JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

IThe Kingdome, an inflatable dome in Seattle, was an indoor venue that held 70,000 people. It felt surreal, as we entered the building through an airlock door. Here is a section of my solo spot that features the theremin and the bow and the exploration of both. It's lengthy but gives an example of my avant garde journey with this sonic architecture.

The Kingdome was not an inflatable dome . It had a concrete roof

The Kingdome was not an inflatable dome . It had a concrete roof

I was wondering about that too. At first I imagined an oversized bouncy castle, but I looked it up and it said the Kingdome was a pretty solid building in back in its hey-dey, nothing mentioned it being "inflatable."

I was wondering about that too. At first I imagined an oversized bouncy castle, but I looked it up and it said the Kingdome was a pretty solid building in back in its hey-dey, nothing mentioned it being "inflatable."

He's confused The Kingdome in Seattle with The Silverdome in Pontiac. Anyway, it's disconcerting that the recollection was accompanied by a fuzzy You Tube clip as oppposed to crystal clear footage from the archive.

He's confused The Kingdome in Seattle with The Silverdome in Pontiac. Anyway, it's disconcerting that the recollection was accompanied by a fuzzy You Tube clip as oppposed to crystal clear footage from the archive.

There may not be crystal clear footage. I think he just wanted to show what he's talking about.

There may not be crystal clear footage. I think he just wanted to show what he's talking about.

I think most JP watchers would already know all they need to about the 77 'noise solos', and would probably have seen the full version of this show.

I find it interesting that he's chosen this as his first LZ clip. The other band members are notable by their absence. I hope this doesn't mean he's not gonna be posting any full-band stuff. I can't imagine he's not allowed to...?

I'm not saying SteveAJones is right about EVERYTHING, but if he says there's clearer footage in the archives, I'm apt to believe him.

And hecube is right...it is borderline Spinal Tap-ish. I mentioned this over on the Seattle 1975 soundboard thread, but will reiterate my point here. The violin bow segment worked better within the context of Dazed and Confused. As for the theremin bit, it feels naked and stagnant without the propulsion of Bonham and Jones groove pushing it along with Plant's orgiastic wails when it was part of Whole Lotta Love.

I'm not saying SteveAJones is right about EVERYTHING, but if he says there's clearer footage in the archives, I'm apt to believe him.

MTV aired clips of previously unreleased video footage from Seattle '77 (appearing to be first generation with raw unmixed sound) during a Led Zeppelin 'Rockumentary' that aired in 1990 to promote the release of the boxed set. I would'nt say I'm right about everything either but I am right about superior quality Seattle '77 footage being available in the past.

On This Day features are not archived on the site - they're gone after 24 hours - so it seems it wasn't worth it to revisit the original source recordings again.

MTV aired clips of previously unreleased video footage from Seattle '77 (appearing to be first generation with raw unmixed sound) during a Led Zeppelin 'Rockumentary' that aired in 1990 to promote the release of the boxed set. I would'nt say I'm right about everything either but I am right about superior quality Seattle '77 footage being available in the past.

On This Day features are not archived on the site - they're gone after 24 hours - so it seems it wasn't worth it to revisit the original source recordings again.

Steve I may be wrong but as I recollect the Rockumentary you mentioned it was Knebworth 79 footage as I clearly remeber seeing this video for Hot Dog.

No, SAJ is correct. They played parts of TSRTS and picture was excellent! I couldn't believe what I was seeing back then when I first saw the doc.

BTW, isn't the Silverdome and Kingdome both hard roof? Along with the Superdome. Not that it really matters.

Hot Dog was also, so you are not incorrect. I believe it was from a promo video, originally.

Dang, is there a single act today that could pull in a crowd even near that number?

Probably the Stones, U2, Dave Matthews, Paul McCartney, Bruce and a few country acts to name a few.

No, SAJ is correct. They played parts of TSRTS and picture was excellent! I couldn't believe what I was seeing back then when I first saw the doc.

Hot Dog was also, so you are not incorrect. I believe it was from a promo video, originally.

Don't think they showed Hot Dog during that Led Zep Rockumentary weekend. They showed full clips of Kashmir and Ten Years Gone from Knebworth and bits from Seattle, which were TSRTS and ALS. With the former Jimmy being on his knees playing part of it.

i find it amazing that they got this wrong. :o

isn't the "on this day " kinda the feature of the whole website? :blink:

makes you wonder if jimmy is really writing this stuff :unsure:

Don't think they showed Hot Dog during that Led Zep Rockumentary weekend. They showed full clips of Kashmir and Ten Years Gone from Knebworth and bits from Seattle, which were TSRTS and ALS. With the former Jimmy being on his knees playing part of it.

You may be correct on that one. I had a video tape that I bought from ZOSO magazine around that time and I think I am recalling from that instead of the MTV special. Sorry, buddy.

Archived