JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

It is in the same place as what I have known for my whole life.... And i'm not a spring chick here.

This is the original Old Absinthe House, same photo as Mr Page posted. Been there for over 200 years!

I haven't been inside in years as it is not my cup of tea...but have walked by many times, even as recently as a couple of weeks ago and it is open, I do know that they do not do live music there anymore as I keep up pretty good with the NOLA music scene.

I do know that Bryan Lee was the last permanent performer to play there and he moved on to other venues, due to the management going in a different direction well before Big K hit!

I heard Kenny Wayne Shepherd mention playing with Bryan at the Old Absinthe House during a set he did not long ago at the last New Orleans BBQ and blues Fest, but all us locals knew about that.

Bryan has said in interviews I have read that Jimmy and Robert as well as MANY other famous musicians used to come jam with him at the Old Absinthe House, many locals know this for a fact.

That's all I know about the Old Absinthe House.

All I can say is you can read the OAH website,

http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com/

Personally I think it is a shame that a place so historically rich has somehow lost its identity. And now doesn't know if it is a sports bar/tourist dive or whatever, thus it goes the way of the tourist traps.

But many things in New Orleans have fallen into this category. (sigh!) :/

Peace!

Thanks for the info and link....... Looks like the bar I was in after the Outrider gig in 88 is what now seems to be the Mango Mango / daquiri Brew pub I was shocked to see in 2010. ( i did not go inside in 2010) . This was the bar Mason Rufner turned up at after the1988 Outrider gig...place was packed with fans as Jimmy was also expected..but it was chaos. (Luckily, we got word jimmy was in the Hard Rock cafe and so we shot over there)

.The bar had a framed photo of Robert behind the bar with the staff as he had been in recently. So, this bar was 400 Bourbon St ? ...not the original Absinthe House at 240 ?...but I preferred this one..

So, this bar was 400 Bourbon St ? ...not the original Absinthe House at 240 ?...but I preferred this one..

It's still at 240 Bourbon according to the web site. However, after reading the web site explanation I'm even more confused.* If we ever have a Led Zeppelin Forum convention/throw-down party, we should meet at the Old Absinthe House! Hopefully it could be for a wonderful reason like a Jimmy Page tour...

*The original Old Absinthe House bar was to be destroyed at the start of Prohibition - as a powerful message to proprietors and others that Absinthe was to be abolished from the United States and would not be tolerated.

Fortunately, the bar was removed from the Absinthe House and moved under cover of darkness to a warehouse on Bourbon street in order to save it. (This warehouse became known as "The Absinthe House Bar" until the actual bar was returned to its home in early 2004. It is now known as the Mango, Mango daiquiri shop.)

The bar is again part of this historical building after a 3 million dollar renovation returning it to its turn-of-the-century splendor. It is now operated by Tony Moran, himself the son of a New Orleans legend -- "Diamond Jim" Moran.

The building now houses Tony Moran's Restaurant and Jean Lafitte Bistro .. and the front room is still the tavern known as Jean Lafitte's Old Absinthe House.

I think what Jimmy (or his ghostwriters) are trying to say is that on 30 October 1987 (shouldn't it be 1988 instead of 1987??) the Grammy nomination for "Writes of Winter" was announced, but on 22 Feb 1989 the actual ceremony was held & he didn't win. The headline for yesterday's OTD should have been something like "I Was Nominated For a Grammy for Writes Of Winter But Didn't Win"

It's still at 240 Bourbon according to the web site. However, after reading the web site explanation I'm even more confused.* If we ever have a Led Zeppelin Forum convention/throw-down party, we should meet at the Old Absinthe House! Hopefully it could be for a wonderful reason like a Jimmy Page tour...

*The original Old Absinthe House bar was to be destroyed at the start of Prohibition - as a powerful message to proprietors and others that Absinthe was to be abolished from the United States and would not be tolerated.

Fortunately, the bar was removed from the Absinthe House and moved under cover of darkness to a warehouse on Bourbon street in order to save it. (This warehouse became known as "The Absinthe House Bar" until the actual bar was returned to its home in early 2004. It is now known as the Mango, Mango daiquiri shop.)

The bar is again part of this historical building after a 3 million dollar renovation returning it to its turn-of-the-century splendor. It is now operated by Tony Moran, himself the son of a New Orleans legend -- "Diamond Jim" Moran.

The building now houses Tony Moran's Restaurant and Jean Lafitte Bistro .. and the front room is still the tavern known as Jean Lafitte's Old Absinthe House.

I will be there this summer.

Thanks for posting PlanetPage. No mention at all of a 1969 performance. Ms. McKibbon didn't happen to send a copy of the Cover (which included a picture of Page and Jones), as mentioned at the bottom of the first column, did she?

...Very Sincere thanks to Ms. McKibben for sending us the requested cover - she informs us that because the picture was do dark she did not include it originally...

http://MemphisCover.jpg

...Very Sincere thanks to Ms. McKibben for sending us the requested cover - she informs us that because the picture was do dark she did not include it originally...

http://MemphisCover.jpg

Thanks for posting PlanetPage! For the record, the photo used is from the Fillmore East 1969 - it's a cropped, reverse negative of this photo:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/photos-home/led-zeppelin/1968-1969/fillmore-e-jan-69-3

Anybody know if that's Jackie DeShannon singing back-up on "She Just Satisfies"?

It's nice to see JP showcasing this song - he seemed irritated or embarassed when journalists would ask him about it in Zep times.

For studio/recording history enthusiasts, here's some background on Philips Studio in London:

http://www.philsbook.com/philips.html

What it looks like now:

phillips.png

Yes, he had (and has) such a flair for fashion. I loved his hair during the Yardbirds years. He looked like he was trying his best to have his hair lay straight but that it was a losing battle.

But back to the topic at hand. Would he have tried to have a solo career had the single been successful? He always talked about how he liked being in a group. Apart from Outrider, I just can't imagine him with a solo career.

You're welcome, as always MSG and PlanetPage, I found it so sweet he hoped we liked his pictures. I found them so wonderful and beautiful. I always feel so honared that he is letting us in on his travels over the years. His one for tonight is absolutely adorable! :D I never really thought about what they did during the breaks from the famous tours like the '75 one was.

I feel the same way, AEN. It's interesting to hear directly from Jimmy himself what he was doing during the breaks from these long tours.

...Memphis April 17, 1970...Memphis Press Scimitar. W/thanks to Assistant Professor Joyce McKibben/University of Memphis Libraries

http://LedZeppelinReview1-1.jpg

Thanks for posting PlanetPage. No mention at all of a 1969 performance. Ms. McKibbon didn't happen to send a copy of the Cover (which included a picture of Page and Jones), as mentioned at the bottom of the first column, did she?

Thank you for tracking down and sharing this article as well as the other one here, PlanetPage. I love reading these early reviews of LZ shows (including the descriptions of the audiences' reactions). I also notice that there was no mention at all of a 1969 performance - most of the reviews I've read of the band's performances (in a city where they played a year or two before) briefly mention the earlier concert (comparing setlist, length, audience reaction, venue, etc.) or say something about the band's return to a particular city or venue.

You do refer to the Kumari......funny thing is that she actually threw a marble out of a window at a guy who was with us, although I have no clue why she did that. I managed to find Kumari's marble and still have it.

Yes, thank you. I'm glad you've kept the Kumari's marble - I would consider it a talisman.

.....Hi MSG and AEN 27...they are really beautiful photos just too close to the heart...MSG you are so very fortunate to experience Nepal in person...My earliest memories are from Grade 7 when Sir Hillary and Tan Seng climbed the Mount Everest...One of the most prominent Legendary Personality from Nepal (with Zeppelin Connection) is Chief Editor of The Junior Statesman (long gone days now/out of print)... The Late Desmond Doig, author, journalist, architect, landscape designer...

Here is his Masterpiece Malla Hotel Garden that he designed....

http://www.explorehi...he-malla-hotel/

Desmond's Exhibition/Article/His watercolors...

http://www.nepalitim...274/Review/9208

Press conference of Sir Edmund Hillary's 1960 Himalayan expedition to search for the legendary Yeti. Shown at the conference are:

Marlin Perkins, zoologist and director of the Lincoln Park Zoo; Sir Edmund Hillary; Khumjo Chumbi, a Sherpa guide; and

Desmond Doig, official correspondent for World Book. A skull is on the table.

And then one day came JS. Desmond Doig’s baby took the stodge out of the Statesman and brought to all young people the changes that had been happening in fashion, style, music and sensibilities since the middle and late sixties in the West. It brought together elements of Bollywood and the far-away rock legends – where else could you see a picture of Bibi Bonesetter sprawled seductively across the folded page one page over from a time-phased photo of Carl Palmer’s drumsticks flashing through his performance with ELP? This is where Ajit Singh and Asha Putli became known while a generation discovered The Who, Led Zeppelin, Traffic and Jethro Tull. Centerfolds featured rock stars and Bollywood actors. JS gave us Cordell shirts, paisley see-throughs and bellbottoms.

...an article by Dubby Bhagat ...one of the Editors of Junior Statesman, now Food Critic with The The Himalayan Times (Dubby once met Page at Ronnie Scott's around '73 likely early months as he was corresponding from London for JS)

....All of these former editors of Junior Statesman have seen best of Nepal, the youth culture from the Heydays to present....

...I have not seen any television or film until Late 1971...I saw the vintage posters of films depicting Nepal/Khatmandu culture of that time...

...and my apologies for typo's...

yes, I did note the reference to Sadhus from R. Halfin's Diary.

Thank you so much for the wonderful information about Desmond Doig, PlanetPage! I didn't realize that these interesting connections existed. Nepal was/is a magnificent place and I feel fortunate that I was able to design my life so I could experience it and other places. Thank you again for the information. :)

...it is so true AEN, it is really interesting just how the timeline logically falls....very thankful to the Master Musician for sharing his personal memories again and again...how sweet of him simply....

AEN, I have seen the intoxicating liquids being collected in pitchers tied to high under the palm trees in India...slowly the pitcher is filled in few weeks and used as a drink by the natives around countryside and shops...etc...

MSG may recall these as well, as she has travelled so much in India and world over...

Here is a breathtaking photo gallery of Dominica link which shows the Cricket Stadium of Roseau for International Matches...

Photo Gallery...

http://georgeandjudi.blogspot.com/

Spice :yesnod::flying:

In Dominica, 'spice' is the generic name given to any rum to which a local herb or spice has been added and allowed to impart its particular flavour.

The most common 'spiced' rums are:

• spice which has had Cinnamon added
  • nannie which is Rosemary
  • l'apsent which is absinthe/aniseed
  • pueve which is creole for 'pepper'

Spice is an acquired taste, best drunk in one go...

ca Rum/Spice here...

http://www.avirtuald...ica.com/rum.htm

I remember that very well, PlanetPage. In T.N. they referred to it as toddy tapping and the intoxicating drink as toddy. The men would climb high up into the palm trees and run ropes across from tree to tree so they could tap as many as possible. Because it damaged the trees, it was illegal in protected areas of the Nilgiris so every so often we would read in the paper about a band of toddy tappers being arrested.

23 Feb. '12

http://satisfiesSingle.jpg

Keep Moving...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOx8vWjKKa4

She Just Satisfies..

I think this is such a delightful record of a very young Jimmy. He briefly responds to questions about this song in his 1977 interview with Dave Schulps of Trouser Press:

DS: What about your solo single, "She Just Satisfies"?

JP: I did it because I thought it would be fun. I played all the instruments

except drums, which was Bobbie Graham. The other side was the same story.

DS: Why didn't you do a follow-up to "She Just Satisfies"?

JP: Because I wanted to do "Every Little Thing" with an orchestra, and they

wouldn't let me do it.

DS: So you refused to do anything else?

JP: No, it was just left like that, and my contract ran out before I could

do anything else. Simple as that.

http://www.rocksback...?ArticleID=9257

Jimmy is always at it how his voice sucks and he cannot sing, I don't get it. He has a very good voice, sounds like a cross between Keith Relf and Eddie Cochran. I think with the quality of his voice and John Bonham's (he had a VERY good singing voice), they could have laid down some damn fine harmonies. Oh well.

Anybody know if that's Jackie DeShannon singing back-up on "She Just Satisfies"?

It's nice to see JP showcasing this song - he seemed irritated or embarassed when journalists would ask him about it in Zep times.

It was my understanding she sang the backing on them both. I am glad he did it... and loved tonights. I remembered the date was tomorrow and I hoped he would do it, but it doesn't surprise me he did the whole OTD to it. I also loved the sampler. :D

Archived