JOHN PAUL JONES & SUPERSILENT

sam_webmaster

John Paul Jones: “Live with Zeppelin, I often had no idea what I was going to do”

"John Paul Jones has revealed that his latest project shares some live similarities with Led Zeppelin.

In the new issue of Uncut, out Friday (August 24), the bassist explained that his work with Norwegian noisemakers Supersilent features improvisation in the same way his legendary group’s shows did in the late ’60s and ’70s.

“There were great unplanned improv sequences in Led Zep songs: ‘Dazed And Confused’, ‘Whole Lotta Love’,” Jones says. “Quite often I found myself on stage with absolutely no idea of what I was going to do, and that’s the fun of it.”

Unlike Zeppelin, though, his performances with Supersilent use complex electronic processing: “I love this style of playing – it can be extraordinarily delicate and beautiful, or it can sound like the end of the world.”"

http://www.uncut.co.uk/led-zeppelin/john-paul-jones-live-with-zeppelin-i-often-had-no-idea-what-i-was-going-to-do-news

But even if this isn't your cup of tea, and I'll admit that it can be dissonant and harsh music...'noise', if you like...I don't understand the hostility shown towards John Paul Jones in some of the negative posts here. You don't like the music? Fine. But why the mean-spiritedness towards one of the nicest, most genuine musicians on the planet?

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone attacking his character here, just the music. That said, the criticism is mild compared to what I've seen leveled at Robert Plant, going back to the Raising Sand project with Allison Krauss. It only escalated once he made it public that he had no interest in an ongoing Zep reunion beyond the 02. Even Page has been the object of a good amount of criticism as of late but it still pales in comparions to the vitriol I've seen directed at Plant on this board. I can understand being passionate about a Zeppelin reunion but lots of those folks slamming Plant crossed a line that didn't need to be crossed.

I can understand being passionate about a Zeppelin reunion but lots of those folks slamming Plant crossed a line that didn't need to be crossed.

Which is why many of them were banned. Wasn't there a woman here who even criticized Plant for performing at a Cancer Benefit?

Which is why many of them were banned. Wasn't there a woman here who even criticized Plant for performing at a Cancer Benefit?

I seem to recall something about that, maybe Eternal Light? Lots of those folks that were banned returned with new names. "Banning" someone here really doesn't carry a whole lot of weight, as we all know. Expressing an opinion is one thing, attacking the person themselves is quite another and that line was often crossed in the case of Plant.

Jazz breaking news: John Paul Jones And Supersilent Touchdown For UK Tour

In one of the most boundary breaking jazz-rock collaborations of recent times former Led Zeppelin bass hero John Paul Jones and cult Norwegian industrial-ambient-noise groupSupersilent (all pictured left) join forces for a major UK tour this November. Jones has been pursuing his love of the ever-expanding Norwegian prog-improv scene with an initial gig with the group at the Molde Jazz Festival in July 2011, as well as popping up as a guest with drummer Martin France’s Spin Marvel alongside trumpeter Nils Petter Molvaer at last year’s Cheltenham Jazz Festival.

Comprised of Arve Henriksen (trumpet, electronics, drums, vocals),Ståle Storløkken (keyboards) and Helge Sten aka Deathprod(electronics) Supersilent have carved their own distinctive sonic niche across 11 wildly divergent albums on Rune Grammofon and ECM, building a dedicated global following who relish their uncompromising and unpredictable approach to making music which has but one rule: no rehearsals. Jones’ prolific post-Zeppelin career has included two solo albums Zooma and The Thunderthief, a string of diverse collaborations with the likes of Seasick Steve and composer MarkAnthony Turnage, and his role in the acclaimed rock trio Them Crooked Vultures alongside stadium rockers Dave Grohl and Josh Homme.

The Supersilent gigs may test fans of Jones’ usual rock settings as he leaps headlong into some no holds barred performances that can veer from spectral minimalism to churning electronic onslaughts in an instant. Support comes from experimental Japanese composer/field recording artist Aki Onda who will open each concert.

Dates are as follows:

Town Hall, Birmingham (14 Nov);

The Arches, Glasgow (15 Nov);

RNCM, Manchester (16 Nov);

Arnolfini, Bristol (17 Nov) and

Village Underground, London (18 Nov).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick interview with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and now Supersilent

about 6 hours ago, Shoreditch, London, United Kingdom

John Paul Jones was in our train carriage planning his forthcoming show with Supersilent. I had to grab a chat.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1011620-quick-interview-with-john-paul-jones-of-led-zeppelin-and-now-supersilent

Aaaah that monster 12-string bass! Off to watch Spinning in the Daffodils performance at Köln!

Is that iPad in 1st pic?

From an article in "Tight But Loose" when JPJ played at "John Cage Musicircus" in March he used an "iMac and a touchscreen electronic device".

However, maybe he likes to use a variety of computers as he does musical instruments ;-)

post-19355-0-20374800-1351195381_thumb.j

Excerpt of interview with Vuk Valcic in the current issue of Rock-a-Rolla magazine.

So it's safe to say you´re not averse to technology in music?

"No, no, I've used technology forever. I used to use a VCS3 with Zeppelin, I had a Fairlight with Zeppelin, I´ve always used technology -or not! Whatever's required, I'm perfectly happy just playing bass with Seasick Steve or mandolin, or fiddle or something. I don't really care what's in my hands as long as I'm making some music with it".

Your last solo album came out over a decade ago. Any plans to release a follow-up?

"No plans really, I always think perhaps I will but there's so much else to do. I´ve stopped producing because there's so much else to do. I'm working on a classical opera at the moment, which will be out in 2015, and so that's my background, right at the moment, and everything else kind of fits in-between. I don't have to rehearse with Seasick Steve and I don't rehearse with anybody, so all the projects I do at the moment I just have to turn up, do it and then I can go back to the opera."

Is there anything else you are working on that you can reveal at this stage?

"Well... Biscotti in London 6th December. I hope to do some more Minibus Pimps shows, probably play with Steve a bit more. I've just been recording -done quite a lot of work- on his record that he's making at this very moment... Promote the Zeppelin DVD, the O2 show... I don't know, a bunch of stuff (laughs) it doesn's stop, and so it shouldn't".

Maybe you Hep Cats dig this groovy stuff but Supersilent I really don't get it?

One of the many wonderful things about music, something for everyone, and it's not a sin to dislike some of it. That said, from what I understand is that Supersilent are quite powerful and different in person.

• Administrators

WIN: John Paul Jones & Supersilent Tickets

Led Zeppelin bassist teams up with Norwegian experimentalists

Former Led Zeppelin bassist/multi-instrumentalist turned arch-collaborator John Paul Jones will be playing a show with avant-garde Norwegian experimenters Supersilent on November 18.

He's got a knack for picking a good collaboration has Mr Paul Jones, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares in the entirely-improvised live set-up of a Supersilent performance.

Support comes from electronic/visual artist and Brooklynite Aki Onda.

Tickets are available here here, though we've got a pair to give away. To be in with a chance of winning, just e-mail your answer to the following question to comps@thequietus.com, with SUPERSILENT in the subject line, by midday Wednesday November 14. It's open to UK residents only, and to read the Quietus Competition terms & conditions, click here.

Q: As well as bass, what instrument did John Paul Jones play extensively with Led Zeppelin?

A. Tuba

B. Theremin

C. Swanee whistle

D. Mandolin

http://thequietus.co...rground-tickets

Interview: Supersilent

Ahead of their UK tour alongside Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones, Norway’s Supersilent talk to ATTN about playing their music in the live environment, the recording process and collaborating with JPJ.

Article by Jack Chuter

How did John Paul Jones come to be involved in Supersilent?

He was doing a solo performance of an electronic piece at the Punkt Festival in Kristiansand, Norway in 2010, and we asked him if he would like to join us for our concert. We had a 10-minute soundcheck and that was basically it, in regards to preparations. We had some knowledge of his more avant-garde work and expertise in electronic music, so it seemed like an interesting cooperation.

Can you remember back to those early performances with JPJ? Was there any apprehension as to whether or not the collaboration would “work”?

No, we all had a really good feeling at the first show, and it keeps evolving with every show we do. I find that you usually get a sense of how good it works, quite early on when performing improvised music.

full interview:

http://www.attnmagazine.co.uk/feature/6073

John Paul Jones talks touring with Supersilent and the possibility of reconvening Them Crooked Vultures

The subject of Led Zeppelin's new concert documentary might be impossible to ignore, but this month John Paul Jones bids farewell to the past and looks forward to an impending tour with Norwegian improv group Supersilent...

Feature by Dave Kerr./ The Skynny, Independent Cultural Journalism

Published 09 November 2012

http://www.theskinny...ity_reconvening

One of the many wonderful things about music, something for everyone, and it's not a sin to dislike some of it. That said, from what I understand is that Supersilent are quite powerful and different in person.

Hopefully Jonsey could help them find a tune. Does JPJ's involvement bring anything new to the table.?

Archived