JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

7/20/11

72011.jpg

Wow!Thank you so much for putting this on here,aen27!It's really wonderful that Jimmy tells something by his own words(or sometimes by his true reliable staffs?)I remember this interview and Ross's great pics. :thanku:

Wow!Thank you so much for putting this on here,aen27!It's really wonderful that Jimmy tells something by his own words(or sometimes by his true reliable staffs?)I remember this interview and Ross's great pics. :thanku:

Yes, that it makes me happy too that you can how he writes that he enjoyed this photo shoot. I have this magazine and remember well when it came out. :D

I know it was a long shot, but I was hoping Jimmy would have commented on the July 20, 1977 Tempe, Arizona show today, and maybe even show a picture from that show, since none exist at this point. Oh well, maybe July 20, 2012!

....agreed from a fan's point of view - the juicy details........ :) ;

...but Jimmy wants to reflect HIS total 50 years career, perhaps he can make a double entry once in a while...a long shot also...

I loved the program. I think it's so beautiful and it must be his copy. I also wonder how many people reading this would even know the actors. It's very interesting that Pagey mentions Ralph Richardson and Flora Robson right on his site. It's really cool.

I know it was a long shot, but I was hoping Jimmy would have commented on the July 20, 1977 Tempe, Arizona show today, and maybe even show a picture from that show, since none exist at this point. Oh well, maybe July 20, 2012!

Not sure how happy Jimmy was with his performance at that show as well as the rest of the band. I've heard the show and many here have commented how it may be the low point of the 1977 tour. Not one of my faves. If Jimmy feels the same, I wouldn't expect a feature on it in the coming years. :dont:

7/21/11

72111.jpg

I loved the program. I think it's so beautiful and it must be his copy. I also wonder how many people reading this would even know the actors. It's very interesting that Pagey mentions Ralph Richardson and Flora Robson right on his site. It's really cool.

This is my favorite "On This Day" to date. I'm fascinated by the Beats' poetry and music - I love Royston Ellis, love the "Poetry at the Mermaid" program design, love the song "Jet Black" - and I love that Jimmy chose to include this on his site.

This is my favorite "On This Day" to date. I'm fascinated by the Beats' poetry and music - I love Royston Ellis, love the "Poetry at the Mermaid" program design, love the song "Jet Black" - and I love that Jimmy chose to include this on his site.

Yes indeed... A phenomenal entry. 'Jet Black' is surprisingly edgy (never heard it before!) and one can hear glimpses of where Page would go sonically over a decade later with Zeppelin. VERY avant garde!

It is probobly mine too. I love the design of the program. It is even more special because must be his own copy he posted for us.

Yes indeed... A phenomenal entry. 'Jet Black' is surprisingly edgy (never heard it before!) and one can hear glimpses of where Page would go sonically over a decade later with Zeppelin. VERY avant garde!

It is a phenomenal entry, for so many reasons. Just the sort of "gift" my friends and I were expecting Jimmy to give his fans via his new site. I love the avant garde sound of "Jet Black" - I think it foreshadows some of the things Jimmy would later do with the Yardbirds as well as LZ.

It is probobly mine too. I love the design of the program. It is even more special because must be his own copy he posted for us.

I imagine the program is his own copy too. An amazing event and a great memory for Jimmy from 50 years ago that he shared with us.

What a great entry this one. From the background on the gig, the physical program displayed and the audio track. Some great playing by Jimmy and the potential he was showing there for the future. :thumbsup:

7/21/11

72111.jpg

Well July 21st 1961 was a Friday and Jimmy normally accompanied Royston on weekends. According to Royston this gig was Sunday, July 23rd.

I shall put this forward to www.jimmypage.com.

This from Royston Ellis:

“Jimmy composed his own music to back my poems - usually ones from JIVING TO GYP - although I might have been performing the one with the line "Easy, easy, break me in easy" from RAVE” The Mermaid show was the peak - and possibly the final one - of our stage performances.”

"I gave Jimmy Page his first stage and TV shows when he backed me reading my poetry...”

“This was after my stage and TV appearances with The Shadows, because they became so in demand, I had to find other musicians…”

“I appeared on television with Jimmy on Southern Television from Southampton, with Julian Pettifer, in late 1960.”

“We did other shows together, too, in the 1960s…"

"There was one to the HERETICS society of Cambridge University on 4 March 1961 and another at the Mermaid Theatre, London, on Sunday 23 July 1961 which was just Jimmy and myself on stage as part of an evening of poets and actors (Ralph Richardson, Flora Robson, etc) reading works…”

“I used to appear with Jimmy alone (not with the group in which he played then, the Red Cats and managed by Chris Tidmarsh who later emerged as Neil Christian) although I think we may have recruited a bongo player for some dates…”

“Jimmy was sitting down in the background while I was lecturing.”

“I remember that Jimmy visited me when I was in Guernsey in early 1963 and we did a TV interview on Channel TV….

"We are still in touch and have met several times during the past decades... we are still firm friends...”

.....today's entry is the concept what I had hoped for in his official autobiography....thus a continuation now....

absolutely love the unique sound of his guitar playing...I have heard Jimmy talk about his early days/poetry backings before and elated to hear his reflection today;

Oh yes, definitely the coolest and most obscure "On This Day" entry yet. Love it!!

The guitar on this knocked me out. Is the entire recording available somewhere, a bootleg? Or is this 2 minute snippet all we get?

I tried to find it on youtube via Neil Christian and couldn't. I did not know the song until now and I loved his playing on it. I can see the Yardbirds and Zep coming too.

Archived