JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Thank you aen27 and MSG.

Is it me or does he have the date wrong. He has 1969 but the record labels show 1965.

You're welcome, Melanie. I think the date in Jimmy's title here is wrong - the records are from 1965 and by 1969 Nico had already been with Warhol and VU, although Jimmy says his affiliation with her was before that.

Thank you aen27 and MSG.

Is it me or does he have the date wrong. He has 1969 but the record labels show 1965.

I noticed that too. I guess another little goof! :bagoverhead: Some day they'll get this right. At least I hope! All three sides of the 45's say 1965 in the publishing criteria. Like this song. :D

Like the editor's note! :lol:

You're welcome, Melanie. I think the date in Jimmy's title here is wrong - the records are from 1965 and by 1969 Nico had already been with Warhol and VU, although Jimmy says his affiliation with her was before that.

I believe the single 'I'm Not Sayin'/'The Last Mile' was recorded in May 1965 and released in September 1965, but August 19, 1965 works.

Note The Yardbirds (with Jimmy Page), The Velvet Underground, Nico, Gary Lewis and The Playboys, etc. all performed during the "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars" held at the Michigan State Fairgrounds Coliseum in Detroit, MI on November 18, 19 & 20 1966 (two performances played each day).

I believe the single 'I'm Not Sayin'/'The Last Mile' was recorded in May 1965 and released in September 1965, but August 19, 1965 works.

Note The Yardbirds (with Jimmy Page), The Velvet Underground, Nico, Gary Lewis and The Playboys, etc. all performed during the "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars" held at the Michigan State Fairgrounds Coliseum in Detroit, MI on November 18, 19 & 20 1966 (two performances played each day).

That's one reason why my friends and I were confused - this is the info for the photo I posted: The Exploding Plastic Inevitable/Velvet Underground played the Carnaby Street Fun Festival in Detroit on a bill with the Yardbirds on Nov 20th 1966. Andy Warhol presided over a wedding during the event. The unusual wedding ceremony included a man smashing a car with a sledgehammer and Warhol applying paint and ketchup to to a woman's paper dress while she was wearing it. Warhol's wedding gift to the couple was an inflatable copy of a Baby Ruth candy bar measuring five feet long. The couple was also invited to the Factory for a screen test. The wedding was part of the Carnaby Street Fun Festival in Detroit which also featured the Yardbirds, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Sam the Sham and Dick Clark.

But Getty Images has this info for a similar photo:: My link

The A-side was recorded in late May at Regent Sound. The B-side was recorded in late July, also at Regent. The single was one of 3 records released simultaneously on 8/20/65 to launch the new Immediate Records label (of which Page was a staff member). Supposedly, Brian Jones contributed guitar to the Nico sessions, but I don't detect any of his distinct sound on either track.

Very interesting. I wonder what the first recording produced by Jimmy was.

"I routined with Nico in her muse flat..." I can translate the mews flat part, but using routine as a verb has me confused.

Here's Jimmy's song "Just Like Anyone Would Do" by Fifth Avenue

I love Jimmy's August 19 "On this day" - it is one of my favorite posts from his website. "The Last Mile" is intensely hypnotic (or hypnotically intense). I thought Nico was intriguing and beautiful and I was fascinated by the avant-garde and bohemian lifestyle she led (and the groundbreaking "punk before punk" music Nico and the Velvets created) - I'm glad Jimmy chose to feature his affiliation with her.

Thank you aen27 and MSG.

I notice the date has been corrected to 1965. :)

"I routined with Nico in her muse flat..." I can translate the mews flat part, but using routine as a verb has me confused.

Here's Jimmy's song "Just Like Anyone Would Do" by Fifth Avenue

My friends and I thought using routine as a verb might have been a euphemism (and maybe it is) because Jimmy writes of Nico's "muse flat" rather than "mews flat." Someone told us last night that he thought Jimmy's use of routine as a verb was an archaic/unusual way of saying that something (rehearsals, writing, something else?) was done according to routine.

My friends and I thought using routine as a verb might have been a euphemism (and maybe it is) because Jimmy writes of Nico's "muse flat" rather than "mews flat." Someone told us last night that he thought Jimmy's use of routine as a verb was an archaic/unusual way of saying that something (rehearsals, writing, something else?) was done according to routine.

Who knows what he said. It's quite clear On This Day is being presented by the same guy who says "Thank you for calling AT & T, how may I be helping you?"

"Alexis Corner...routined...muse flat..."

Oh, Jesus Christ.

I think that is a very British way of saying rehearse. I am researching it at the moment but have not come up with anything to prove that.

I think that is a very British way of saying rehearse. I am researching it at the moment but have not come up with anything to prove that.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

2. trans. a. Of an actor: to play (a part) in a routine or conventional manner. Obs. rare.1897 G. B. Shaw in Sat. Rev. 18 Dec. 712/1 No actor can possibly play leading parts of the first order six nights a week all the year round unless he underplays them, or routines them mechanically in the old stock manner.

b. To link or unite (aspects of a performance) into a routine (routine n. 3); to write or construct a routine for (a performance).

1928 Galveston (Texas) Daily News 10 Nov. 6/2 The Martini headliner rates among the beat dancers of vaudeville and is particularly adept at routining eccentric steps.1941 W. C. Handy Father of Blues iv. 39, I was consulted by Whalen and Martelle relative to routining their shows.1948 'La Meri' Spanish Dancing iv. 43 There are a variety of typical steps which can be routined at the will of the dancer.1959 F. Astaire Steps in Time (1960) xx. 227, I didn't have time to routine a new set of ticky-tacky taps each week.1982 C. Casady & J. Davidson Singing Entertainer viii. 172 After you've routined the song(s) you're going to record, you‥should prepare lead sheets.2009 Daily Rec. (Glasgow) (Nexis) 20 Oct. 10 She's routined her song that many times for the video I don't think her own performance would have been an issue.

Routine means to work through a piece of music/acting, ironing out the flaws.

Great thread guys.

Archived