JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

the one that msg just posted is perfect.

the other one is just tasteless, imho. even if the bonzo rune was the one left out ..... that's kinda like he had been erased or something. just WRONG.

i wish the clowns running that site would pick their game up. i don't believe jimmy has much input at all. he would never have allowed that first one to be posted!

Without a doubt! Would like to know who is running the site and responsible for all those ridiculous "brain farts"

...or perhaps I don't want to know?!

Oh man.

Prompted to write my first post because of the pitiful attempts to run a website by people who obviously couldn't find their ar*e with both hands. (am I allowed to swear here?)

I find it unbelievable that the guys running Jimmy's site obviously just don't give a toss when there are so many people out there for whom this is really quite a big deal.

Surely by now they must have had enough exasperated emails to think 'maybe we ought to cross reference this before we post it, rather than having to make ourselves look stupid and have to continually throw in corrections during the day?'.

Are they sat there thinking to themselves 'We keep f**king this up. It's a shame that there's nowhere out there on the internet where there's a bunch of people who might know all this stuff, who we might be able to ask'.

Really, really dumb.

Oh man.

Prompted to write my first post because of the pitiful attempts to run a website by people who obviously couldn't find their ar*e with both hands. (am I allowed to swear here?)

I find it unbelievable that the guys running Jimmy's site obviously just don't give a toss when there are so many people out there for whom this is really quite a big deal.

Surely by now they must have had enough exasperated emails to think 'maybe we ought to cross reference this before we post it, rather than having to make ourselves look stupid and have to continually throw in corrections during the day?'.

Are they sat there thinking to themselves 'We keep f**king this up. It's a shame that there's nowhere out there on the internet where there's a bunch of people who might know all this stuff, who we might be able to ask'.

Really, really dumb.

Very warm welcome to the forum, a wonderful addition whose talking the complete truth!

Very warm welcome to the forum, a wonderful addition whose talking the complete truth!

'Ta.

I think the thing that bugs me (and no doubt others too) the most is that they are being paid to do this....... by Jimmy.

Seriously. WTF???!!

Augh, the CP project made it to this feature. The worst song on the CD (and of Jimmy's career, for me) is there.

Well, at least the demo is a better listen than the finished track. That intro squaky guitar is so awful. The lyrics are insulting, the "whoa whoa" vocal break sounds like KISS, the guitar ideas are juvenile (weird, as its Page).

He should have featured Saccharine, way, way better song.

Augh, the CP project made it to this feature. The worst song on the CD (and of Jimmy's career, for me) is there.

Well, at least the demo is a better listen than the finished track. That intro squaky guitar is so awful. The lyrics are insulting, the "whoa whoa" vocal break sounds like KISS, the guitar ideas are juvenile (weird, as its Page).

He should have featured Saccharine, way, way better song.

Not one of my favorites either. A lot of the reason I didn't like it much. I too wished Saccharine had been included.

The worst song on the CD (and of Jimmy's career, for me) is there.

It was written during their second day of collaboration and considered by both at the time to be a great opener for their live show. Ultimately, it was performed live at each of their seven Japanese performances but always during the encore.

12/9/11

12911.jpg

On this day… 09 Dec 1964

I visited the Brill Building in New York

I arrived in New York today in 1964, in transit to Los Angeles as a guest of Bert Berns and his wife Ilene. It was my first time in the US. Bert was a legendary R&B producer and songwriter for Atlantic Records who was responsible for countless hits including The Isley Brothers' Twist & Shout, Irma Franklin's Piece of My Heart and Solomon Burke’s Everybody Needs Somebody. During my stay Bert took me to the legendary Brill Building and Atlantic Records where I met Jerry Wexler, Nesuhi Ertegun and Tom Dowd. When people visit America, the very first port of entry always has a lasting effect on them. It certainly did for me, feeling the energy of New York and being introduced to these musical icons.

I had first met Bert when he came over to England. Atlantic Records were being distributed by Decca in the UK at the time. It was a pretty unique situation to have a producer come over from the States to work with in-house artists. One of the sessions that Bert did in London was Here Comes the Night with Lulu, which he was also to produce with them. Lulu’s version was recorded in Decca Studios in Broadhurst Gardens, West Hampstead. She sings a really credible version, which is worth hearing. I played guitar on this and also did some guitar overdubs on it.

AUDIO: Here Comes the Night (Lulu)

12/9/11

12911.jpg

On this day… 09 Dec 1964

I arrived in New York today in 1964, in transit to Los Angeles as a guest of Bert Berns and his wife Ilene. It was my first time in the US. Bert was a legendary R&B producer and songwriter for Atlantic Records who was responsible for countless hits including The Isley Brothers' Twist & Shout, Irma Franklin's Piece of My Heart and Solomon Burke’s Everybody Needs Somebody. During my stay Bert took me to the legendary Brill Building and Atlantic Records where I met Jerry Wexler, Nesuhi Ertegun and Tom Dowd. When people visit America, the very first port of entry always has a lasting effect on them. It certainly did for me, feeling the energy of New York and being introduced to these musical icons.

I had first met Bert when he came over to England. Atlantic Records were being distributed by Decca in the UK at the time. It was a pretty unique situation to have a producer come over from the States to work with in-house artists. One of the sessions that Bert did in London was Here Comes the Night with Lulu, which he was also to produce with them. Lulu’s version was recorded in Decca Studios in Broadhurst Gardens, West Hampstead. She sings a really credible version, which is worth hearing. I played guitar on this and also did some guitar overdubs on it.

AUDIO: Here Comes the Night (Lulu)

• bg091264.jpg

....here is interesting write-up on Brill Building.........

"The sixties produced some of the greatest music in American pop history and no residence was more popular than a Building in New York City known as The Brill Building. It was regarded as the most prestigious address in New York for music professionals.

The Brill Building has its musical before WW II with music song writing and publishing. Brill Building songs were constantly being played on the air and never failed to make the Hit Parade.

By 1962, The Brill Building contained 165 music businesses. A musician could find a publisher and printer, cut a demo, promote the record and cut a deal for a radio promotion all in one building.

Some of the best music written and recorded came from the Brill Building. Most notable song writers were the married teen couple Carole King/Gerry Goffin, Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, Neil Sedaka, Gene Pitney, Neil Diamond, Mike Stoller/Jerry Leiber, husband and wife team Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Paul Simon, Phil Spector and many more."

http://the60sofficialsite.com/The_Brill_Building.html

...interesting to know Page was in Transit, with Jackie Deshannon? She was in U.K. in November as posted in previous JPTD archive previously.

....The lasting effect...as shared by many artists in this link above..

First memories, very true.......

12/9/11

12911.jpg

On this day… 09 Dec 1964

bg091264.jpg

Aen, thanks for capturing the photos, text, and video tonight. This OTD is especially interesting to me - partly because Jimmy shares some of his early memories of his first trip to the U.S. and partly because I love the "Brill Building Sound" - some wonderful music, some of my favorite music, came out of the musicians and writers who were affiliated with that magnificent building during that era. Jimmy's photos are wonderful to see although they don't do justice to the incredible beauty - inside and out - of that historic building.

...interesting to know Page was in Transit, with Jackie Deshannon? She was in U.K. in November as posted in previous JPTD archive previously.

....The lasting effect...as shared by many artists in this link above..

First memories, very true.......

PlanetPage, I naturally thought of Jackie DeShannon too as she was also affiliated with the Brill Building during that era. I think Jimmy is too much of a gentleman and has too much respect for Jackie to mention her name in anything other than a professional capacity.

HammersmitFirm.jpg
I will never forget recording this off the radio(It was a Westwood One Superstars Concert Series broadcast)not too liong after this concert happened. That was the first time I ever heard The Firm performing live, and I was hooked afterwards..

Aen, thanks for capturing the photos, text, and video tonight. This OTD is especially interesting to me - partly because Jimmy shares some of his early memories of his first trip to the U.S. and partly because I love the "Brill Building Sound" - some wonderful music, some of my favorite music, came out of the musicians and writers who were affiliated with that magnificent building during that era. Jimmy's photos are wonderful to see although they don't do justice to the incredible beauty - inside and out - of that historic building.

PlanetPage, I naturally thought of Jackie DeShannon too as she was also affiliated with the Brill Building during that era. I think Jimmy is too much of a gentleman and has too much respect for Jackie to mention her name in anything other than a professional capacity.

I found this OTD to be very interesting too, MSG. I did not know anything about the Brill Building before tonight. I loved reading his memories of his first trip to the States. I had actually wondered before when it was. It is very interesting about Jackie. I am happy to learn that. Perhaps he didn't think of it or as you almost said, she is a very special memory to him. :D

I found this OTD to be very interesting too, MSG. I did not know anything about the Brill Building before tonight. I loved reading his memories of his first trip to the States. I had actually wondered before when it was. It is very interesting about Jackie. I am happy to learn that. Perhaps he didn't think of it or as you almost said, she is a very special memory to him. :D

...MSG and AEN, I was thinking in the musical collaboration sense (didn't occur to me otherwise)...and MSG, Now that you mention it, I too think that it is in pure class taste for Jimmy to mention this archive as he did....

The building is magnificient MSG, totally the opposite of the very first, first old wooden apartment building that I arrived in, the dark interior still flashes once in a while, particularly when I visit that Era here at the Official Site...

I will never forget recording this off the radio(It was a Westwood One Superstars Concert Series broadcast)not too liong after this concert happened. That was the first time I ever heard The Firm performing live, and I was hooked afterwards..

...this is a great memory luvlz2...truly an exception in the 80's...I was not able to do this; I hope you still have your recording,,,,,,,,,,

Archived