JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Ooh he was churlish in that interview, before the personality transplant. He's now Gentleman Jim :) Just kidding - he had reason to be wary and even hostile toward the press.

P.S. I love the spooky track playing today "The Window." Doomy vibes, baby.

Do you think that attitude change has to do with his substance abuse, like if it was cause he was still into it or trying to get clean? Or has he just matured since then?

Not bashing Jimmy, just curious.

Do you think that attitude change has to do with his substance abuse, like if it was cause he was still into it or trying to get clean? Or has he just matured since then?

Not bashing Jimmy, just curious.

Certainly he has matured but in the 80's, he also was having to come to terms with dealing with the press during the Firm years. He hated doing interviews but he was much more insulated during the Zep days so they were few and far between. He had to do them during the Firm since he was one of the two selling points of the band, Paul Rodgers being the other. Zep sold itself but Jimmy had to allow himself to be more accessable to the public in order to get the Firm a brighter spotlight.

Certainly he has matured but in the 80's, he also was having to come to terms with dealing with the press during the Firm years. He hated doing interviews but he was much more insulated during the Zep days so they were few and far between. He had to do them during the Firm since he was one of the two selling points of the band, Paul Rodgers being the other. Zep sold itself but Jimmy had to allow himself to be more accessable to the public in order to get the Firm a brighter spotlight.

See?!? It's not that difficult to spell Paul Rodgers correctly. Jimmy should fire the ESL bumpkins he has working for him and hire you, Miss Melanie.

9/22/11

92211.jpg

On this day… 22 Sep 1965

John Mayall released Witch Doctor / Telephone Blues

Today sees the release of the single 'I'm Your Witch Doctor' and 'Telephone Blues' on Immediate Records, where I was a producer. It was recorded at Pye Studios with jazzer Hughie Flint on drums, John McVie on bass, John Mayall on keyboards and vocals and Eric Clapton on guitar. It was recorded in June of 1965. When 'Witch Doctor' came to be overdubbed, Eric had this idea to put this feedback wail over the top. I was with him in the studio as he set this up, then I got back into the control room and told the engineer to record the overdub. About two thirds of the way through, he pulled the faders down and said: "This guitarist is impossible to record". I guess his technical ethics were compromised by the signal that was putting the meters into the red. I suggested that he got on with his job and leave that decision to me! Eric's solo on 'Telephone Blues' was just superb. I would like to have seen Ainsley Dunbar on drums in the studio for 'Witch Doctor'. I also produced 'Sitting On Top of the World', showing John Mayall's blues to Top 20 ambitions, and 'Double Crossing Time', an ironic title as the next time I heard of them they were in the very capable hands of Mike Vernon - famed blues producer. It was a good move: Eric left The Yardbirds because they had Top 20 aspirations!

9/22/11

On this day… 22 Sep 1965

John Mayall released Witch Doctor / Telephone Blues

Today sees the release of the single 'I'm Your Witch Doctor' and 'Telephone Blues' on Immediate Records, where I was a producer. It was recorded at Pye Studios with jazzer Hughie Flint on drums, John McVie on bass, John Mayall on keyboards and vocals and Eric Clapton on guitar. It was recorded in June of 1965. When 'Witch Doctor' came to be overdubbed, Eric had this idea to put this feedback wail over the top. I was with him in the studio as he set this up, then I got back into the control room and told the engineer to record the overdub. About two thirds of the way through, he pulled the faders down and said: "This guitarist is impossible to record". I guess his technical ethics were compromised by the signal that was putting the meters into the red. I suggested that he got on with his job and leave that decision to me! Eric's solo on 'Telephone Blues' was just superb. I would like to have seen Ainsley Dunbar on drums in the studio for 'Witch Doctor'. I also produced 'Sitting On Top of the World', showing John Mayall's blues to Top 20 ambitions, and 'Double Crossing Time', an ironic title as the next time I heard of them they were in the very capable hands of Mike Vernon - famed blues producer. It was a good move: Eric left The Yardbirds because they had Top 20 aspirations!

I was waiting for this one, aen! Thanks so much for capturing it. Are you able to save that photo of Eric? :)

I love what Jimmy writes here about the recording of this single...and especially what he has to say about Eric's playing and performance on it. It's always fascinating for me to read about Jimmy's experiences as a producer and the musical decisions he made.

I love the Mayall-Clapton collaboration...a long time ago my husband introduced me to the album "Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" and it remains a favorite to this day.

I was waiting for this one, aen! Thanks so much for capturing it. Are you able to save that photo of Eric? :)

I love what Jimmy writes here about the recording of this single...and especially what he has to say about Eric's playing and performance on it. It's always fascinating for me to read about Jimmy's experiences as a producer and the musical decisions he made.

I love the Mayall-Clapton collaboration...a long time ago my husband introduced me to the album "Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" and it remains a favorite to this day.

92211eric.jpg

92211johnmayll.jpg

Those are the pictures he posted. I love this one too. I can hear him as he told that story about his desicion how to record this in the '77 interview. I can hear him say 'Turn up the faders and do what I say." in that soft voice of his. :D

This photo is of the Lady Birds. They were the support act for both "Yardbirds" gigs on September 8, 1968 (at Reventlow Parken in Horslunde, Lolland, Denmark and the Fjordvilla in Roskilde, Denmark).

That probably wouldn't work here in America.....

But if the ladies had covered themselves in blood, and fake baby body parts.... then all would be OK.

Because after all, there's nothing more obscene than the naked natural body ! ! !

92211eric.jpg

92211johnmayll.jpg

Those are the pictures he posted. I love this one too. I can hear him as he told that story about his desicion how to record this in the '77 interview. I can hear him say 'Turn up the faders and do what I say." in that soft voice of his. :D

Thanks so much! I could see the photos but I wasn't able to copy them from here. Jimmy's OTDs are filled with great little stories like this one. I can imagine him saying it too at that session: So soft-voiced, so young, so brilliant....

Thanks so much! I could see the photos but I wasn't able to copy them from here. Jimmy's OTDs are filled with great little stories like this one. I can imagine him saying it too at that session: So soft-voiced, so young, so brilliant....

:wub: On the CD it's even as he's retelling it. All the OTDs are adorable they way he retells them.

I don't get it, what does the video footage have to do with Zep, it's just a bunch of footage from Japan around the 70's I guess, at first I thought this was new footage...

anyone have the link to youtube?

Look at the text under the title "Watch Video". He explains that he, Jimmy Page, shot the video "were my early impressions on a newly aquired Super 8 cine-camera."

Archived