JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

......interesting mystery surrounding this rare single...mystery artist "Paul" is perhaps Jimmy Page himself?.....

PAUL Will You Follow Me ? (Extremely rare 1966 UK white title Polydor 'A' label promotional vinyl 7" with intact original three prong centre featuring the jaunty, poppy A Side & also featuring Head Death, an acoustic vocal number in the folky style of the day. A great deal of mystery surrounds this release. We all know of 'She Just Satisfies' as a Jimmy Page solo release, but this release has both the A & B sides credited to [Paul] Bedford, with both tracks published by James Page Music, produced & arranged by Jimmy Page. Rumour has it that 'Paul' is none other than Jimmy Page issuing a second solo single working under a pseudonym. Whatever the truth is, what is certain is that Jimmy Page is the guitarist on both tracks & that this copy is in amazing near 'as new' condition as it has been recovered from the archive collection of an eminent music reviewer where it has remained untouched for over thirty years! BM56045).

http://eil.com/shop/...atalogid=455906

A search in ASCAP and BMI databases yields no info on Bedford or "Head death".

It's funny how he lost touch of this guy as soon as started playing with the Yardbirds. That would need to happen if he intended to have a public life with the Yardbirds. The other one would have to disappear.

Possibly Page on vocals to? I know he did vocals on She just Satisfies. Interesting to say the least.

Several times I've read people say that Page actually can sing, and should, but wont because he just flat out believes he cant.

I came across a song on youtube some years back that claimed the song to be a totally unknown track from the lost/stolen Outrider sessions. Whats odd is the uploader stated it was none other than Page himself on vocals. I dont know if its real or not, its possible it could have been a fake. but it was simillar to his vocals in SJS.

I'll be darned if I've ever been able to locate the thing since! :angry:

I honestly have never understood how on earth the voice in She Just Satisfies sounds like him at all

Just listen to singers who have careers spanning 40 or 50 years and you'll understand. Not only the voice changes over the years but the recording techniques, the cultural background, the slang, the vocabulary, the singing technique... everything changes in that span.

I don't know how old you are but I'd wager you wouldn't even recognize your voice as a teenager.

Very interesting if that is true! Thanks as always, PlanetPage. :D

...and tks as always,

interesting comments so far on this mystery release, Boby Dylan is Jimmy's hero - "Page had this to say about Dylan at the 2011 Ivor Novello Awards:

• Question: Bob Dylan turns 70 this month. What does he mean to you?

• Jimmy Page: "Bob Dylan...Oh my goodness ... He changed it all, didn't he? Yeah, he's just remarkable, Bob Dylan. His early work ... and still now. He is just head and shoulders above so many people".

..and the Single posted here She Just Satisfies does sound the same in this audio clip, somewhat anyway...

Thankyou to PlanetPage for starting off the fascinating chain of speculation about yesterday's entry. I'm sorry not to have seen even more contributors as so many of you have the answers to these mysteries..

I certainly have no answers - but I agree there is something fishy about it all. And the mention of the uncle is a bit random too.. (the uncle at least is a real person: does that authenticate Paul , or is it just meant to?) hmmm

Thankyou to PlanetPage for starting off the fascinating chain of speculation about yesterday's entry. I'm sorry not to have seen even more contributors as so many of you have the answers to these mysteries..

I certainly have no answers - but I agree there is something fishy about it all. And the mention of the uncle is a bit random too.. (the uncle at least is a real person: does that authenticate Paul , or is it just meant to?) hmmm

Or that he lost touch with "Paul" when he joined the Yardbirds

Really digging this song, might even get into The Who.

I really like it too. I never really heard it entirely before tonight.

I tried to look up Paul Bedford last night but couldn't find anything. The only authentic thing Grand Prix is a real movie. :D

......interesting mystery surrounding this rare single...mystery artist "Paul" is perhaps Jimmy Page himself?.....

PAUL Will You Follow Me ? (Extremely rare 1966 UK white title Polydor 'A' label promotional vinyl 7" with intact original three prong centre featuring the jaunty, poppy A Side & also featuring Head Death, an acoustic vocal number in the folky style of the day. A great deal of mystery surrounds this release. We all know of 'She Just Satisfies' as a Jimmy Page solo release, but this release has both the A & B sides credited to [Paul] Bedford, with both tracks published by James Page Music, produced & arranged by Jimmy Page. Rumour has it that 'Paul' is none other than Jimmy Page issuing a second solo single working under a pseudonym. Whatever the truth is, what is certain is that Jimmy Page is the guitarist on both tracks & that this copy is in amazing near 'as new' condition as it has been recovered from the archive collection of an eminent music reviewer where it has remained untouched for over thirty years! BM56045).

http://eil.com/shop/...atalogid=455906

Thank you for the interesting background information, PlanetPage. I talked to two friends about this. Both feel (and I agree with them) that the singer here has a Roy Harper-like folk quality to his voice. One friend told me that Paul Bedford was a 19th century London folk singer and poet so perhaps Jimmy took his lyrics/poem, set them to music, sang them, and gave Paul credit. We're not sure if any of this is true, of course, but it seems to us to be consistent with Jimmy's interest in history and literature that he would delve back in time to find something that he could musically adapt to the folk rock scene of the mid-1960's.

In a May 1974 interview with Creem magazine, Jimmy Page claimed to have played rhythm guitar on the song as a session guitarist which was confirmed by Pete Townshend and record producer Shel Talmy. According to those working on the recordings, Page's contribution to the session is believed to have not made the final cut, and has been brought into question. The Who have used "I Can't Explain" throughout many of their live performances, often as the opener, and it continues to be a staple today.

If you look close you can see John Paul Jones is using his 68' Hagstrum H8 8 string bass, for what I have no idea, this is the only picture I have ever seen of him using it. Also notice John Bonham is still using his green sparkle kit, the clear vista lite kit did not come until a couple months later.

Archived