RIVAL SONS, from Los Angeles

Bonzoghost

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2019 at 1:28 AM, ScarletMacaw said:

Anyone listened to the new album in its entirety? Wondering how it compares to the previous albums. Was thinking of buying the cd...

Looked for it at 4 different stores yesterday and can’t find it anywhere (will have to order it online and wait a few more Days)..

Retail is trying to kill the cd format altogether. It’s superior to over compressed audio formats online by far and it comes with the art work, booklet, etc.  

🙁

R😎

Incredible album, I've listened to it 20 times straight thru already.  Jay Buchanan sounds incredible as does the whole band on this. This album needs to be listened to in its entirety straight through, don't cherry pick tracks; it flows really well the way it's tracked. There's a track called Stood By Me that sounds like it came off Sticky Fingers, amazing! Now, I'm going to cherry pick some of my personal fave's..LOL

Edited by Lambeau Leap

On 1/26/2019 at 12:28 AM, ScarletMacaw said:

Anyone listened to the new album in its entirety? Wondering how it compares to the previous albums. Was thinking of buying the cd...

Listened to it several times from start to finish , it rocks !  

On 1/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, ScarletMacaw said:

It's a really strong album but not much growth. I am looking forward to seeing them in May.

3 hours ago, miker1102 said:

I love the singer.  The guitarist is really weak and mostly a sound effect guy. The songs are boring. The singer needs to dump him and do something more interesting..maybe like Plant did with Krauss.

Jay Buchanan should collaborate with JP and JPJ on something completely experimental & different than Rival Sons or Led Zeppelin (nothing alt/americana). That would be expected. 

R😎

Edited by reids

I bought the cd via Amazon and it's pretty good--has variety, production seems good, Jay sounds good, his voice is still strong. I don't feel like I heard a signature song like "Pressure and Time," "Keep on Swinging" or "Open My Eyes" though.

I was thinking of going to see them in San Francisco in May, but I've been to five of their shows, and at the last one the audience, now composed mostly of die hard fans, sings along and drowns out Jay. It's almost as bad as people humming the riff of "Luke's Wall" at a Black Sabbath concert. 

I think Scott is a good guitarist, but maybe the latest album isn't his best work. Songs like "Manifest Destiny" and "Destination on Course" show off his skills more. 

• 3 weeks later...

No growth? I think so, it's brilliant, very diverse; tracks like Too Bad, Shooting Stars, Feral Roots, All Directions, and Stood By Me are styles of songs they've never done before and they come off quite well IMO.  The best band on the planet right now.....

^^^

Edited by Lambeau Leap