JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Thanks AEN, that scan is what I was referrring to in my viewpoint, and SAJ I have not seen that NME excerpt before, that is although after the fact Kashmir already conceived/performed...

The excerpt from Guitarworld May 2005 ( I will scan at later time, the entire article, although I think it maybe present in Light and Shade upcoming book from GW)

GW: "According to Robert Plant, "Kashmir" came out of a trip you and he took to Moroco in 1973, where you soaked up the local music and any other stimulants on offer. Plant told me in 2002 that the trip culminated with him waking up next to you "in a very unattractive place, to the sound of camels spitting."

PAGE: I don't remember it like that, but then he might; Robert's take on it is a bit more romantic than mine. But "Kashmir" {initially known as Driving to Kashmir} came out of a riff I had written, and you could say that the intense, hypnotic quality was similar to that of the music we' heard in Morocco. It culminated in a cascading fanare that, on the record, includes a {Mellotron} string crescendo. That was the essence of how it came together. John Paul Jones was not even at rehearsals at the time; it was just me and John {Bonham} to start with, and then Robert came to me with lyrics he said he'd written in Morocco during that trip. That's my recollection of it."

well, it is difficult to remember the consistency of time, Jimmy already had written riff, a work in progress so to speak..

Thanks AEN, that scan is what I was referrring to in my viewpoint, and SAJ I have not seen that NME excerpt before, that is although after the fact Kashmir already conceived/performed...

The excerpt from Guitarworld May 2005 ( I will scan at later time, the entire article, although I think it maybe present in Light and Shade upcoming book from GW)

GW: "According to Robert Plant, "Kashmir" came out of a trip you and he took to Moroco in 1973, where you soaked up the local music and any other stimulants on offer. Plant told me in 2002 that the trip culminated with him waking up next to you "in a very unattractive place, to the sound of camels spitting."

PAGE: I don't remember it like that, but then he might; Robert's take on it is a bit more romantic than mine. But "Kashmir" {initially known as Driving to Kashmir} came out of a riff I had written, and you could say that the intense, hypnotic quality was similar to that of the music we' heard in Morocco. It culminated in a cascading fanare that, on the record, includes a {Mellotron} string crescendo. That was the essence of how it came together. John Paul Jones was not even at rehearsals at the time; it was just me and John {Bonham} to start with, and then Robert came to me with lyrics he said he'd written in Morocco during that trip. That's my recollection of it."

well, it is difficult to remember the consistency of time, Jimmy already had written riff, a work in progress so to speak..

I just realized something that in hindsight is rather obvious- Kashmir is on Physical Graffiti, which was mixed by November 1974 and released on Feb 24, 1975. This means Jimmy & Robert's trip to Morroco in '75 is irrelevant to the conception and writing of Kashmir.

The trip Robert took to Morocco that Jimmy mentions may well have been June 1973 -- but clearly it was a trip taken without Jimmy.

I just realized something that in hindsight is rather obvious- Kashmir is on Physical Graffiti, which was mixed by November 1974 and released on Feb 24, 1975. This means Jimmy & Robert's trip to Morroco in '75 is irrelevant to the conception and writing of Kashmir.

The trip Robert took to Morocco that Jimmy mentions may well have been June 1973 -- but clearly it was a trip taken without Jimmy.

...SAJ Thanks again, Recording Sessions for PG were to my understanding over the few years at various times/months Prior to release '75 as you have such details, so it is impossible to know when the actual recording may have taken place, as for Original Title Driving to Kashmir, it would be logical to make sense if they were actually in India during their travels, they would think of perhaps drivining from Bombay to North, Kashmir...this is one of my reasonings...Robert Plant remembers visiting Morrocco with Jimmy together so it seems, had he visited there earlier he would have indicated at some point in his interviews,(in the 70's) but I don't have access to his every interview, most of interviews I read they are together in Morrocco Jimmy/Robert...

one can discuss this till camels came home...likewise it is time to exist Charming Robert Plant's Caravan of Many Tales...

Thank you again for this fasincating discussion...

Long Live Led Zeppelin, forever passionate forever youthful

Recording Sessions for PG were to my understanding over the few years at various times/months prior to release '75 as you have such details, so it is impossible to know when the actual recording may have taken place...

Kashmir was completed and recorded for Physical Graffiti in Jan/Feb 1974, and the album was released Feb 24, 1975. Jimmy's first visit to Morocco was June '75, and he was accompanied by Robert.

Kashmir was completed and recorded for Physical Graffiti in Jan/Feb 1974, and the album was released Feb 24, 1975. Jimmy's first visit to Morocco was June '75, and he was accompanied by Robert.

Thanks for clearing this up Steve. Hopefully, for good!

Thank you all, SAJ for clearing up those details on the recording session!!

Ally, I do see what you mean, I have not heard of the show before, she is very beautiful, and reminds me of Page himself...

Superdave, I learned few new details about this Epic Kashmir...it is bit clearer to me now with few new pieces of evidence that have surfaced so far...

best

PPAGE

...I have seen this interview before, but without connecting logic of Morrocco to Kashmir since new evidence has been provided by Jimmy Page/Passport Stamp Travel to Morrocco...

Circus: What were your travels in Morocco all about?

Plant: Well, I'd been there before with my wife Maureen and I'd started to touch beyond the usual clip-cloppity "This way mister, this way mister" kinds of places. I went back with Maureen directly after the Earl's Court gigs,

Robert's vision of Driving to Kashmir......

Circus: Jimmy Page was along for some of that trip. Do you imagine that his music would be affected by it?

Plant: I'd imagine so. It doesn't manifest itself as a direct emulation of their music, but when you've seen it and felt it, it has an effect on you, just like a car accident has its effects too. Everything washes off on you, although some things aren't so immediately apparent as other things But I don't think Morocco is the most inspiring place that I shall ever go to. It's my ambition to go to Kashmir, and I'm saving that as the last trek. What I want to do is to travel north from India,

...I truly admire Robert's comments how he wishes to travel to the East while the opposite is true for East attracted to the West, On this Note, likewise, I totally fell in love with newly discovered treasure called Led Zeppelin in the West, once upon a time....

Can anyone help me find the older background images for the On This Day feature? There's a bunch that I would like to save but I don't know how to find the URLs for each image. In the past some users have directly linked to the background image to view the file, is there a way to find the URLS for any given date?

Ah don't mind me, found it. Type in http://cdn.jimmypage.com/sites/default/files/on-this-day/bg/bgDATE.jpg and replace date with the date of the on this day. For example, to get the Knebworth background image for the 1st August 1979 the URL is http://cdn.jimmypage.com"/sites/default/files/on-this-day/bg/bg010879.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I miss David... funniest person I've ever known. Here's some pics I've posted before from the session:

post-5-0-07626500-1328063086.jpg post-5-0-69471700-1328063086.jpg post-5-0-47849700-1328063087.jpg post-5-0-58975000-1328063088.jpg

...Very Honorary Birthday to the Beloved Artist...

Lord Sutch honoured with blue plaque

A blue plaque was unveiled today to commemorate the founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, David 'Screaming Lord' Sutch.

The unveiling at the Ace Café in Wembley was arranged to coincide with what would have been his 72nd birthday.

Lord Sutch fought more than 40 elections in his trademark top hat and leopard print suit and although he was always treated as something of a joke, some of his policies were actually ahead of their time.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2012-11-04/screaming-lord-sutch/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, it's another repeat from last year, BUT....

I am really pleased and honored that Jimmy used my photos from the Dallas ARMS 1983 show in a 4 photo set in his OTD again this year....

They are photos I took at the Dallas ARMS show running on his On This Day page today - November 28, 2012. It will be up for the next 24 hours at http://www.jimmypage.com/

Thank you Jimmy....!

622076_251014545027918_1085787852_o.jpg

Hey, it's another repeat from last year, BUT....

I am really pleased and honored that Jimmy used my photos from the Dallas ARMS 1983 show in a 4 photo set in his OTD again this year....

They are photos I took at the Dallas ARMS show running on his On This Day page today - November 28, 2012. It will be up for the next 24 hours at http://www.jimmypage.com/

Thank you Jimmy....!

622076_251014545027918_1085787852_o.jpg

Wow, that's great! Congratulations markbowmanimages! Great pictures, by the way.

11/30/11

113011.jpg

I appeared on Channel V with Robert Plant

Robert Plant and I had been invited to accept an award from Channel V - India’s premier music channel - and we had won an award for longevity.

The highlight of the show were to be Los Del Rios, whose 'Macarena' song was a global hit at the time. Unfortunately at the last minute the duo pulled out of the trip as one of them had developed a sore throat; which was quite ironic considering they were going to mime. As it was, the chief dancer and choreographer of their video was to perform the song on her own. I believe this was the first time Channel V was doing this on an international level and now they had a bit of problem. They approached us to do something and of course we didn’t have any instruments and hadn’t rehearsed. It was suggested that we could mime Rock’n’Roll with Roger Taylor from Queen on drums (who was there to accept an award on behalf of Freddie Mercury) and a bass player from Goa.

We agreed to it and did a quick rehearsal, I felt sorry for Channel V that they’d been let down by the Macarena boys. During the rehearsals the Goan bass player was well behaved but when it came to the show he suddenly developed a dose of Saint Vitus Dance and transformed into Billy Whiz crossed with the Flash. He couldn’t stop moving throughout the song and made it even more of a pantomime than it already was. But hey we did it and it was real good to be part of this special award show which is still being aired today.

...Some Fond Memories of Original Bombay, Original Name still present as of Nov/'12...

Photo: Lachman Balani

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/planetPage_bucket/SlipDisc-2.jpg]http://SlipDisc-2.jpg

Archived