JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Anyone has that Depeche Mode clip he's talking about? I'd like to hear them diss Page and Harper...

I now hold DM in contempt, without even hearing said clip :)

Kudos to Jimmy & Roy, that's an arduous hike up Scafell, innit? 10 miles the web sites say, taking 7 to 10 hours.

.....AEN27 thanks again, you are always so kind and helpful and fans all of you are great contributors, thank you, it's great to celebrate the thoughts of our Legendary Musician together;

MSG....thanks ever so much, It will be great to have those direct contacts from you, you know how hard it is to get through!!! ...I will p.m. you, it's great idea,as I still stay in touch over further lost photos from Slip Disc and that one single mystery photo floating around the internet, and some other related inquiries from JS Editors ;

MSG I love what you wrote about Jimmy/Jackie....He is so sensitive looking.....I think Jackie looks beautiful even today, ...

tks for that link, she seems to be happy and still singing (I wish so much for the obvious!!!)....Jimmy and Jackie have such perfect chemistry, much like Robert and his leading ladies....

...Superdave thanks, and I will pm ...new computer it will be from now on......

using alternative for now...

You're welcome, PlanetPage. Now that you have your email back, I will forward what I have here (including photos) to you.

I agree that Jackie still looks beautiful today. I think she and Jimmy had a very special chemistry.

After seeing the OGWS video posted above and the more recent video of Jimmy and Roy, I sense a great chemistry between the two of them as well.

MSG... That makes me feel so honored. You and your friends know so much about the real Jimmy. I love being able to help.

MSG & PlanetPage ....I also think Jimmy and Jackie had a perfect chemistry.

Thanks, aen...I think (the real) Jimmy is the proverbial riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma and we can only know those facets of himself that he chooses to reveal to us. I like that he does very little to dispel the mystique that surrounds him. ;)

You're welcome, PlanetPage. Now that you have your email back, I will forward what I have here (including photos) to you.

I agree that Jackie still looks beautiful today. I think she and Jimmy had a very special chemistry.

After seeing the OGWS video posted above and the more recent video of Jimmy and Roy, I sense a great chemistry between the two of them as well.

Thanks, aen...I think (the real) Jimmy is the proverbial riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma and we can only know those facets of himself that he chooses to reveal to us. I like that he does very little to dispel the mystique that surrounds him. ;)

I like he does it too.

MSG - Thank you!!!

AEN27, you are great, I am trying to figure out paint settings...nearly there...

and as for Jimmy and his various collaborations, it would be a dream come true if all of them came together for a charity function, Roy, Jackie, Donovan, Jimmy....the all star show...

I hope JImmy will meet all of them at once on stage...

i love that the denton show appearance was added today, and pleased to see that jimmy saw it as a positive experience.

he calls denton very smart, and that he sure is. the stairway thing was his idea ....... how good are all the different versions! i think i like the beatnix one the best.

one thing i didn't like, and have always thought, that the musical challenge at the end of the show was rigged, in that they knew prior to jimmy pulling out the piece of paper from the barrel ( probably ALL songs in the barrel were the same ), that they were to do " sun arise ".

i love the version of " black dog " with the didgeridoos.

denton is one of the best interviewers out there, and is highly respected here in oz. the last tv show he had here was called " enough rope " ( as in, give em enough rope and they'll hang themselves .. ) and i emailed him a while back to suggest that he got page and/or plant back again for another interview, but it didn't happen. would have been interesting to see them together again!

11/18/11

111811.jpg

Additional Details....

...The Mod Wedding held at the Michigan State Fairgrounds, in November 1966. (Photos/Text Link)

From Yardbirds by John Platt, Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty:

"From time to time, they would also perform the Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for My Man" -- an odd choice, considering that the Velvets' music was concerned with the sleazy side of the New York demi-monde, a long way from the Yardbirds' sunny Californian preferences. They had, however, played with the Velvets the previous November. It was, recalls Jim, a bizarre occasion: "It was at a state fair in Detroit at the end of the Dick Clark tour. The highlight of the thing was a 'mod wedding' with the bride being given away by Andy Warhol. The Velvet Underground played 'Here Comes the Bride', and the happy couple appeared out of a huge cardboard cake. I think they won a three-day trip to New York."

http://akson.sgh.waw...&p=27052#p26997

Additional Details....

...The Mod Wedding held at the Michigan State Fairgrounds, in November 1966. (Photos/Text Link)

From Yardbirds by John Platt, Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty:

"From time to time, they would also perform the Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for My Man" -- an odd choice, considering that the Velvets' music was concerned with the sleazy side of the New York demi-monde, a long way from the Yardbirds' sunny Californian preferences. They had, however, played with the Velvets the previous November. It was, recalls Jim, a bizarre occasion: "It was at a state fair in Detroit at the end of the Dick Clark tour. The highlight of the thing was a 'mod wedding' with the bride being given away by Andy Warhol. The Velvet Underground played 'Here Comes the Bride', and the happy couple appeared out of a huge cardboard cake. I think they won a three-day trip to New York."

http://akson.sgh.waw...&p=27052#p26997

I'm so glad that Jimmy chose this entry for the November 18 OTD. I love the Velvets and I've always been fascinated by what Jimmy calls "the sleazy side of the New York demi-monde" (great description).

http://forums.ledzep...post__p__537993

Michigan State Fair Coliseum, Detroit, November 20, 1966: As part of "the world's first mod wedding happening," the Velvet Underground, according to a piece that runs in the local underground paper The Fifth Estate just prior to the shows, "play the traditional wedding songs which will be sung by Nico. Superstar Gerard Malanga will then dance as the Velvet Underground improvises a 'happening' comprised of instrumental sound effects and psychedelic music." The article also indicates that at least part of the event might have been captured on celluloid, as Warhol "will bring his movie camera to Detroit to film the wedding. The newlywed mod couple will also receive a screen test for Underground Movies from Warhol during their honeymoon trip to New York City." Warhol himself gives away the bride, after which he sits on a box of tomato soup autographing cans.

11/16/11

111611.jpg

"I was down at Jimmy’s place in Windsor and I’d got naked for Sundays. I’d got my girl with me, you know, we were enjoying it. Then suddenly I’m getting bitten by gnats, as we were by the water. I didn’t think much of it, so we got dressed and everything. Two days later, Jimmy and I are doing TV up in the Lakes, for Whistle Test. By then, I’d come up in eggs all over my arms and legs. It was my first allergic reaction to some pathogen I hadn’t come across before. So at lunchtime, I went into Jimmy’s room. The previous night, we’d been pissing around with the TV crew. We had some white snuff, which they thought was cocaine. It was comical. So when I went into Jimmy’s room on the day of the shoot, I showed him these eggs and he said “Ah, I’ve got something for that”, and he gave me some antihistamines. We were due to film a couple of hours later, but just as we get up there, I decided to drink a can of Holsten. But it reacted with the antihistamine and I couldn’t play.

I realized really quickly what was happening, so asked my girlfriend to run down to the stream with an empty water bottle and fill it up for me, so I could wash it all out of my system. But it didn’t wash out in time, so the TV people, of course, thought that Jimmy and I were both completely stoned. That we were being rock’n’roll crazies and were totally out of it. And they decided they weren’t going to have anything to do with us. It was a virtual write-off. I tried to say tell producer Trevor Dann that we should give it an hour, because then I’d be able to play again. It was just the antihistamines, but they didn’t believe us. They told Jimmy and I they had a dinner party to go to in London. And the dinner party won. But it was a terrible thing, a real catalogue of errors. Talk about bad luck. It’s a strange memory, but a really good memory."

-- Roy Harper

Anyone seen this on the Facebook page of JP's website?

One of the On This Day entries for next week will be in 3D for a little extra eye-popping fun, so make sure you grab yourself a cheap pair of anaglyph 3D glasses (the red and blue ones) over the weekend!

Yardbirds @Michigan State Fairgrounds is so far my fav "on this day" posting. I know a couple people who were at one of the two consecutive shows there. The State Fairground Coliseum still stands, but the MI State Fair ended for good in 2009.

Otto in Detroit

Anyone seen this on the Facebook page of JP's website?

One of the On This Day entries for next week will be in 3D for a little extra eye-popping fun, so make sure you grab yourself a cheap pair of anaglyph 3D glasses (the red and blue ones) over the weekend!

It's says all next week. :D

Archived