JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I show the August 11th 1979 issues of Melody Maker and New Musical Express contain Knebworth reviews as well as In Through The Out Door album reviews, while Record Mirror for that date contains a Knebworth review. However, the paper he's reading is of much larger size than any of those; must be a daily. Perhaps Financial Times? The Times? If anyone has access to online archives for London dailies confirmation should be possible.

SAJ,

I have access to online databases. I am trying to work by a process of elimination. Back in 1979, the Sunday Express was in broadsheet format, so I searched through the SE archive and nothing came up for the month of August 1979. What I found on that particular database were three small articles from the Daily Express and The Mirror.

A review by a silly 'journalist' called Pauline MacLeod where she runs the band's performance down.:angry: The Daily Mirror 6th August 1979

An article about 5,000 stolen tickets at £7.50 each.:o There's another LZ mystery for you - who nicked them?:P

An item about 15 arrests :rolleyes: - at the bottom of a nice piece about Keith Richards taking his family to Knebworth.smile.gif

I don't think it was the Sunday Express he was reading in any event, as it came in one piece. Other broadsheets are in sections, which can be split up, which is the case here as he is reading one section and sitting on another.

I've found the review by Mick Brown in The Guardian which may already be on this site somewhere. The Guardian is a UK daily, so as August 12th was a Sunday, it is not really relevant, but I'll attach it anyway.

The online databases for the broadsheets like LexisNexus only go back to 1990.

post-14347-0-76901200-1313421044_thumb.j

post-14347-0-43200100-1313421066_thumb.j

post-14347-0-84113300-1313421094_thumb.j

guardian mick brown.pdf

SAJ,

I have access to online databases. I am trying to work by a process of elimination. Back in 1979, the Sunday Express was in broadsheet format, so I searched through the SE archive and nothing came up for the month of August 1979. What I found on that particular database were three small articles from the Daily Express and The Mirror.

A review by a silly 'journalist' called Pauline MacLeod where she runs the band's performance down.:angry: The Daily Mirror 6th August 1979

An article about 5,000 stolen tickets at £7.50 each.:o There's another LZ mystery for you - who nicked them?:P

An item about 15 arrests :rolleyes: - at the bottom of a nice piece about Keith Richards taking his family to Knebworth.smile.gif

I don't think it was the Sunday Express he was reading in any event, as it came in one piece. Other broadsheets are in sections, which can be split up, which is the case here as he is reading one section and sitting on another.

Someone elsewhere pointed out the paper's peach-colored tinge hints at it being the Financial Times. All of the scans you've posted make welcome additions to my archive!

Someone elsewhere pointed out the paper's peach-colored tinge hints at it being the Financial Times. All of the scans you've posted make welcome additions to my archive!

SAJ,

I don't believe the FT is published on a Sunday. I've just checked with LexisNexus online database and their FT's only go back as far as 1986. There are, however, 224 articles with 'Led Zeppelin' in them since that date till now.

I hate to be cynical ;) , but we only have Jimmy's word for it that that photo was taken on the 12th August. I accept that it is the summer of 1979 due to his physical appearance.

As I have been searching the online databases which I have access to, I came across articles which may be of interest to people here (assuming that they have not been posted here already). Do you think it would be worthwhile posting them on the site? If so, where? I know Conneyfogle used to do a newspaper article forum.

And here we go, 15/08/11 :D

"making love to their women...." :lol:

I loved that too. :D

I love reading these updates. When one of my friends shared this one with me earlier today, I laughed and smiled. Love this one. Did the band actually stay in San Antonio that night (and if so, where? The Menger?) or did they fly back to Dallas or New Orleans? Did any of the band members visit the old San Antonio music shops? I have a copy of the old photo (and receipt) that someone took of Keith Richards in one of those music shops (where he purchased a guitar) and I'm wondering if Jimmy or the other LZ members did the same thing.

I love reading these updates. When one of my friends shared this one with me earlier today, I laughed and smiled. Love this one. Did the band actually stay in San Antonio that night (and if so, where? The Menger?) or did they fly back to Dallas or New Orleans? Did any of the band members visit the old San Antonio music shops? I have a copy of the old photo (and receipt) that someone took of Keith Richards in one of those music shops (where he purchased a guitar) and I'm wondering if Jimmy or the other LZ members did the same thing.

I have no confirmation on where they stayed that night but using New Orleans (for example) as a transportation and accomodations hub didn't come along until much later. Their gig the next day was in NJ so they must have been flown out of Texas.

I have no confirmation on where they stayed that night but using New Orleans (for example) as a transportation and accomodations hub didn't come along until much later. Their gig the next day was in NJ so they must have been flown out of Texas.

Thanks. I saw that on the timeline, that their next gig was Asbury Park, and I wondered if they had flown out right after the show or stayed the night in Texas and flew back first thing the next morning.

Archived