JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I visited Paris on a few occasions and about 15 years ago, when staying in the south part of the city, I stayed at a hotel (which I can't recall the name) the Palais des Sports was directly across the street from my hotel. One thing I recall, was Tom Jones was playing there in a couple of nights. If I was still there, I may have gone to his show. This was late May, early June 1996.

04/0412

"I was asked to participate at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, to give an induction speech for Jeff Beck. Jeff deserves all accolades for his musical contribution. There are many guitarists, then there is Jeff Beck. We had some fun that night with 'Bolero' and 'Immigrant Song', and we soundchecked 'Bolero' that afternoon. But the idea of the 'Immigrant Song' was discussed and mapped out later at the hotel and in the car on the way to the ceremony. He and his band were exhilarating and a thrill to play with."

4412.jpg

42121.jpg

42122.jpg

44123.jpg

44124.jpg

http://youtu.be/RQNCQiciOdo

http://youtu.be/laXXXJ_1dHQ

Mar 11'12

SouthHZep71.jpg

Setlist:

The setlist included...

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Since I've Been Loving You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Going to California

What Is and What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

Whole Lotta Love (medley)

Communication Breakdown

I am very sincerely thankful and indebted to Ms. Karen Robson,Senior Archivist,Hartley Library at University of Southampton

for the following two very rare archival Press reviews for us.

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/

Image Credit To: Wessex Scene

Press Review for Mar. 11, 1971:

ClubTourReview71.jpg

Image Credit To: Wessex Scene:

Press Review for Jan. 21/22nd 1973

LZSouthampton73Press.jpg

6th April 2012 http://AllYourOwnJP.jpg

The Very Beautiful and Nervous James Patrick Page..

What a lovely child he was! So soft-spoken, polite, and sweet. I enjoyed seeing young Jimmy play skiffle too - and I'm glad that in addition to mentioning "the shining light and inspiration to many aspiring skifflers" Lonnie Donegan, Jimmy also acknowledged Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly as two of the primary sources of this music.

What a lovely child he was! So soft-spoken, polite, and sweet. I enjoyed seeing young Jimmy play skiffle too - and I'm glad that in addition to mentioning "the shining light and inspiration to many aspiring skifflers" Lonnie Donegan, Jimmy also acknowledged Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly as two of the primary sources of this music.

....I love this video of JImmy MSG; watched it so many times, he is exactly as you describe him.....

Well, aside from Domino we now now he has other unreleased tracks......

He did call them tracks, fair enough, but the material recorded with Michael at Depot Studios are basically little more than instrumental sketches for a third Page/Plant album. Jimmy & Robert were to reconvene that month to write together but Robert cancelled at the last minute, counter-offering with August.

I am very sincerely thankful and indebted to Ms. Karen Robson, Senior Archivist, Hartley Library at University of Southampton

for the following two very rare archival Press reviews for us.

+1. Truly outstanding, previously undocumented reviews of an epic gig.

Hmm...first ever documented live performance of Livin' Lovin' Maid...? Seems unlikely, but you never know. Looking at the setlists of the Irish shows in March 71, it's hard to see which song 'after the opening few numbers' the reviewer could be confusing it with.

Also noticed the newspaper's dated 14th May, not March...it would be unusual to get this wrong. Is it possible that this show was actually rescheduled to May, like the Liverpool show on 10th May?

The show took place as scheduled on March 11, 1971. Both of these clippings are from the New Musical Express. The top one is from March 27, 1971 and the bottom one is from April 3, 1971.

southampton71.jpg

Also noticed the newspaper's dated 14th May, not March...it would be unusual to get this wrong. Is it possible that this show was actually rescheduled to May, like the Liverpool show on 10th May?

Not possible. There is another article concerning this show in the timeline and it refers to this show as having been on a Thu as well as one by The Rolling Stones the following night. Well, The Rolling Stones performed two shows at the Empire in Liverpool on Fri, March 12 1971 as part of their Farewell Tour of Great Britain but the Stones did not perform anywhere in May '73, having moved in April to France to live as tax exiles.

But not a word does he share to illuminate his aspirations in "biological research." :)

But not a word does he share to illuminate his aspirations in "biological research." :)

Well it's a TV program and only so much time is allowed to go in depth with these interviews. Perhaps, someone can ask the man himselff, although it's unlikely he'd remember the details of this performance and interview from 50+ years ago!

7667.jpg

Neal Preston's photograph of the 'Stormtrooper' outfit applies to 10 April

setlist:

The Song Remains The Same,

(The Rover intro) Sick Again,

Nobody's Fault But Mine,

Since I've Been Loving You,

No Quarter,

Ten Years Gone,

Battle of Evermore,

Going to California,

Black Country Woman,

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp,

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside,

Kashmir,

(Out On the Tiles intro) Moby Dick,

Jimmy Page solo,

Achilles Last Stand,

Stairway to Heaven,

Rock and Roll.

(sadly the show was shortened - "In My Time Of Dying" and "Trampled Underfoot" were dropped. The reason was that the famous local hockey team, Chicago Black Hawks, they were in the playoffs at the time and had to use the arena on Friday night. The union that worked this facility demanded Zeppelin be finished by 11:00 P.M. as the Showco sound system had to be dismantled for the hockey game to be played on Friday.)

Archived