JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Planet, thanks for referring that marvelous Pathe film on Holloway Women's Prison. Crikey, the place is massive and very dire-looking. Didn't know the UK had that many female criminals.

One is also left to ponder Neil Christian's plans to drive 30,000 miles per month in Britain. It's about 400 miles from London to Edinburgh, so ... that's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to add up.

Planet, thanks for referring that marvelous Pathe film on Holloway Women's Prison. Crikey, the place is massive and very dire-looking. Didn't know the UK had that many female criminals.

That incarnation of the prison was knocked down in the 70's, and the red brick and concrete bunker that has replaced it is actually even more dire looking - at least the old prison had some character!

"I didn't hear anything more from Grohl, and John Paul Jones' communications seemed to dim. The next I heard, they were promoting their new group."

Not wishing to overly parse the above statement, but does it appear to be a little bitchy? It seems odd coming from the same guy who essentially excluded JPJ from the P&P shindig in the 1990s (remember the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speeches!!). Karma, perhaps? Or simply a saucerful of milk for Mr Page? Meow! :P

"During the post-O2 period, I had been playing new material with Jason Bonham and John Paul Jones at rehearsal rooms. .... Dave Grohl said "You guys should come to the States and record with us". I didn't hear anything more from Grohl, and John Paul Jones' communications seemed to dim. The next I heard, they were promoting their new group.

Can anyone throw light on what this implies ? To the very best of my knowledge ( I'd say certain, but with JP it's always "almost certain" ) he was still doing the whole rehearsal thing, with JPJ, in the autumn of 2008, months after the Foo Fighters gig.

Then the emergence of TCV was - as I remember it - well into 2009 .

It may be that JPJ went quiet on him: if so the chronology is key ... and it looks as if JP is being disingenuous about that ..

Any thoughts on this ?

From a totally different perspective - although I know it must have been months ago when he wrote this OTD ... and only a couple of weeks since he was cornered by the Daily Telegraph about the "Olympics snub" - I'm sorry to find a wounded tone coming through from Jimmy. He has always been adept at mixing emotional honesty with careful control about what he really thinks, and I don't know how intentional this is. I hope it's just coincidence... IMO it's not a good look.

On a more cheerful note.... Jimmy looks crazily happy in that photo though Dave Grohl is doing his best to match it ....

And : you've got to love Grohl ( you really have ) but his voice and Ramble On are NOT a good pairing ..

It does seem to me that Jimmy has a bit of sour grapes.

What I find interesting is that Ross Douchebag takes credit for Jimmy and JPJ playing with the Foos. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

From his diary

June 7,2008

"Dave had asked me (when I shot the Q magazine cover in LA ) after he'd emptied the bar at The Sunset Marquis of alcohol if I would ask Jimmy Page to play with the Foo Fighters at Wembley. I asked expecting no, but Jimmy said yes, much to my amazment. I sent Dave an email saying 'YOU OWE ME'. Dave suggested playing Train Kept A Rolling. Jimmy said at least play something the crowd will know like Rock And Roll. I said do Communication Breakdown as well, Jimmy was 'maybe' which means 'NO'. They agreed on Rock And Roll and Ramble On, Dave's or Taylor's idea - boring song - but what do I know, I'm only the messenger. Also John Paul Jones had been added so Led Zeppelin and the Foos it is.

Went over to Jimmy's early evening and off we drove to Wembley. Saw Dave just before going on, did some photos of Mr and Mrs Grohl and JP. Watched and photographed the first part of the show from the Royal Box. Went back into the photo pit - ground level stage for the encores. The show was being filmed by at least twenty cameras on tracks/wires and by humans. As I climb up to one of the video ramps to shoot one of the crew goes mental saying 'We've only got one shot at this and you're ruining it!' At this point I turn into the Dr. Jekyll. 'Look, without me this encore wouldn't be happening, so bollocks, you've got eighty fucking cameras so fuck off.'"

Can anyone substantiate this claim?

No .. I certainly can't, but Ross's claim sounds very convincing ...though if he's such a lynchpin the flip side must be that he's to blame for not securing the (alleged) subsequent offer of more from Dave Grohl !

The question which emerges is who takes the lead in all this ? JP's status and seniority must prevent him from trying too hard in personally seeking out some new musical relationships. But that can't matter when he has Ross, and others, to carry his message, and mediate . If we're to believe he actively WANTED to follow up Dave Grohl's offer, then he had the means to do so...but most likely he wanted to keep his options wide open.

Also puzzling is the hurt over the Olympics ( if it's not exaggerated) . Although - I think - he had a change of management post-Beijing, there must have been key contacts to keep open, in the knowledge that London 2012 was round the corner. I think the Olympics people may well have been a bit discourteous*, but who knows what Jimmy's people were, or weren't , doing ?

And if all these people weren't doing the obvious things to further Jimmy's intentions ... then maybe the intentions themselves were a bit more wide open than they might have been ..

* ( on the matter of courtesy I was struck to see Brian May in the Royal Box during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert. He'd memorably played a gultar solo of "God Save the Queen" on the roof of Buckingham Palace for her Golden Jubilee ten years before; although he had no part to play this time he had seemingly been invited along as a courtesy ... obviously in contrast to Jimmy's treatment by the Olympics people.)

"I didn't hear anything more from Grohl, and John Paul Jones' communications seemed to dim. The next I heard, they were promoting their new group."

Not wishing to overly parse the above statement, but does it appear to be a little bitchy? It seems odd coming from the same guy who essentially excluded JPJ from the P&P shindig in the 1990s (remember the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speeches!!). Karma, perhaps? Or simply a saucerful of milk for Mr Page? Meow! :P

I'm thinking Grohl will smack himself when he reads that quote. I've always wondered if Page was ever approached about that project, I'm guessing the answer is no.

"During the post-O2 period, I had been playing new material with Jason Bonham and John Paul Jones at rehearsal rooms. .... Dave Grohl said "You guys should come to the States and record with us". I didn't hear anything more from Grohl, and John Paul Jones' communications seemed to dim. The next I heard, they were promoting their new group.

Can anyone throw light on what this implies ? To the very best of my knowledge ( I'd say certain, but with JP it's always "almost certain" ) he was still doing the whole rehearsal thing, with JPJ, in the autumn of 2008, months after the Foo Fighters gig.

Then the emergence of TCV was - as I remember it - well into 2009 .

According to Wikipedia, TCV didn't start recording until July of 2009, 11 months after the Wembley gig, and they performed their first gig in August.

This article dated Sept. 2008 "Led Zeppelin plan to audition new singer", if Robert doesn't make up his mind.

http://www.thesun.co...new-singer.html

January 2009. Pages manager says "Led Zeppelin are over"

http://www.rollingst...clares-20090108

Bitter Page? I don't know.. Seems to me he may be making excuses for an opportunity, he instead of jumping at, probably in his usual fashion mulled himself right out of the deal. It's almost as if he's saying "Yeah, well I was going to do something but they didn't send me a memo"

"I didn't hear anymore from Grohl." I'm assuming based on that statement he probably didn't personally try to contact Grohl...

Maybe JPJ just had the itch and didn't want to wait for Page to make up his mind?

As for the RATM concert he attended

"i left with a renewed respect for RATM" This was the concert that De la Roche condemned Israel during Operation Cast Lead.

I remember at the time Halfin wrote about this in his journal and too agreed with De la Roche. I hope this is what he's referring to.

Because when I read the article at the time this occurred, I felt the same way.

And : you've got to love Grohl ( you really have ) ...

Nope! He was fantastic as Nirvana's drummer, but since then he comes off as an annoying, ubiquitous self-promoter. And now that we know he snubbed Jimmy, one can also add "prat" to Mr. Grohl's description. [only my opinion, of course]

Not only yours - mine too.

I neither know nor care who writes the Foo Fighters' songs, but they are the lamest excuse for a medium-to-mega rock band I've heard for a very long time. But hey, grief sells.

I'm not a fan of the Foo Fighters but I don't see them capitalizing on "grief".

I'm not saying they've consciously made an effort to capitalise on it. But let's be frank here: if Grohl hadn't been in Nirvana, would anyone really have been interested in their lame songs?

There's no way of knowing that. Like I said, I'm not a fan but there's a lot worse out there as far as mainstream rock such as Nickelback for instance.

I'm not so sure that Nickelback are worse than the Foos. At least they've written a few memorable songs. And at least they got a record deal on the stength of their music, rather than on the back of the drummer's previous band.

Nickelback is pretty much bottom of the barrel but then again you also like the Eagles and Journey so there's no accounting for taste. Did you expect Grohl to give up on making music following Cobain's death? If so, shouldn't the same have been true for the surviving members of Zeppelin or any group that was sidelined by tragedy? I don't get even the slightest impression that Grohl has done anything to cash in on Cobain's death. He's a musician so obviously he's going to continue to pursue making music as his profession.

I don't get even the slightest impression that Grohl has done anything to cash in on Cobain's death.

If anything, other people seem to be constantly bringing Cobain into the fold, especially during interviews with Grohl - it's something he can never get away from.

I'm not so sure that Nickelback are worse than the Foos. At least they've written a few memorable songs. And at least they got a record deal on the stength of their music, rather than on the back of the drummer's previous band.

You mean like Atlantic signing Zeppelin on the back of Jimmy playing with the Yardbirds?

If anything, other people seem to be constantly bringing Cobain into the fold, especially during interviews with Grohl - it's something he can never get away from.

He's always going to come up in interviews, there's just no escaping it, especially with this past year marking the 20th anniversary of Nevermind's release. The only thing the Foo Fighters have in common with Nirvana is Grohl. I'd never mistake one for the other sonically. It's not like Grohl and Novoselic have regrouped without Cobain. I'll just chalk it up to more trolling on Major Major's part.

Well this sheds an interesting light on the formation of TCV. An interview with Grohl in a 2005 issue of Mojo:

"Is there anyone you're still itching to play with? MOJO could hook you up...

The next project that I'm trying to initiate involves me on drums, Josh Homme on guitar, and John Paul Jones playing bass. That's the next album. That wouldn't suck."

http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/mojointerview05.htm

So they were planning to get together long before the 2008 Foo Fighters Wembley concert. Jimmy wasn't snubbed, he was never in the plans to begin with.

Archived