JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

You called it, AEN! From your lips to God's...Jimmy's ears. ;)

I remember the days just before PG was released and how wildly anticipated and epic an event it was. Shortly before it came out one of my friends who was interning at a small radio station managed to get a tape of it out and we all sat up nearly all night listening to PG, transported once again by LZ - it was so wonderful and magical. We had all grown up with LZ and PG had the depth and sophistication and complexity we were seeking in music at that time in our lives - it was as if the band's music had grown up along with us. My love of PG is (of course) primarily because of the music (some of my favorite LZ songs are there) but also because of all the great memories of those days that are evoked every time I hear it. Even my husband, who is a very casual fan of the band, gave PG a prominent place in his album collection display. The album art is magnificent. In the years immediately following its release I don't think there was anyone in college who didn't have a copy of PG in their collection of albums.

I remember the days just before PG was released and how wildly anticipated and epic an event it was. Shortly before it came out one of my friends who was interning at a small radio station managed to get a tape of it out and we all sat up nearly all night listening to PG, transported once again by LZ - it was so wonderful and magical. We had all grown up with LZ and PG had the depth and sophistication and complexity we were seeking in music at that time in our lives - it was as if the band's music had grown up along with us. My love of PG is (of course) primarily because of the music (some of my favorite LZ songs are there) but also because of all the great memories of those days that are evoked every time I hear it. Even my husband, who is a very casual fan of the band, gave PG a prominent place in his album collection display. The album art is magnificent. In the years immediately following its release I don't think there was anyone in college who didn't have a copy of PG in their collection of albums.

I sort of had a feeling it was special enough to Jimmy to do it. ;)

It is special to me too as it has become my favorite, but also it was released almost exactly a month before I was born, which is partly why I remember the date. I loved hearing your memory of this time, MSG. :D

Well said MSG. I feel the same about this monumental album. As far as I'm concerned, it's Zep's best studio work. No doubt in my mind about that! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer:

Are any of these brief tracks on YouTube or anywhere else?

I sort of had a feeling it was special enough to Jimmy to do it. ;)

It is special to me too as it has become my favorite, but also it was released almost exactly a month before I was born, which is partly why I remember the date. I loved hearing your memory of this time, MSG. :D

....MSG thanks as always sharing your thoughts bringing the era little closer...I remember the impact as well as we spoke about this era many times....

AEN...I do remember your birthday right around this time, our so many posts in Hot Pictures of Jimmy Page...I know it is special......

Thank you for tracking down and sharing this article as well as the other one here, PlanetPage. I love reading these early reviews of LZ shows (including the descriptions of the audiences' reactions). I also notice that there was no mention at all of a 1969 performance - most of the reviews I've read of the band's performances (in a city where they played a year or two before) briefly mention the earlier concert (comparing setlist, length, audience reaction, venue, etc.) or say something about the band's return to a particular city or venue.

...You very welcome MSG....if I receive anything further, I will be dutiful....I notice that too about '69...

Would he have tried to have a solo career had the single been successful? He always talked about how he liked being in a group. Apart from Outrider, I just can't imagine him with a solo career.

He must have considered it back then, don't you think? He certainly had the look. But maybe his personality was too introverted, and he thought of himself as more of an auteur/producer/guitarist than a front man.

• Administrators

Good entry by Jimmy, but have to wonder how accurate that set list is for Aukland? Review says Zep played Celebration Day, but it wasn't in the set list provided, and did the band really decide not to play Going to California on this particular night (also not in the set list)?

Setlist: ledzeppelin.com/show/february-25-1972

Good entry by Jimmy, but have to wonder how accurate that set list is for Aukland? Review says Zep played Celebration Day, but it wasn't in the set list provided, and did the band really decide not to play Going to California on this particular night (also not in the set list)?

Seriously, I doubt very much Jimmy is writing narratives each day for this site. I do question the set list as well as I have with a million other concert dates on this site.....less than impressive, though I do enjoy some of the entries pre-zeppelin.

26 Feb'12

http://pagepoland.jpg

"In 1998, Page and Plant played Katowice in Poland, nine years after the Berlin Wall came down. It had been said that the Mayor was a "Rock & Roll Mayor" and he would like to see us after the show.

When I met him he began to explain how the music kept them going and the attitude of the Soviet authorities at that time, whereby a group of four friends would club the money together to buy a record from a clandestine source. It would cost one month's pay and then the one who bought it would play it and hide it, then he would pass it onto one of the other friends who would play it and hide it etc, etc. If they were discovered they would go to jail.

Well times had changed - Katowice had a rocking Mayor and had a serious enthusiasm for rock music. It was a memorable evening."

video:

Archived