JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Someday, I hope that someone will take the time and trouble to compile the:

Led Zeppelin Facial Hair Timeline, exact as possible, for the band. :D

On what date did Jimmy shave off his beard ? And RP ? ?

We can't depend on pictures posted with "dates" to be accurate.

I saw Zeppelin in late August of 1971. I do not remember Jimmy having a beard, and I know for a fact that Robert did not.

Hey Rover,

This one is pretty easy, at least for Jimmy and Robert:

Jimmy - shaved it off between Australia performances in February 1972: he had it for the Auckland show on 2/25/72, but shaved it for the Sydney show on 2/27/72.

Robert - last pictures we saw of his beard was at the disasterous Milan, Italy show July 5, 1971. Their next show, in Montreux, Switzerland on August 7, 1971, he did not have it. So he shaved it off during that 32 day period.

Jonesy and Bonham - those are the tough ones! They grew and shaved theirs many times during the course of the band!

We can't depend on pictures posted with "dates" to be accurate.

I saw Zeppelin in late August of 1971. I do not remember Jimmy having a beard, and I know for a fact that Robert did not.

'71 Tour Japan W/Beard;

'72 Tour Japan w/O Beard;

...it is a confusing issue, particularly when Page arrived in Bombay in Oct 1 - 6th ''71 (w/Beard); Feb. 13-14 '72 w/Beard; and finally After Oct. 10, 1972 for Bombay'72 visit w/o Beard (last date of Japan Tour)

The writers had difficult time understanding and documenting this confusion...

**edited for correction of date

thanks for the help on this one. I can't the Japan scenery film to run and the link to the Live Japan boot isn't active. If I had to pick one and only one representation of the best LZ could be live, Japan 1971 is it.

....I love what Jimmy posted today, some rare beautiful footage of Japan; ...truly a reflection of his young passionate days to discover the world, I love the Japan '71 concert as well, sounds fantastic; I think Jimmy's own explanation has something to do with this...

"During the first tour of Japan, Led Zeppelin was to play two nights at Budokan. Between visits to club Byblos, Tokyo Hilton and the Budokan Hall, some good music and concerts were performed for the Japanese audience who were so respectful, quiet and attentive during the songs. This was interesting, because we could hear each other perfectly and we could explore the music in greater depth, giving us a chance of a serious musical work out. We played 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' in the medley section of 'Whole Lotta Love', the only time we ever played it in that context. It is interesting how well we played and were prepared to step up to the precipice under these quite analytical conditions."

This is Jimmypage.com... Bonzo's death isn't something very pleasant, he was obviously a great drummer and all, just it's not something us Zep fans need to be reminded of, however his birthday...

To be reminded of? If he did it for Les Paul he should do it for one of his best friends ever. The reason where he is today. So give some respect and shut the hell up.

To be reminded of? If he did it for Les Paul he should do it for one of his best friends ever. The reason where he is today. So give some respect and shut the hell up.

You're missing the point, I understand that this is the day he died, but you don't necessarily remember the day he died, just think of the good times and memories you had with him, also Bonzo wasn't necessarily Jimmy's "best friend ever"... they were friends.

You're missing the point, I understand that this is the day he died, but you don't necessarily remember the day he died, just think of the good times and memories you had with him, also Bonzo wasn't necessarily Jimmy's "best friend ever"... they were friends.

I didn't say they were best friends ever. But I'd imagine the drummer in your most famous band would be one of your best friends. I would imagine he would at least do it in the honor of him.

I didn't say they were best friends ever. But I'd imagine the drummer in your most famous band would be one of your best friends. I would imagine he would at least do it in the honor of him.

Ah, but you did "If he did it for Les Paul he should do it for one of his best friends ever." my most famous band?, you mean my "favorite band"? I'm sure he would I guess, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, as your grammer isn't very good...

Out of all ideas, he doesn't choose Bonham's death, a huge mark in Jimmy's life, the man who was 1/4 of the biggest band on Earth, along with Page?

In my opinion I think that is exactly why he didn't make it the subject of ON THIS DAY...

Let's face it....John Bonham's death was tragic and very personal to Jimmy, the band and most of all, the Bonham family.

The tragic loss of a close friend, to me is not the subject I would discuss in an online career diary.

How could you form the words on a website to give his family the dignity they deserve?

What would you say?

No, in my opinion this is extremely personal and private and better observed thus.

Again, just my opinion.

^ I do respect your opinion, but the thing is, although LP was not Jimmy's closest friend, he mentioned his death on his site?

I do appreciate your thoughts and always your comments.

Again, in my opinion I think there is a difference between LP's death and John Bonham's.

Les Paul had lived a long, full and glorious life.

John Bonham's death was extremely traumatizing for all involved, and he had his whole life essentially ahead of him.

He died in Mr. Page's home.

Where would he even begin to put that into context or words?

It is like when my Grandmother died at 98, we gathered and regaled one another with her legendary life, sad, but happy and taking comfort in all the joy she brought to us in such a full, rich and accomplished life.

When my 17 year old cousin died there were no words to express our feelings, it was a complete and utter hopeless tragedy.

Again, this is only my opinion, but I do respect Mr. Page for not discussing the passing of Mr. Bonham.

Archived