JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Thank you, AEN and PlanetPage. Jimmy's photos are lovely! His photos bring back the magnificence and the spirituality...but also the ambiance - when I look at the street scenes, I can remember exactly how it smelled, how the air felt. When we were there, in a building overlooking the square in Jimmy's photos, lived a beautiful little girl who was a living goddess or a goddess reincarnated - at a certain time of day she would appear at the window of the room where she was being kept - I took a photo of her and when I look at it, I wonder what her life was like, what happened her. PlanetPage, it was interesting to read the impressions of the man who returned to Kathmandu after an absence of so many years - I often feel the same way when I return to a place for a second or third visit. Interesting that Ross calls the sadhus, "sandus."

You do refer to the Kumari......funny thing is that she actually threw a marble out of a window at a guy who was with us, although I have no clue why she did that. I managed to find Kumari's marble and still have it.

LOL! Good point. With regard to the first time they met (March 1985), according to Mason Ruffner, Jimmy and Tony Franklin walked in during his set at the Old Absynthe House and introduced himself. Mason invited Jimmy to jam that night but although he turned down the invitation he did give Mason tickets to The Firm's tour-ending concert in New Orleans (March 24, 1985). Mason said with the tour completed Jimmy jammed with him two nights in a row at the Old Absynthe House.

The Old Absinthe House, now that is a house with some history!

Haven't been there in years! It has went the way of the tourist! (sigh!)

They no longer have live music there and havent for many years.

Bryan Lee recorded a kick-ass album there but anything Bryan Lee does is pretty kick-ass!

But I digress. :)

The Old Absinthe House, now that is a house with some history!

Haven't been there in years! It has went the way of the tourist! (sigh!)

They no longer have live music there and havent for many years.

Bryan Lee recorded a kick-ass album there but anything Bryan Lee does is pretty kick-ass!

But I digress. :)

When I was in NOLA last year I was told that it never reopened after Katrina. There is the Absinthe Bar but the Old Absinthe House is no more.

Your right about that Stairway, I feel like I'm in the Headley Grange right with them.

...Truly Timeless Feelings of warmth and intimacy presented by Jimmy Today, Master of Guitar - Orchestration so supreme, it can only be Jimmy...what can be said here...it's just too heartachingly beautiful...

Thanks again PP. I've transcribed the review for the Timeline page. Also, for an interesting personal account of their day in Memphis, I recommend the story by Phillip Rauls (Atlantic Record's Regional Promotion & Marketing Director): ledzeppelin.com/lzprogrammes/lzrauls.html

...Thank you for such wonderful Forum, truly feel priviliged to spend few moments in the era of Legendary Led Zeppelin....

...Phillip Rauls story is too fascinating...I wish he had one more breakfast with them...but so fortunate he experienced more Led Zeppelin later...

Thanks for posting PlanetPage. No mention at all of a 1969 performance. Ms. McKibbon didn't happen to send a copy of the Cover (which included a picture of Page and Jones), as mentioned at the bottom of the first column, did she?

...Thanks for the details...I wondered about that cover a bit, I didn't receive it...I have sent a follow up response and should I receive any details/photo further, I will certainly post it right away in day or so soon I think...

Nice inclusion for the OTD feature on 20th February. I have so many friends who name TYG as their favorite LZ song. It's either this or ALS for me. Anyone have the specific link for TYG on Soundcloud? Would appreciate it. Not sure if I'd find the right one. Why is the sound quality (as some of you have said), so much better than the remastered studio version?

When I was in NOLA last year I was told that it never reopened after Katrina. There is the Absinthe Bar but the Old Absinthe House is no more.

Awwww... someone must have steered you wrong. :(

It is still there in the same building on Bourbon it has been in for like 200 years.

It might have closed for a little while after Katrina, but I doubt for long even then. The Quarter had some of the least damage in the area.

It is still there in the same building on Bourbon it has been in for like 200 years.

It might have closed for a little while after Katrina, but I doubt for long even then. The Quarter had some of the least damage in the area.

Thank you Bayougal. :thumbsup: They did steer me wrong...That and I really didn't go looking for it for very long. I usually stay away from Bourbon Street. Too many drunk tourists. And the smell of piss and stale beer can be a bit much.This tourist like to get drunk elsewhere in the Quarter. :burp: We are going again this year so I will have to stop by and indulge in a bit of the green fairy.

Nice inclusion for the OTD feature on 20th February. I have so many friends who name TYG as their favorite LZ song. It's either this or ALS for me. Anyone have the specific link for TYG on Soundcloud? Would appreciate it. Not sure if I'd find the right one. Why is the sound quality (as some of you have said), so much better than the remastered studio version?

If you pause it, you should be able to right-click it. The Soundcloud page it takes you to doesn't have any uploads.

Your right about that Stairway, I feel like I'm in the Headley Grange right with them.

This was one of my favorites. I remember in "It Might Get Loud" when Jimmy stood inside Headley Grange and looked out the window...I absolutely lost it in the theater. I was wondering what he was thinking when they taped it, what must have been going through his mind. For some reason it was very emotional for me...

Many thanks to those keeping the thread going for us to enjoy!!!

I thought they were one and the same? There is the bar downstairs, and there is an upstairs - what was that, an old inn? Basically there were offices and restrooms, and the stairway and hall are lined with rock star photographs (famous patrons); I was looking for Jimmy's photo but couldn't find it. His wife Patricia worked as a waitress there, didn't she? That's how they met, or so the legend goes.

I managed to get one of these Mystic East '98 tour itineraries at a record fair about a year after these shows.

It's quite interesting to see the stuff inside:

Distance between shows,

band hotels,

crew hotels,

onstage times,

promoter details,

etc.

It's also signed by Jimmy (which is a bonus).

Are you sure about that ? When I was there again in 2010 the Absinthe House was no more...it was more like an an ice cream parlour....the more touristy Absinthe bar was still in operation futher along the street...but that was not the place Zep etc used to hang out and it was certainly not the place Rob and Jimmy patronised in 1988 when I first went there.

Are you sure about that ? When I was there again in 2010 the Absinthe House was no more...it was more like an an ice cream parlour....the more touristy Absinthe bar was still in operation futher along the street...but that was not the place Zep etc used to hang out and it was certainly not the place Rob and Jimmy patronised in 1988 when I first went there.

It is in the same place as what I have known for my whole life.... And i'm not a spring chick here.

This is the original Old Absinthe House, same photo as Mr Page posted. Been there for over 200 years!

I haven't been inside in years as it is not my cup of tea...but have walked by many times, even as recently as a couple of weeks ago and it is open, I do know that they do not do live music there anymore as I keep up pretty good with the NOLA music scene.

I do know that Bryan Lee was the last permanent performer to play there and he moved on to other venues, due to the management going in a different direction well before Big K hit!

I heard Kenny Wayne Shepherd mention playing with Bryan at the Old Absinthe House during a set he did not long ago at the last New Orleans BBQ and blues Fest, but all us locals knew about that.

Bryan has said in interviews I have read that Jimmy and Robert as well as MANY other famous musicians used to come jam with him at the Old Absinthe House, many locals know this for a fact.

That's all I know about the Old Absinthe House.

All I can say is you can read the OAH website,

http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com/

Personally I think it is a shame that a place so historically rich has somehow lost its identity. And now doesn't know if it is a sports bar/tourist dive or whatever, thus it goes the way of the tourist traps.

But many things in New Orleans have fallen into this category. (sigh!) :/

Peace!

Archived