Who would you choose to support Zeppelin?

andyc

The problem with many of the bands suggested on this thread is that while they are great bands, they have not done anything substantial songwise in many years - eg., The Cult, Aerosmith - which is why I think the White Stripes would be a good choice, but I still think the Stones should open.

Hypothetically, if Zeppelin did a tour and they took out a support act, who would you like to see with them? Me would like to see UFO.

UFO? Micheal Schenker UFO? Led Zeppelin of Germany? Man your showing your age. They kicked ass, huh? I read somewhere they just came out with a new album (C.D.). Does'nt he have a brother who plays guitar too? Can you name all the groups he's been in?

Montrose?

Scorpions?

Any more?

UFO? Micheal Schenker UFO? Led Zeppelin of Germany? Man your showing your age. They kicked ass, huh? I read somewhere they just came out with a new album (C.D.). Does'nt he have a brother who plays guitar too? Can you name all the groups he's been in?

Montrose?

Scorpions?

Any more?

UFO are still gigging regularly. The line up is Phil Mogg, Pete Way, Paul Raymond Andy Parker and Vinnie Moore on Guitar. They released a superb live DVD, which was from a couple of years ago while they had Jason Bonham on drums. All the old classics plus newer material. Really go check em out.

Check out...

http://www.ufo-music.info/

I'm not quite a wrinkly yet at 47 :D

In the unlikely event that there's further Zeppaction, I wouldn't really want to see anyone supporting Led Zep, and certanly not soft rock dullards like Foreigner or past-it panto queens like Aerosmith.

If it had to be someone, I reckon the mighty White Stripes would be cool. Kraftwerk would be even cooler, but given their distaste for guitar-based music, I'm not sure Ralf & Florian would do it. And can you imagine the reception they'd get? It'd be just like Suicide supporting The Clash in '77, but on a much larger scale!

One question: why does everyone on this forum keep going on about the Black Crowes? They're rubbish. Absolute pants. I had the misfortune to see these turgid wannabes supporting the Stones back in 1995 and they possessed all the charm of an unflushed toilet. Why Page got involved with them is a complete mystery to me - but then he does have questionable taste sometimes (viz Coverdale and The Firm). They're not fit to share the same planet as Led Zeppelin, let alone a bill.

So there.

Montrose?

Scorpions?

Any more?

Led Zeppelin of England.

way to point out the obvious. :lol: :lol:

If they were to tour, why in God's name would they have the Stones open for them. L A M E.

I feel that the stones wouldnt be a good supporting act, that they would be there trying to steal their thunder......can't really explain it....but that is how I feel

Certainly back in the day when they played 3-4 hrs this would be true. But at there age now they may want to have a warm up-a big name as the tickets will be expensive. Heart was rumored to have opened for them in Canada back iin the day and that was unusual because they were always known to have no warmup band-like when I saw them in Landover in 77. But I think now they may chose to have one to lessen their playing time a bit. I do believe we will get a minimum of 2 1/2 hrs though and when Jimmys finger is better and Robert has a couple of concerts under his belt I think they will feel more at ease. Of course I am hopefull of a tour. I would chose Heart, or Rush for an opener!

The thing is....I believe Black Crowes, Aerosmith, Heart, Rush would be good..but these are all famous acts in themselves...and would not, IMO, be an opening act for another famous band...perhaps a young, blues influenced band might be better..just for an hour show..warm things up a bit.

Adding a backup band will only drive up tickets prices, but if you get a good but small band (like a Black Crowes) who could put together a hour set, it will take a little pressure off of zeppelin so they would only do a 2 1/2 hour set. i would like them see play for 7 hours ( if you put all there songs back to back). But Jimmy has said a 3 hour or more set would be draining. You cant put the white stripes up there because the prices for tickets would be too much for WS fans who never heard of Led Zeppelin to pay, and WS has to respect there fans too. Pearl jam would be my pick.

P.s. i didnt relize somone had the exact same point as me sorry, but hears an idea. play the video of Moby Dick from the TSRTS. People will pay to see that.

Why not having a revival show with 'The Who' , the 'Stones', 'The Kinks', 'Pink Floyd' and 'Led Zep'

on a weekend somewhere, oh yeah and not to forget 'Sly and the Family' (yes, he returned as well), not necessarily in Woodstock, but somewhere in Europe. Germany wouldn't be bad. :D

Ok, I'm bored so I'l play the game. First, though...really,no support/opening act/special guests at all would be ideal. But, in the spirit of this thread ...

U2, Muse,Rolling Stones,Metallica. The 4 most over-rated live bands I'v seen. Let them do their best,then watch the slow dawning realisation that their best is a long,long way short of The Best.

For my personal entertainment, if there absolutely had to be a support or supports...

The Killers, White Stripes, Massive Attack, Radiohead. Chances are this lot wouldn't be embarrassing.

Merry Xmas one and all!!

First no one needs to open BUT if it was my choice

1) Van Halen (with David Lee Roth) because it is my other favorite band

2) Heart -a great compliment and would fit well

3) Aerosmith

4) Rush

5) UFO-starting to really like this idea. Give UFO the chance of their careers!

6) Queen with Paul Rodgers

Just a wish list but wanted to play along! :DB)

I think Led Zepp is the support act for the Bob Dylan Tour 2008 in Europe.

three parts:

part one: Led Zepp plays a little one hour (only new material)

part two: Bob make his new 2008 show

part three:Bob and his Led Zepp Band

songlist:

Robert sing All along the watchtower

Bob sing on Kashmir

Robert sing Visions of Joanna

Bob sing on Whole lotta love

Duett Imagine

Bob and Jimi play Purple haze

Drumsolo Bonham (23 minutes) the new moby dick

Spaces - Jimis experimental soundcheck

the evening closed with The times they are a changin

sorry, but I can't believe this hasn't inspired a reply before now.

Am I the only one that can see this post? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills [/zoolander]

Are you high? Have you heard Bob Dylan sing, especially in the last couple years?

The board needs sarcasm tags, because I can't believe this was a serious post.

dude. just say no.

put down the pipe and back away from the keyboard.

I've avoided this thread up until now and probably should have continued in that mode...

I hope there aren't supporting acts--what could possibly be the point?

p.s. The Stones and Aerosmith--both great bands of course--are readily available on tour by themselves, why waste precious LZ stage time with them? Not to mention the pretentious Jack White etc. And why would anyone want an unoriginal, derivative band like Heart (cringe) to play with Zep?!

Gosh. :rolleyes:

I was going to say The Mars Volta, which maybe two people would agree with haha, but they opened for the Chili Peppers once when I saw them and they are horrendous live. I just think maybe a whole different group of people might be exposed to their music and that would be great cuz they really buck the trends. Their live shows may not be the best way to get fans, though. This is probably a horrible idea.

I want a new studio album from Aerosmith that apologizes (STILL) for Girls of Summer. Honkin on Bobo was great, but they need to have a Rocks/Pump hybrid that blows my ears away.

THEN let the go onstage right after Wolfmother for the Zep concert. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Slade. Now there's my 2nd choice of reunion after Zep. Such a superb live band. Forget the glam rock connection, these boys could rock live. And according to certain Zep books, Nod was considered for Zep vocalist at one time.

Anyone in doubt, check out Slade Alive.

Did you know that Noddy Holder was a roadie for Plant and Bonham's pre-Zep band, The Band Of Joy?

Archived