JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

AEN27 Thanks for all of the lovely Photos that you always manage to post.........

Today`s collection, I have seen some of the photos in the recent few films, ...I love Jimmy`s passport photos too...I truly feel like I am on a journey with him as he takes us through the world over......there is so much more to Jimmy Page, so glad he is healthy and happy to share with us all of these wonderful moments that personally belong to him...

another beautiful photo from Goa (I have some in our collection from Baga Beach, Goa, but I don`t know how to scan yet)

http://paolematdusk.jpg

You're welcome, PlanetPage. This photo of the beach is also lovely. :D

Am I correct in understanding those are Lord Page's own photos of Goa posted on his site? They are lovely, full of character.

Side note: I'm a bit puzzled that in the '69 record review he didn't recognize Fairport Convention. I would've thought they'd be right up his Pentangle-lovin' street, but he was a very busy man and there was so much great music around.

I am pretty sure these must be his photos as they all say "Jimmy Page Archive 2005" at the bottom. I thought they were so much fun. I know that Jimmy has always loved taking pictures/filming.

I was also surprised he didn't recognize, but in ZigZag where he is on the cover from RAH, he said it was the best album of 1969, which is the reason I bought it. I knew it must be good if Jimmy liked it and it is beautiful.

Thank you so much for all this information MSG and PlanetPage. He continues about Goa tonight. I can see him there too. This such a coindence that a friend and girl I work with is on her way to India right now. :D

12/29/11

1229114.jpg

1229115.jpg

1229116.jpg

You're welcome...and thank you, AEN. I'm so glad to see that Jimmy has continued with more about his trip to Goa. It's nice to see a copy of his visa in addition to his entry stamp from earlier in the week. Your friend and co-worker is so fortunate to be on her way to India now. :)

...MSG Thank you for your wonderful comments always so very informative and just beautiful...

...Jimmy's words are poetry in motion as always, full of grace and charm, just like him...perfect chemistry between his imagery and his thinking;

MSG, I must admit I can't help but wish that John Bonham was still with us,.... John Paul Jones, Robert and Jimmy sharing so much with us (and I am so very thankful they still Grace this period of our lives), very culturally inclined Musicians, I wish to see this aspect of him as well - ... there was so much more that we just didn't know - He was truly gifted musician....

.... and MSG I couldn't find the Bell Tower of the Temple, the exact Tower Location where Jimmy says he greeted the Christmas Morning...

Thank you for your gracious comment, PlanetPage. I have to admit that I really do enjoy Jimmy's photos and comments about these places he has visited...they are very special places to me and it seems that they hold precious memories for Jimmy too. You're right about the perfect chemistry between his ideas/thoughts about these places and the words and images that he produces...to me, that's a characteristic of an artist...that he's able to bring these places and his impressions of them alive for us. I think all of us whose lives he touched in one way or another feel the same about John Bonham.

I have photos of the Bell Tower as well as close-ups of the carved images of Shiva, etc. from Angkor Wat - I can email them to you...I didn't want to clog up the thread for Jimmy's OTD with my own photos.

MSG; - Absolutlely I can imagine this...... (lots of practice from the 70's - "Jimmy Fantasy Land") ;)

...Jimmy is arriving from Far East Cambodia to India/Goa, in this direction he will encounter Banglore First, then Bombay, so forth to West/Home;.

I will look into this Photo through some contacts who have business in Goa/Hotels;

MSG as for if Jimmy has been in Goa before, I cannot confirm this, perhaps SAJ might know more accurate details...while they visited Bombay '72, I have never heard that any of the musicians from Bombay went with them to Goa;

I do wonder what writer Stephen Davis has written that Jimmy travelled before '67 (in Hammer of Gods) to India and that he returned when he was ill;

second, Jimmy's personally confirmed visit to Bombay/Santa Cruz Airport after the Australian Yardbirds Tour'67 (their last) - here he might have gone to Goa (but nothing is ever know, except that he mentioned earlier in this archive that "he had been to India"...(although it appears he stayed in Bombay for Sitar Lessons);

On this note, I do recall Pete Townsend visiting Goa (I have seen his photo long while ago) during the Popular days of "His Generation" who loved Goa so much....

Thank you so much for all of the great info about Goa. I was too young to have traveled there in the early part of the 70's but I remember reading about all of the musicians and artists and counterculture types who visited. I have an old article about Pete Townsend's visit there during those years and I remember how he said he was very surprised that he had so many fans in India who recognized him and knew his name. He also said that one of the Indians was so polite - he knew the formal name for Pete and so addressed him as "Mr. Peter Townsend."

Of course, I am curious to know if Jimmy ever made the journey from Bombay to Goa during his 1972 visit to India - another mystery for us.

Were the renovations extensive? My brother & I stayed at one of the cottages (close to the pool) in the early 90's and it was similarly spartan to the look of the '68 photo with Jeff Beck posted here. The desk clerk was kind enough to show me into penthouse suite 29 where Jim Morrison often stayed. Not to be morbid, but I've never been clear on where John Belushi died - was it one of the high bungalows, far away from the rest of the property?

The renovations/upgrades were not what I would consider extensive...in other words it wasn't turned into a generic Holiday Inn or Marriott type of hotel...the place still has character with many of the original furnishings (although I think the "shabby chic" as well of some of the characters who used to work there are long gone). I think the changes started to happen after Belushi's death (he died in the bungalow near the back gate) and continued after the new owners turned it into a "boutique" hotel.

AEN27 Thanks for all of the lovely Photos that you always manage to post.........

Today`s collection, I have seen some of the photos in the recent few films, ...I love Jimmy`s passport photos too...I truly feel like I am on a journey with him as he takes us through the world over......there is so much more to Jimmy Page, so glad he is healthy and happy to share with us all of these wonderful moments that personally belong to him...

another beautiful photo from Goa (I have some in our collection from Baga Beach, Goa, but I don`t know how to scan yet)

http://paolematdusk.jpg

What a beautiful photo, PlanetPage! It would be so nice to see more of your photos of Goa.

You're welcome, PlanetPage. This photo of the beach is also lovely. :D

I am pretty sure these must be his photos as they all say "Jimmy Page Archive 2005" at the bottom. I thought they were so much fun. I know that Jimmy has always loved taking pictures/filming.

I would love to see Jimmy put together a book of his travel photos along with information about and impressions of his journeys.

Thank you for your gracious comment, PlanetPage. I have to admit that I really do enjoy Jimmy's photos and comments about these places he has visited...they are very special places to me and it seems that they hold precious memories for Jimmy too. You're right about the perfect chemistry between his ideas/thoughts about these places and the words and images that he produces...to me, that's a characteristic of an artist...that he's able to bring these places and his impressions of them alive for us. I think all of us whose lives he touched in one way or another feel the same about John Bonham.

I have photos of the Bell Tower as well as close-ups of the carved images of Shiva, etc. from Angkor Wat - I can email them to you...I didn't want to clog up the thread for Jimmy's OTD with my own photos.

Thank you so much for all of the great info about Goa. I was too young to have traveled there in the early part of the 70's but I remember reading about all of the musicians and artists and counterculture types who visited. I have an old article about Pete Townsend's visit there during those years and I remember how he said he was very surprised that he had so many fans in India who recognized him and knew his name. He also said that one of the Indians was so polite - he knew the formal name for Pete and so addressed him as "Mr. Peter Townsend."

Of course, I am curious to know if Jimmy ever made the journey from Bombay to Goa during his 1972 visit to India - another mystery for us.

..MSG Legendary Jimmy Page is Truly Truly Special Artist - It just goes back to what he said when he gave interview at his Official Site - He wanted to bring many aspects of himself....so very beautifully presented, every detail........

...about that Bell Tower Photo, please do email me, I would love to see...I just thought that since Jimmy described himself in the Bell Tower on Christmas Morning, it would be interesting to see just precisely where he was...the Temple Complex is so large.....I could only locate the all three towers...

...About Pete Townsend, I have an link to his Radio Archive interview re. Bombay - let me look into it, and if any exist, I will post it the Who Section...(will have to look for it)

....You know, his '67 trip to the east is very interesting...so little is known in that precise time other than his brief comments he mentioned over the decades...

12/30/11

123011.jpg

1230111.jpg

1230112.jpg

1230113.jpg

1230114.jpg

...I will add the review here from the Gonzaga Univeristy Bulletin:

42 years ago: Led Zeppelin at Gonzaga

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/news/42-years-ago-led-zeppelin-at-gonzaga-1.1346020#.Tv0is_JfldQ

...and as we all know Richard Cole has written about the most fascinating adventures in Spokane in his Legendary Piece of Work - Stairway to Heaven....

...I have listened to all the songs many times before, really love Jimmy's description "classical Symphony"...

This riff is longer than the first, included back during the launch in July. The 14th I think. Like this one, with plenty of JP signature distortion. Hopefully, 2012 will bring more and better things for JP, the site in his name and more great things for us fans. Even though, 2011 was pretty sparse.

Happy New Year to all on this great Led Zeppelin website! Enjoy it!....but be smart!

This riff is longer than the first, included back during the launch in July. The 14th I think. Like this one, with plenty of JP signature distortion. Hopefully, 2012 will bring more and better things for JP, the site in his name and more great things for us fans. Even though, 2011 was pretty sparse.

Happy New Year to all on this great Led Zeppelin website! Enjoy it!....but be smart!

Yeah you too buddy :D

The Whiskey ........

1969 Shows

January 2-5, 1969 Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper

Led Zeppelin were on their first American tour. The first night at the Whisky was only the band’s fifth show in the United States. The first album had been recorded, but not released, so while Jimmy Page was remembered from the Yardbirds, the group was completely unknown.

According to Alice Cooper, the two unknown bands flipped a coin the first night to see who would go on first. Jimmy Page does not remember that specifically, but agreed that such decisions were often decided this casually between bands.

January 6-8, 1969 Buddy Miles Express, Alice Cooper

Led Zeppelin was replaced the last few days by Buddy Miles as a number of band members got the flu.

The Whiskey Shows Source Link.........

http://www.chickenonaunicycle.com/Whisky-A-Go-Go%20History.htm

...a relevant Post from our Forum Discussion Here: Ocean87 .........

Jimmy played the solo in Dave Berrys "My baby left me". It is from 1964. Don't know if it was posted anywhere, but this is Big Jim Sullivans comment on Jimmy in sessions and the solo from "my baby left me":

"I'll always remember the first time I met Jimmy. We had a session at Decca studios for Dave Berry. It was the session for 'My Baby Left Me' and Jimmy played lead guitar and I played rhythm. I remember the great solo that he did on that session, it is one of the best constructed rock solos on record. We got on well on sessions, sometimes I would play lead and some times Jimmy. I used to do most of the country solos and he the rock ones. We would change over sometimes and I would be the rocker. We also did a lot of folk sessions together. I played a lot of accoustic12 string in those days, I had the first 12 string guitar in the session world and it was used a lot on rhythm. Jimmy was into blues and I was into jazz and country blues. The rhythm section that played on a lot of the 60's group record consisted of Jimmy, myself, John Baldwin or John Paul Jones as he liked to be called, and Bobby Graham on Drums. The amount of recordings we did together was amazing and when he said he and john were going to leave he said I should join them too. I said I was married and would stay in sessions a while longer. I did put a group of session musicians together a couple of months later. This group had another guitar player from that time his name was Alan Parker. I'll tell this story on his page. Jimmy and I still talk to each other now and again and he even came and sat in with me on a pub gig a couple of years ago. He still plays great and his influences are still being felt with the young players of today"

...Dave Berry talks about Page/Jones Session Work (I posted this earlier in the above thread, but the link here is working)

...Hoochie/Coochie Man ...

...a relevant Post from our Forum Discussion Here: Ocean87 .........

http://forums.ledzep...rk/page__st__60

Jimmy played the solo in Dave Berrys "My baby left me". It is from 1964. Don't know if it was posted anywhere, but this is Big Jim Sullivans comment on Jimmy in sessions and the solo from "my baby left me":

"I'll always remember the first time I met Jimmy. We had a session at Decca studios for Dave Berry. It was the session for 'My Baby Left Me' and Jimmy played lead guitar and I played rhythm. I remember the great solo that he did on that session, it is one of the best constructed rock solos on record. We got on well on sessions, sometimes I would play lead and some times Jimmy. I used to do most of the country solos and he the rock ones. We would change over sometimes and I would be the rocker. We also did a lot of folk sessions together. I played a lot of accoustic12 string in those days, I had the first 12 string guitar in the session world and it was used a lot on rhythm. Jimmy was into blues and I was into jazz and country blues. The rhythm section that played on a lot of the 60's group record consisted of Jimmy, myself, John Baldwin or John Paul Jones as he liked to be called, and Bobby Graham on Drums. The amount of recordings we did together was amazing and when he said he and john were going to leave he said I should join them too. I said I was married and would stay in sessions a while longer. I did put a group of session musicians together a couple of months later. This group had another guitar player from that time his name was Alan Parker. I'll tell this story on his page. Jimmy and I still talk to each other now and again and he even came and sat in with me on a pub gig a couple of years ago. He still plays great and his influences are still being felt with the young players of today"

...Dave Berry talks about Page/Jones Session Work (I posted this earlier in the above thread, but the link here is working)

...Hoochie/Coochie Man ...

Thank you so much for sharing this, PlanetPage.

Archived