JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

12/15/11

121511.jpg

Well, while it's not the type of JP music history post that most interests me, I think this OTD is a nod to a group of performers whose shows, enthusiasm, and energy (they are vibrant) Jimmy has enjoyed. He makes special note of Elizabeth Sun (referring to her in the familiar, Liz). I can imagine that this troupe appeals to Jimmy's creative and artistic sides. Jimmy has a delightful family - maybe he brought his children with him to the Gogol Bordello show.

Well, while it's not the type of JP music history post that most interests me, I think this OTD is a nod to a group of performers whose shows, enthusiasm, and energy (they are vibrant) Jimmy has enjoyed. He makes special note of Elizabeth Sun (referring to her in the familiar, Liz). I can imagine that this troupe appeals to Jimmy's creative and artistic sides. Jimmy has a delightful family - maybe he brought his children with him to the Gogol Bordello show.

...Hello MSG, this entry made me think a little, and you are right, Jimmy has very creative and artistic side....He has embraced so many artists from various backgrounds....I do think that Jimmy is truly young at heart...I wish he would represent himself with these young new vibrant artists...diminshing the line of irrelevancy....

...Hello MSG, this entry made me think a little, and you are right, Jimmy has very creative and artistic side....He has embraced so many artists from various backgrounds....I do think that Jimmy is truly young at heart...I wish he would represent himself with these young new vibrant artists...diminshing the line of irrelevancy....

Hello PlanetPage, I'm glad Jimmy's entry made you think a little. :) You're right about the fact that he has embraced many artists (musical and otherwise) from all sorts of backgrounds, all sorts of genres. As to whether he will choose to collaborate with any of them at this stage, your guess is as good as mine.

In so many of the recent photos I've seen of Jimmy with his friends and family he really does seem to be young at heart: his smile looks to be genuine...it lights up his entire face - even his eyes sparkle.

Jimmy Page's "On This Day" is about what he did that day or enjoyed doing that day & not about the expectations of certain fans. Everyday I see those same fans who claim they want insight into the man himself pretty much rip into On This Day if it's not Zeppelin related or done to their standards. They expect some sort of Holy Grail in an unheard Zeppelin recording, unseen Zeppelin footage, etc, rather than him attending a show he liked for a band he is obviously endorsing, a function he attended, or a session he did for some obscure 60's artist. It's just constant nitpicking & I love it when there's nothing posted on Jimmy Page's "On This Day" because it turns into a feeding frenzy on this thread & I hope that's Jimmy's way of having fun with the nitpickers. Advice: appreciate what you get from the man rather than pining away for something that is not yours, namely his memories that he is now gracious enough to share with us.

Jimmy Page's "On This Day" is about what he did that day or enjoyed doing that day & not about the expectations of certain fans. Everyday I see those same fans who claim they want insight into the man himself pretty much rip into On This Day if it's not Zeppelin related or done to their standards. They expect some sort of Holy Grail in an unheard Zeppelin recording, unseen Zeppelin footage, etc, rather than him attending a show he liked for a band he is obviously endorsing, a function he attended, or a session he did for some obscure 60's artist. It's just constant nitpicking & I love it when there's nothing posted on Jimmy Page's "On This Day" because it turns into a feeding frenzy on this thread & I hope that's Jimmy's way of having fun with the nitpickers. Advice: appreciate what you get from the man rather than pining away for something that is not yours, namely his memories that he is now gracious enough to share with us.

Well said. The same can be said of that Chuck Klosterman piece I recently posted. Just because it may not appear to be yet another article that fawns all over all things Zeppelin doesn't mean there's nothing deeper to it than what appears on the surface. Folks are forever clamoring for something, anything from Page and when they finally get it (i.e., the Death Wish II soundtrack on vinyl) they proceed to tear it apart limb by limb in a very unappreciative manner. That sort of thing forever baffles me.

As for Gogol Bordello, I have some friends that are huge fans of theirs that often travel great distances to see them. Personally, I've never purchased any of their music but they're certainly on my ever growing list of bands to check out (I definitely like what I've heard so far). Not so long ago I saw their frontman, Eugene Hütz, in a movie called Everything Is Illuminated. The movie itself is a bit off the beaten path but for those that are fans of that sort of thing, you may well enjoy it. I know I did.

Not so long ago I saw their frontman, Eugene Hütz, in a movie called Everything Is Illuminated. The movie itself is a bit off the beaten path but for those that are fans of that sort of thing, you may well enjoy it. I know I did.

Woah! I didn't know that guy was a musician. I really enjoyed that film when it came out; Hutz and Elijah Wood were great together.

Well said. The same can be said of that Chuck Klosterman piece I recently posted. Just because it may not appear to be yet another article that fawns all over all things Zeppelin doesn't mean there's nothing deeper to it than what appears on the surface. Folks are forever clamoring for something, anything from Page and when they finally get it (i.e., the Death Wish II soundtrack on vinyl) they proceed to tear it apart limb by limb in a very unappreciative manner. That sort of thing forever baffles me.

As for Gogol Bordello, I have some friends that are huge fans of theirs that often travel great distances to see them. Personally, I've never purchased any of their music but they're certainly on my ever growing list of bands to check out (I certainly like what I've heard so far). Not so long ago I saw their frontman, Eugene Hütz, in a movie called Everything Is Illuminated. The movie itself is a bit off the beaten path but for those that are fans of that sort of thing, you may well enjoy it. I know I did.

Was that the Chuck Klosterman article about "In The Evening"? I enjoyed that article because, as you said in that thread, it was done tongue in cheek & obviously some people couldn't grasp that fact. I just find it strange as well with certain crtiticisms from a segment of fans here that they will be the first to damn Rolling Stone for life over a reviews that they published 30-40 years ago (& have done nothing but praise Zeppelin from the late 80's to this day) yet their own criticisms against whatever doesn't meet their own expectations in regards to the band or what the band members are doing (or more specifically not doing) are far harsher. If it doesn't meet their idealized view of perfection then it's the other extreme of whatever is being done or not done then being labeled a pile of crap. Doesn't anyone just enjoy things for what they are anymore lol?

As far as Gogol Bordello, I'll check out that movie courtesy of you & I'll check out the band itself courtesy of Page as if it weren't for Page & his endoresements over the years I may never have listened to Gene Vincent, Howlin' Wolf, & the Damned just to name a few.

Woah! I didn't know that guy was a musician. I really enjoyed that film when it came out; Hutz and Elijah Wood were great together.

I thought so too. Great movie.

Was that the Chuck Klosterman article about "In The Evening"? I enjoyed that article because, as you said in that thread, it was done tongue in cheek & obviously some people couldn't grasp that fact. I just find it strange as well with certain crtiticisms from a segment of fans here that they will be the first to damn Rolling Stone for life over a reviews that they published 30-40 years ago (& have done nothing but praise Zeppelin from the late 80's to this day) yet their own criticisms against whatever doesn't meet their own expectations in regards to the band or what the band members are doing (or more specifically not doing) are far harsher. If it doesn't meet their idealized view of perfection then it's the other extreme of whatever is being done or not done then being labeled a pile of crap. Doesn't anyone just enjoy things for what they are anymore lol?

Agreed once again and yes, it was the article about "In the Evening". If I'm not mistaken, some others (I believe Strider included) have also posted some pieces written by Klosterman to help further illustrate the point that not only is the guy a huge proponent of rock n' roll but he's a big fan of Led Zeppelin as well.

As far as Gogol Bordello, I'll check out that movie courtesy of you & I'll check out the band itself courtesy of Page as if it weren't for Page & his endoresements over the years I may never have listened to Gene Vincent, Howlin' Wolf, & the Damned just to name a few.

I think you'll really enjoy the movie. As for Zeppelin (as well as the individual members) helping to turn me onto other music, it was their blues, rockabilly and world music influences that lead me to further investigate Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elvis Presley, Roy Harper, Roy Wood, Diamanda Galás, Tinariwen and tons of others.

Thanks for the movie clip Jahfin. Looks like a good one. Is it? I like the part where Elijah Wood's character states that he is a vegetarian and they ask him if he eats chicken, pork etc. and one of the European characters (I think they're Italian) says, "What is wrong with you?" Loved this bit!

Thanks Stairway. Nice OTD and love this version. Too bad JP didn't include the full version from the rehearsal as it seemed cut off. It seems JP is including more gems like this. Especially. over the last week or so. Love it! Finally, the fans are getting they're say. Just need someone with expertise on the subject (being Jimmy Page...to run the site and know what they're doing). Many qualified people on the Zep site to do so. Don't think I need to mention names as it's far too many! You know who you are! :thumbsup:

Rocking version of TKR! Thanks for posting it!

I dont know the exact history of all that happened on Outrider (The break in, stolen master tapes ect.) but does anyone know if that was the main reason this didnt appear on the album?

Either way thanks to Jimmy for sharing this as well. Could be a killer opening for his next Solo album "hint, hint" ;)

Rocking version of TKR! Thanks for posting it! I dont know the exact history of all that happened on Outrider (The break in, stolen master tapes ect.) but does anyone know if that was the main reason this didnt appear on the album?

So far as I know Outrider was always meant to be an album of all original new material. Though TKoR was recorded it seems to me it was just an invigorating warm up for that first day in the studio.

Thanks Stairway. Nice OTD and love this version. Too bad JP didn't include the full version from the rehearsal as it seemed cut off. It seems JP is including more gems like this. Especially. over the last week or so. Love it! Finally, the fans are getting they're say. Just need someone with expertise on the subject (being Jimmy Page...to run the site and know what they're doing). Many qualified people on the Zep site to do so. Don't think I need to mention names as it's far too many! You know who you are! :thumbsup:

Thanks Stairway. I'd love to be able to save it. I loved it too. :D

Jimmy doesn't say that is Veruschka in the ad with David Hemmings.

.....tks aen27,

.....here is an interesting interview, I read before with the famed Film Director...I can only say, I wish Jimmy would have involved himself in Film, compositions, etc. more over the years...we will always keep on wishing...I love Deatwish, Lucifer, and this too...........

Interview with Michelangelo Antonioni

Roger Ebert / June 19, 1969

http://rogerebert.su...EOPLE/906190301

Archived