's always a treat when Jimmy mentions his family.

I think it is very special treat when he mentions his family. I too love it. :D I am so happy the photographer was Scarlet.

2 May'12

http://JPMor75JPTD.jpg

http://JP75Mor2JPTD.jpg

http://JP75Mor3JPTD.jpg

Back to where I left off and what a momentous OTD. PlanetPage and Aen, thank you for archiving so many of Jimmy's OTDs - without you, I would have missed all this. This particular entry about Jimmy's trip to Morocco is fantastic as my husband and I made our first and best trip to Morocco not long after Jimmy and Robert visited. We were there in that moment when it still held its 60's and 70's vibe, in those last hours when hitchking was safe and the country was still populated by interesting artists and characters, and a few decades before the Djemaa and Essouraira began to heave with tourists and touts. I'm thankful to Jimmy for sharing little slices of his travels (along with his passport stamps) - it's given me a unique glimpse into his life as a traveler and encouraged me (not just to keep traveling) but to pull out my old passport pages and scan them to keep beside my vignettes and photos.

Back to where I left off and what a momentous OTD. PlanetPage and Aen, thank you for archiving so many of Jimmy's OTDs - without you, I would have missed all this. This particular entry about Jimmy's trip to Morocco is fantastic as my husband and I made our first and best trip to Morocco not long after Jimmy and Robert visited. We were there in that moment when it still held its 60's and 70's vibe, in those last hours when hitchking was safe and the country was still populated by interesting artists and characters, and a few decades before the Djemaa and Essouraira began to heave with tourists and touts. I'm thankful to Jimmy for sharing little slices of his travels (along with his passport stamps) - it's given me a unique glimpse into his life as a traveler and encouraged me (not just to keep traveling) but to pull out my old passport pages and scan them to keep beside my vignettes and photos.

This one is also one of my favorite and his picture for the background is beautiful. I am wondering if he photographed this himself. His and Robert's trip was at a very interesting time, not long before Robert's famous accident and the height of their tax exhile period. You're very welcome, MSG. I read recently that Jimmy said later that he wanted to go Morocco after being recommended to visit by William Burroughs (of course in Jimmy's outfit and pictures we love. :D)

I am hoping that once Jimmy's Zeppelin obligations are over, he will return to checking in his site himself. I still check and always hope he'll update it with many more of his fasincating memories. :D

I am so curious about what Jimmy had to say about their performance as I love this band so much. I can't read the fine print....does he talk about his experience there and what he thought of the band? Did Clapton play with them that night? Thanks.

Hi MSG; you very welcome, I am glad some of these entries are still ok, not deleted by photobucket...

Bigger version of the text here...

ON THIS DAY… 18 JUN 1965

I SAW JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS IN LONDON, UK

On this day in 1965, I went to see John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers at the Pontiac Club in Putney, London. It showcased Eric Clapton’s magnificent mastery of the blues guitar. Eric came to stay at my home in Epsom that night as I had told him about the recordings and guitar sound I was getting from my
We played together
and tracks surfaced on the ‘Blues Anytime’ series on Immediate Records. I went on to produce ‘I’m Your Witchdoctor’ and ‘Telephone Blues’ with Mayall and Clapton, as well as ‘Sitting on Top of the World’ and ‘Double Crossing Time’.

AUDIO: Miles Road - Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page

This one is also one of my favorite and his picture for the background is beautiful. I am wondering if he photographed this himself. His and Robert's trip was at a very interesting time, not long before Robert's famous accident and the height of their tax exhile period. You're very welcome, MSG. I read recently that Jimmy said later that he wanted to go Morocco after being recommended to visit by William Burroughs (of course in Jimmy's outfit and pictures we love. :D)

I am hoping that once Jimmy's Zeppelin obligations are over, he will return to checking in his site himself. I still check and always hope he'll update it with many more of his fasincating memories. :D

AEN, I am not sure, I think I have forgotten perhaps, when did Robert and Jimmy first visited Morrocco, I know this has been discussed...however, Robert recently recalled Morrocco Trip, his post-Zep musical influences thereof...he recalled it to be 1972 with a tape recorded in hand, Jimmy and him recorded local music...that was in Bombay 1972, they do also have tape recorded in hand in Morrocco as well...I cannot understand or remember the exact first time they visited Morrocco...

AEN, I am not sure, I think I have forgotten perhaps, when did Robert and Jimmy first visited Morrocco, I know this has been discussed...however, Robert recently recalled Morrocco Trip, his post-Zep musical influences thereof...he recalled it to be 1972 with a tape recorded in hand, Jimmy and him recorded local music...that was in Bombay 1972, they do also have tape recorded in hand in Morrocco as well...I cannot understand or remember the exact first time they visited Morrocco...

According to Jimmy in the OTD it was right after the last Earl's Court show which was May 25th. He said somewhere that he admitted to William Burroughs that time he had never been to Morocco before.

According to Jimmy in the OTD it was right after the last Earl's Court show which was May 25th. He said somewhere that he admitted to William Burroughs that time he had never been to Morocco before.

AEN, thanks for jogging my memory about this, you are most up to date on this...Jimmy visited in 1975 with Robert. Robert I think already visited Morrocco in 73 I believe by himself? anyway, this lyrical part does not jive with me, I will look into this on my own for self clarification..

thanks

AEN, thanks for jogging my memory about this, you are most up to date on this...Jimmy visited in 1975 with Robert. Robert I think already visited Morrocco in 73 I believe by himself? anyway, this lyrical part does not jive with me, I will look into this on my own for self clarification..

thanks

I used to think that Jimmy's first trip to Morocco was in 1975 and that Burroughs convinced him to go during the interview/conversation in Burroughs's downtown loft, when he told Jimmy about Jajouka music. But then, in a more recent interview, Robert said he took Jimmy with him to Morocco in 1972 and showed him the Atlas Mountains...perhaps he meant 1975?

Hi MSG; you very welcome, I am glad some of these entries are still ok, not deleted by photobucket...

Bigger version of the text here...

ON THIS DAY… 18 JUN 1965

I SAW JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS IN LONDON, UK

On this day in 1965, I went to see John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers at the Pontiac Club in Putney, London. It showcased Eric Clapton’s magnificent mastery of the blues guitar. Eric came to stay at my home in Epsom that night as I had told him about the recordings and guitar sound I was getting from my
We played together
and tracks surfaced on the ‘Blues Anytime’ series on Immediate Records. I went on to produce ‘I’m Your Witchdoctor’ and ‘Telephone Blues’ with Mayall and Clapton, as well as ‘Sitting on Top of the World’ and ‘Double Crossing Time’.

AUDIO: Miles Road - Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page

Thanks so much for writing this out, PlanetPage. I really appreciate it and I will save this wonderful story along with the photos. I like how Jimmy mentions Eric Clapton's "magnificent mastery of the blues guitar." John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton is a fantastic album - I've been listening to it for at least half my life and it's still one of my favorites.

I used to think that Jimmy's first trip to Morocco was in 1975 and that Burroughs convinced him to go during the interview/conversation in Burroughs's downtown loft, when he told Jimmy about Jajouka music. But then, in a more recent interview, Robert said he took Jimmy with him to Morocco in 1972 and showed him the Atlas Mountains...perhaps he meant 1975?

I realised it was in one of the articales I scanned for the cuttings thread that he said it was after talking with William Burroughs that he decided it go. He knew about Brian Jones's album (which I have and love. :D) I understood to be that too. I think Robert may have meant '75.

I realised it was in one of the articales I scanned for the cuttings thread that he said it was after talking with William Burroughs that he decided it go. He knew about Brian Jones's album (which I have and love. :D) I understood to be that too. I think Robert may have meant '75.

You're right - I remember the mention of Brian's album now...and Jimmy mentioned it, I think, on one of his OTD posts. I love the album too.

Thanks AEN and MSG - after following Robert Plant's extensive interviews in recent years, he tend to engage in conversations from "top of his head" so to speak, it is not easy to remember dates, but events do come to his mind, from one time to another...Robert also recalled meeting Elvis in '69 (because he saw The King in Concert, but that night did not meet him), not until the mid 70's..I believe 74; I cannot speak for Legendary Robert Plant ofcouse for his reasoning, it is my observation...otherwise his interviews are very enjoyable...we cannot take his dates too seriously, but his lovely recollections and warm memories of various times are truly amazing....

As for Writing of Kashmir on Robert's Part, this event is not clear to me as to how the lyrics came about to be, but I do have Jimmy's interview, perhaps I will scan it one day time permitting from GuitarWorld 2005...he already had the chords in progress long long before , the writers from India have acknowledged this in Press when they first played in Bombay in 1972 (Journalist Khalid Mohammed from Hindustan Times was present at Slip Disc that night and he wrote an article during Zeppelin Reunion in 2007, (This is where he heard the Raw Cut of Kashmir first in this club) I did post this article in this Forum a while ago...something some sort of music was in progress, which later came out to be full fledged Kashmir...it is not possible to establish the audio for this, as the Tape Recorded from that night is lost permanently beyond recovery as it appears...but it does remain on the Radar for any miracle as of now....

As for writing of Kashmir on Robert's Part, this event is not clear to me as to how the lyrics came about to be

According to my notes in June 1973 Jimmy & Robert attended the National Festival of Folkore in Morocco and soonafter Robert wrote the lyrics to Kashmir in (or near) the Atlas Mountains while driving from Goulimine to Tantan. As Plant explained to rock journalist Cameron Crowe:

"The whole inspiration came from the fact that the road went on and on and on. It was a single-track road which neatly cut through the desert. Two miles to the East and West were ridges of sandrock. It basically looked like you were driving down a channel, this dilapidated road, and there was seemingly no end to it. 'Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dreams...' It's one of my favourites...that, 'All My Love' and 'In The Light' and two or three others really were the finest moments. But 'Kashmir' in particular. It was so positive, lyrically."

Robert also commented on the challenges he faced in writing lyrics for such a complex piece of music:

"It was an amazing piece of music to write to, and an incredible challenge for me ... Because of the time signature, the whole deal of the song is… not grandiose, but powerful: it required some kind of epithet, or abstract lyrical setting about the whole idea of life being an adventure and being a series of illuminated moments. But everything is not what you see. It was quite a task, ’cause I couldn’t sing it. It was like the song was bigger than me. It’s true: I was petrified, it’s true. It was painful; I was virtually in tears."

Also, during a 1988 MTV interview Robert comments he wrote Heaven Knows (paraphrasing) ..."near the Atlas Mountains, not far from where I wrote the lyrics to Kashmir...".

According to my notes in June 1973 Jimmy & Robert attended the National Festival of Folkore in Morocco and soonafter Robert wrote the lyrics to Kashmir in (or near) the Atlas Mountains while driving from Goulimine to Tantan. As Plant explained to rock journalist Cameron Crowe:

"The whole inspiration came from the fact that the road went on and on and on. It was a single-track road which neatly cut through the desert. Two miles to the East and West were ridges of sandrock. It basically looked like you were driving down a channel, this dilapidated road, and there was seemingly no end to it. 'Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dreams...' It's one of my favourites...that, 'All My Love' and 'In The Light' and two or three others really were the finest moments. But 'Kashmir' in particular. It was so positive, lyrically."

Robert also commented on the challenges he faced in writing lyrics for such a complex piece of music:

"It was an amazing piece of music to write to, and an incredible challenge for me ... Because of the time signature, the whole deal of the song is… not grandiose, but powerful: it required some kind of epithet, or abstract lyrical setting about the whole idea of life being an adventure and being a series of illuminated moments. But everything is not what you see. It was quite a task, ’cause I couldn’t sing it. It was like the song was bigger than me. It’s true: I was petrified, it’s true. It was painful; I was virtually in tears."

Also, during a 1988 MTV interview Robert comments he wrote Heaven Knows (paraphrasing) ..."near the Atlas Mountains, not far from where I wrote the lyrics to Kashmir...".

..Thanks SAJ, I have seen your records in this regard many times before in your mystery section, so thanks again for your time here as well...Jimmy now has provided his evidence, he tells the same to William B, Jimmy mentioning regretfully to William Burrough that sadly he has only been to places like India before, but only now he thought to visit Morroco..had he been to Morrocco before ever, he would not have a regret and shared his tales passionately, as he loves loves Morrocco...he would have provided same all visits to Morrocco in his autobio..he was not in Morrocco before Earl's Court 1975...as he provides the evidence himself...

Robert Plant/Page after sometime visiting Bombay, once that love affair cooled off with India (and remained so well off into modern era), became passionated for Morrocco...Robert's imagination/love for Morrocco was implied in his creation for his mythical Kashmir, to this tale, later applied some actual facts from their visit in 1975...this is what has happened, as both of them never been to Morrocco Before.. the interviewss are far too much into the modern era, any statement can be given, it does not make a difference to the original timeline, cannot...I have seen just about all of these...to date, this remains one of the most culturally imbalanced statement from Robert Plant, however, I shall take that Morrocco has only added to the Beauty of Kashmir, not that it is culturally far off from Kashmir...

I will let Emperor Shah Jahan of Hindustan, himself, roaming around his Gardens in Kashmir, compliment Robert's Expecations of Kashmir...

Kashmir, If there is heaven, than this is it, this is it...... Emperor S. Jahan

as you note also, Robert Plant just last month gave an interview stating that Jimmy and Robert had a tape recorder in Morrocco in 1972...well, we know where they were in 1972...but in 1996 when they visited Chanel V awards returning to Bombay, Robert also gave same interview to Times of India (I posted this article in the Bombay Thread, that they were sitting outside a brothel with a tape recorded in 1971, recording local music)...he further stated same Elvis story, meeting him 1969!! and that rather unfortunate comment about the Legendary John Paul Jones, all in Times of India...

I think we should not take his statements too seriously, rather enjoy his cultural experiences with grain of salt....

there is only one Led Zeppelin, no other...

Robert's imagination/love for Morrocco was implied in his creation for his mythical Kashmir, to this tale, later applied some actual facts from their visit in 1975...this is what has happened, as both of them never been to Morrocco before

Though the evidence suggets Jimmy did not visit Morocco prior to 1975, it remains quite likely Robert did. However, I agree that Robert can be very inconsistent with regards to the dates he applies to his travels.

“I went to Morocco in 1971 and heard the music there and it was like somebody hit me over the head with a huge hammer.”

--Robert Plant interviewed by Nigel Williamson, Songlines Magazine, Nov/Dec 2006 issue

New Musical Express, Nov 14th 1976: ...Page joins Plant in Marrakesh three weeks after the last Earls Court date...they attend several nights of the Moroccan Festival of Folklore ...Page and Plant attempt to drive to Tafia from Marrakesh but are turned back by Spanish border patrols...return drive northbound from Spain through Casablanca to Tangier and back to Marrakesh...

Archived