JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Background image:

1_070968.jpg

I guess this was a poster for it?

This was the cover for the Gladsaxe Teen Club program (not poster).

By the way, the band was known as "The Yardbirds," NOT the "New Yardbirds."

The gig contract says "The Yardbirds"

The newspaper ad says "Yardbirds"

The September 1968 Gladsaxe Teen Club Program says "Yardbirds"

A review of the gig in the October 1968 Gladsaxe Teen Club Program says "The Yardbirds"

They were always billed as "The Yardbirds," not the "New Yardbirds." In fact, the only time I've ever seen them billed as the "New Yardbirds" for a concert was (ironically enough) the poster for Led Zeppelin's very first gig at the University of Surrey on October 25, 1968.

I think we need to turn the mistakes into a drinking game. When a mistake has been made regarding a date, take a shot of whiskey. When a mistake happens regarding a name, drink a beer. When a mistake is made regarding anything else, take a shot of vodka. Whatever rules suits your fancy, go right ahead. It will make going to his site exciting since you will never know what drinks he has in store for you on any given day. ck.gif

I submitted corrections for missing Houston dates and some have not been implemented. In fact, at one point, Houston was listed as The United Kingdom. (Shot of vodka!) smack.gif

Now THIS is using the old bean! :Thinking: Something that seems lacking among Jimmy's tech support.

Badgeholder,

I thought the same thing, but then I had to ask myself is it a photo of a reflection of a photo, or is it a reflection of THE DUKE recording... ???

Looks like photographs of the Duke on the studio walls, as reflected off the glass surrounding Jimmy.

This was the cover for the Gladsaxe Teen Club program (not poster).

A review of the gig in the October 1968 Gladsaxe Teen Club Program says "The Yardbirds"

They were always billed as "The Yardbirds," not the "New Yardbirds." In fact, the only time I've ever seen them billed as the "New Yardbirds" for a concert was (ironically enough) the poster for Led Zeppelin's very first gig at the University of Surrey on October 25, 1968.

it's great that we got Jorgen Angel's photo's as a reminder of this important point of zep's career. i would kill for a recording of this date, the youthful raw enthusiasm you can here on the first bootlegs available in an even rawer form....must have been awesome.

There is another advertisement that says "New Yardbirds". I think it was one of the Marquee flyers.

Also, notice that Jimmy says "the band was known as 'The New Yardbirds'." He's probably right about that, from a certain point of view. For example, the band probably thought of themselves as 'The New Yardbirds'. And I'm sure some of the fans knew them as 'The New Yardbirds'. But we'll never have a definitive answer on that mystery unless a 1968 recording surfaces with Robert Plant saying "I'd like to introduce.....The New Yardbirds to you..."

Here's a plantation from the second last Earls Court concert:

"[...] and nobody believed that The New Yardbirds, nothing's changed... Nobody would believe it, and John Paul Jones had just finished a tour with Greta Garbo. And Jimmy Page is coming out of the closet. I never said that! So we really having a good time back in good old England. We got to fly soon. You know how it goes with Dennis. Dear Dennis, private enterprise, no artists in the country any more. He must be Dazed and Confused."

There is another advertisement that says "New Yardbirds". I think it was one of the Marquee flyers.

Also, notice that Jimmy says "the band was known as 'The New Yardbirds'." He's probably right about that, from a certain point of view. For example, the band probably thought of themselves as 'The New Yardbirds'. And I'm sure some of the fans knew them as 'The New Yardbirds'. But we'll never have a definitive answer on that mystery unless a 1968 recording surfaces with Robert Plant saying "I'd like to introduce.....The New Yardbirds to you..."

The Marquee flyer from October 1968 does mention "New Yardbirds" in the description, but under the concert listing it has "The Yardbirds" (as does the Marquee contract and Marquee Melody Maker ad). That's the only reference besides the Oct. 25, 1968 poster (which may or may not be bogus) that I've seen the band billed in a concert ad as the "New Yardbirds" as opposed to "The Yardbirds."

Keep in mind that Peter Grant, Jimmy, Robert, and others through the years have stated numerous times that the band were billed as the "New Yardbirds" when they started out. Whether they were "known" as the "New Yardbirds" is one thing, but they were almost exclusively billed as "The Yardbirds" or "Yard Birds" or "The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page" or "Yardbirds now known as Led Zeppelin." Just take a look at all the concert ads from September 7th through October 19, 1968.

Archived