RIVAL SONS, from Los Angeles

Bonzoghost

I know GVF is the front-running scapegoat for a Zep clone, but I have to say that without a doubt, Rival Sons are the absolute most obvious rip-off artists as far as Zep is concerned. The vocalist for GVF might sound pretty similar to Plant on a couple songs, but the music itself isn't very close. However, Rival Sons are almost verbatim copying Zep riffs and slightly twisting them to their own format (to avoid copyright). I'm actually completely amazed that GVF is getting so much flack compared to these guys. And how it's been ignored and overlooked is nothing short of phenomenal.

15 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I know GVF is the front-running scapegoat for a Zep clone, but I have to say that without a doubt, Rival Sons are the absolute most obvious rip-off artists as far as Zep is concerned. The vocalist for GVF might sound pretty similar to Plant on a couple songs, but the music itself isn't very close. However, Rival Sons are almost verbatim copying Zep riffs and slightly twisting them to their own format (to avoid copyright). I'm actually completely amazed that GVF is getting so much flack compared to these guys. And how it's been ignored and overlooked is nothing short of phenomenal.

"Jane, you ignorant slut". 

On 3/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Rival Sons got some heat for sounding zepish when they first came out, but what riff based band isn't sounding similar to zep or Sabbath...been that way since the 70's. There's only so many notes in a scale. 

The comparisons and the criticism differ between GVF and Rival are extremely warranted.. the kid who sings in GVF seems to go out of his way to duplicate Robert Plant's stage mannerisms. To the point where they come off as a bad tribute band in my opinion.  ... now granted they have only put out 1.5 albums at this point to my knowledge,  and still have room to develop artistically.  They would do themselves  a favor by getting a real rhythm section. I've played with better drummers and bassists growing up in high school bands. 

Where as Rival Sons play with authority.  Each member plays their ass off as if it's their last show. If you have a chance to see them live, check them out. You'll find they resemble Humble Pie more so the zep.

I haven't bought into GVF yet. I want to but what they're currently doing comes off as amateur . I'll make a point to see them next time they swing through Dallas. Maybe live they will sway my opinion.  Hopefully their next album progresses into something unique. 

As far as as Rival Sons not progressing artisticly,  that is a fair criticism with the last album.  But Feral Roots utilizes more acoustic guitars from their past releases and the chord progressions and melodies are far more diverse then in the past.

Edited by zepscoda

• 2 weeks later...

My concert going bud and I had the privilege of meeting Jay & Scott yesterday.  They did a small acoustic set, shared some cool stories  and some Q&A for 20 lucky fans at the studio of the 97.1 The Egale here in Dallas. .. they seemed like reallly cool and down to earth dudes. 

I'm the doofus on the left.... lol

20190404_122152.jpg

PicsArt_04-03-04.27.56.jpg

2 hours ago, zepscoda said:

First show of the American tour!!!  It's going to be stellar!

#Treesisfuckingawsome!

PicsArt_04-04-07.38.25.jpg

Cool 😎👍 I’m going to see them next Tuesday in Atlanta 

R😎🎸👍

On 4/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, reids said:

Cool 😎👍 I’m going to see them next Tuesday in Atlanta 

R😎🎸👍

I've been reading after the Dallas show the band spend over an hour meeting with fans outside after the gig. 

Have you seen them before, or is this your first show?

1 hour ago, zepscoda said:

I've been reading after the Dallas show the band spend over an hour meeting with fans outside after the gig. 

Have you seen them before, or is this your first show?

Thx. Cool 😎👍 no. First time seeing them. I have all their stuff except pressure and time , their ep and their self titled album. I’ve also got a British classic rock magazine special edition best of sampler cd with a few unreleased / rare tracks. 

Edited by reids

Awesome 😎👍

incredible show. 

They played 9 songs from new album and 7 other of their strongest songs from previous releases including two of my favorites, “Jordan” & “Face of Light” 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rival-sons/2019/heaven-the-masquerade-atlanta-ga-3393c459.html

The crowd was appreciative and positive, too!!! 

R😎🎸👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Rival Sons (Feral Roots - best Rock album) were robbed of their two Grammys by Cage The Elephant  (more pop than rock and it came out two years ago) and Gary Clark Jr (more blues than rock).

This newest album (Feral Roots) IMHO is the best Rock album of the past decade. They should be headlining festivals with 6 albums & self titled EP (before the fire, head down, pressure and time, great western valkrye, hollow bones & feral roots). 

R😎

Edited by reids

On 3/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

The difference is that Rival Sons are actually listenable and have the goods in concert. While GVF makes you want to cut off your ears, stab your eyes with an ice-pick and render your innards with a hot iron.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

The difference is that Rival Sons are actually listenable and have the goods in concert. While GVF makes you want to cut off your ears, stab your eyes with an ice-pick and render your innards with a hot iron.

I can't disagree with that. I can tolerate the GVF vocalist for approximately 3 minutes.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Lol. 😀

R😎

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ready for a new Rival Sons record.

I’ve bought all of their albums, actually  found their first song from the soundtrack, “Push” under another band name and their classic rock hits sampler cd from a few years ago, as well. 

R😎