JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Very interesting review. Remember how true to the original versions they kept these songs when I saw them in NYC. As much as I like Robert Plant, I just wish he wouldn't change the Led Zeppelin songs so much. Some are done well and others are not...especially "Black Dog".

Thank you SuperDave, couldn't agree more!

Very interesting review. Remember how true to the original versions they kept these songs when I saw them in NYC. As much as I like Robert Plant, I just wish he wouldn't change the Led Zeppelin songs so much. Some are done well and others are not...especially "Black Dog".

Just imagine the response here if he stuck to how they sounded when Zep originally recorded them or how they performed them live. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. By the way, that's not directed at you or anyone in particular other than the Plant bashing populace. For whatever's it's worth, I'm not always fond of his rearrangements either but I do admire him for trying. There's already enough bands out there that basically recreate the sound of their studio records in a live setting. Who in the fuck wants to pay good money to hear that? That's a rhetorical question in case you were wondering....

Love this live version of this song. Much better than the studio version, which sounds a bit dated. Anyone know where I can find it? Is it on any Yardbirds release or compilation? Please PM me! Thanks.

Edited by SuperDave

Today's entry has a soundclip of the reformed Yardbirds lineup, from 2006. :rolleyes:

Really? That was the "newer" Yardbirds? They sound pretty good!

"Happenings...." is one of my favorite Yardbirds songs & like Super Dave I also wanted to know where I could find it, as I thought it was better than the live version on Cumular Limit.

Really? That was the "newer" Yardbirds? They sound pretty good!

"Happenings...." is one of my favorite Yardbirds songs & like Super Dave I also wanted to know where I could find it, as I thought it was better than the live version on Cumular Limit.

It sounded very close to the orginal to me. It is one that I love too.

Love this live version of this song. Much better than the studio version, which sounds a bit dated. Anyone know where I can find it? Is it on any Yardbirds release or compilation? Please PM me! Thanks.

....SD, I have this CD, purchased at the concert I saw couple years ago...on the request of Yardbirds, fans met the YB, and they all signed my this particular CD...

Live at B.B. King Blues Club [Live]

http://www.amazon.co...b/dp/B000PTYQ8S

Edited by PlanetPage

The studio version has Jonesy on bass...at least that is what the little guide says that came with the cd. :shifty: Does anyone know for sure?

....SD, I have this CD, purchased at the concert I saw couple years ago...on the request of Yardbirds, fans met the YB, and they all signed my this particular CD...

Live at B.B. King Blues Club [Live]

http://www.amazon.co...b/dp/B000PTYQ8S

Thanks PlanetPage for posting the cd info- that's really cool that you got to meet them!

After browsing through some of the other tracks on this cd, I like what I hear & will have to go check them out at BB's the next time they come around (which they usually seem to do when they're in NYC).

Anybody notice the similarity between the Yardbirds "Happenings" and Hendrix's "House Burning Down"?

The music and drum beat during the verse is very, very similar.

Actually, Hendrix admitted to Jeff Beck that the song was very influential upon him. Hendrix had assumed that Beck wrote the song, because the writing credit on the record just said "Yardbirds". But the truth was that Beck had very little to do with writing it (all he did was overdub the guitar solo). If Hendrix had known the truth he might have given some credit to Jimmy instead of Jeff. Oh well.