JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

The Kings Hall was demolished more than 20 years ago, as I sadly discovered when I arrived in Aberystwyth with my camera during the '98 Walking Into Everywhere world tour. The site of the King's Hall is now known as Llys y Brenin, which includes a restaurant and row of shops with residential apartments above. It's the smaller white building with the conical tower on the far left in the photo presented On This Day.

If you look close you can see John Paul Jones is using his 68' Hagstrum H8 8 string bass, for what I have no idea, this is the only picture I have ever seen of him using it. Also notice John Bonham is still using his green sparkle kit, the clear vista lite kit did not come until a couple months later.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/studio-and-live-gear/1379

01/16/2012

11612.jpg

That looks like a beautiful old building but the sea and the sepia tone make it look so bleak and cold in January...it makes me think of how much the guys must have loved arriving in the California sunshine, just a few months later. I had forgotten how small the U.K. venues seemed relative to the massive coliseums they were playing to capacity in the U.S. at that time.

01/17/2012

On this day...17 Jan 1967.....

117121.jpg

I love the Raffles - one of the most elegant old hotels we'd ever stayed at...Jimmy's photo is beautiful and captures its essence so well. I'm always fascinated to see what images Jimmy chooses to share from his travels and how he describes the places in only one or two sentences.

There was a discussion and some wonderful clippings of the Yardbirds concert in Singapore here: http://forums.ledzep...with-yardbirds/

Thankyou to PlanetPage for starting off the fascinating chain of speculation about yesterday's entry. I'm sorry not to have seen even more contributors as so many of you have the answers to these mysteries..

I certainly have no answers - but I agree there is something fishy about it all. And the mention of the uncle is a bit random too.. (the uncle at least is a real person: does that authenticate Paul , or is it just meant to?) hmmm

..you very welcome; I did bit of searching on this, there are quite few English Folk Music Sites/Reference Libraries, but this name I have not come across yet (as fans also report the same so far); Having said this, I think this is the most fascinating entry yet,,,,I mean could there be anyone more fascinating than Jimmy?

Should anything turns up on this mysterious Poet/artist, I will certainly post it...for Jimmy to be fascinated by this "Paul Bedford"...The fans certainly would like to explore his work...as has Our Hero...

Thank you for the interesting background information, PlanetPage. I talked to two friends about this. Both feel (and I agree with them) that the singer here has a Roy Harper-like folk quality to his voice. One friend told me that Paul Bedford was a 19th century London folk singer and poet so perhaps Jimmy took his lyrics/poem, set them to music, sang them, and gave Paul credit. We're not sure if any of this is true, of course, but it seems to us to be consistent with Jimmy's interest in history and literature that he would delve back in time to find something that he could musically adapt to the folk rock scene of the mid-1960's.

Thanks for this wonderful info. MSG; I think you have said it the best about Jimmy here, his "interests" as a young passionate artist ready to change the world....

I am sure many fans will keep their eyes on this mysterious Poet...

Thanks for saving "Head Death", hecube. I was able to save it through this. You might be right. It always makes me wonder why he hates/ almost makes fun of his singing.

...AEN27, it does make wonder also, I like what Dave Berry said in the video I posted earlier up top - you don't have to be perfect to be a "pop" singer...overall Stage command/Performance is much to be said for concerts, live performances, touring...

(I am thinking from a point of view of "Playback" singing, which I am familiar with in Films, in which case you must be perfect Vocalist to fit the imagery/reflection on screen/Films)

I love the Raffles - one of the most elegant old hotels we'd ever stayed at...Jimmy's photo is beautiful and captures its essence so well. I'm always fascinated to see what images Jimmy chooses to share from his travels and how he describes the places in only one or two sentences.

There was a discussion and some wonderful clippings of the Yardbirds concert in Singapore here: http://forums.ledzep...with-yardbirds/

...here is more Forum discussion in relation to the beautiful commentary posted by the very Beautiful James Patrick Page Today: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ........

(Photobucket has deleted the Original Yardbirds Photo posted herein...Unable to locate at the moment, I will re-post later);

http://forums.ledzep...s/page__st__260

MSG - what beautiful memories that you got to stay here in this fascinating place...

How many ways can you spell Zeppelin?

To reference the comment at http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.com/Jan1969.html

I've read many similar stories about Zep in the early days. They ran a lean and mean outfit and it was always about the music.

Recently found this forum. What a great idea to capture his pages. I suppose it has already been put out there but I wished he would have called it Page on Page..................

Thanks for this wonderful info. MSG; I think you have said it the best about Jimmy here, his "interests" as a young passionate artist ready to change the world....

I am sure many fans will keep their eyes on this mysterious Poet...

You're welcome, PlanetPage. So many of Jimmy's OTD posts have solved some "mysteries" and answered questions I've long had while others, like this one about "Paul", have led to more questions and discoveries.

...here is more Forum discussion in relation to the beautiful commentary posted by the very Beautiful James Patrick Page Today: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ........

(Photobucket has deleted the Original Yardbirds Photo posted herein...Unable to locate at the moment, I will re-post later);

http://forums.ledzep...s/page__st__260

MSG - what beautiful memories that you got to stay here in this fascinating place...

I remember this post and the photo that went with it very well! I'll also try to locate my copy of that photo of young Jimmy in Singapore, posing with the civil servant and his family.

My husband and I always seek out places like this (or like the Taj in Bombay) when we travel - interesting places that are infused with history and character. As lovely as the Raffles was, for us, it didn't come close to the beauty and grandeur of Jag Mandir. :)

01/18/2012

11812.jpg

Thank you for capturing all of these images, AEN. :) For me, all of Jimmy's posts about the shows he's played have been interesting but I especially like posts such as this one (as well as the recent ones about the LZ shows in Spokane and Aberystwyth) where Jimmy shares his own impressions of the audiences and the audiences' reactions to the band and its music.

You're welcome, PlanetPage. So many of Jimmy's OTD posts have solved some "mysteries" and answered questions I've long had while others, like this one about "Paul", have led to more questions and discoveries.

I remember this post and the photo that went with it very well! I'll also try to locate my copy of that photo of young Jimmy in Singapore, posing with the civil servant and his family.

My husband and I always seek out places like this (or like the Taj in Bombay) when we travel - interesting places that are infused with history and character. As lovely as the Raffles was, for us, it didn't come close to the beauty and grandeur of Jag Mandir. :)

...MSG, Jag Mandir ... quite the history and character.....

Thanks MSG....I found that photo and I have saved it now again from Yardbirds Thread...(This is one of fav's of Jimmy... ;) ;))

http://Yardbirdssingapore.jpg

Archived