Robert Plant "Non Stop Go" Tour 1988

Pretty cool that this was the opening P.A. music at your show. Just don't remember if this was used back in May of 1988 at my show. Was always a big REM fan and then they sort of lost it when Bill Berry left and Michael Stipe shaved his head.

Fairly certain intro music used at every gig on the first leg of the North American tour (May-Jun 1988) was the female Berber singers. Their name escapes my memory at the moment but someone out there must remember?

Fairly certain intro music used at every gig on the first leg of the North American tour (May-Jun 1988) was the female Berber singers. Their name escapes my memory at the moment but someone out there must remember?

I;m sure it was the Bulgarian folk singers....forget which track but the album was "les mysteres des voix bulgares" (volume 1).

I caught this show in New Orleans on June 6th,1988. (just realized this date puts this ahead of Jimmy Page, which I thought was my first show) This was the first time I saw Robert Plant. I enjoyed his set list and the album he was supporting at the time "Now and Zen". I still have the concert shirt from this tour (in good condition) hanging in a case.....good memories

le mystere des voix bulgares was the name of the singers. In the UK It Bites were the support act. I took my 7 year old son to one of the shows and he was with my friends son and we left them in the balcony whilst we were downstairs watching It bites and when we went back to see them they said that Robert had stood next to where they were sitting watching the show.

Edited by ledded1

• 1 month later...

Wow, so cool all these years later to virtually meet some folks who were there, too!! Both times!!!biggrin.gif

I was there for both shows too. IIRC, Joan Jett stormed off stage at the first show after getting quite a few boos. Also, I don't think she opened for the second show - am I remembering things correctly?

• 2 weeks later...

this tour i had the best seats for a plant show........joan jett opened as well and was entertaining

robert came over and sang a verse of "in the mood" to us that night......we were so close it was almost embarassing......but cool

• 2 months later...

I saw Robert Plant in '88 at the old New Haven Coliseum. Joan Jett opened for him. To this day one of the best shows I've ever seen. He did Immigrant Song and the place erupted. The coliseum had the old metal aisles and everybody would pound their feet on them and literally make the building shake. I guess that's part of the reason they knocked it down. Joan was rockin that night as well.

I saw Plant in Phoenix for that tour and The Mission UK opened for him. Phoenix crowds are notoriously rude and rowdy toward opening acts and I admit I was a bit embarassed at the greeting The Mission UK received. The crowd would not stop booing them and screaming, "Get the FUCK off the stage...You suck!!!" Finally, after two songs the singer told the crowd to fuck off, threw down his mic and stormed off. The remainder of the band went into one hell of a hard core metal jam for about a minute and the crowd LOVED it. Went beserk! The the rest of Mission UK took off their gear, flipped off the crowd and left. Insane. When Plant and the crew performed they did an amazing show. A rather large woman of about thirty rushed the stage with a bouquet of roses and just when security was about to get medeval on her ass, Plant motioned to security to back off. He approached her, gave her a hug and accepted the flowers, he then kissed her and helped her (with the aid of three security guys...I said she was a big girl) off the stage. Robert proves time and again he is a true gentleman, great showman, and incredible musician.

Wow Sagittarius, I remember the lady, but I blew off the Mission to party at Bandersnatch before the show (May 11, 1988 if I remember correctly, at Tempe Activities Center - same venue as the Firm show I saw in March 1985 and of course, the legendary Zep July '77 show. Side note: I miss concerts being held there, always liked the sound in TAC).

I'll never forget the buildup to that first Zep song we would hear Robert sing for the first time that tour: In The Evening, 4th song in, and it sounded great!

Don't know if you went to the Tucson show in November that year, but it was excellent as well, and I remember Robert adding a lot more Zep tunes on this leg of the tour, including Immigrant Song and a combo of In the Light and NFBM. Great memories!!!

Wow Sagittarius, I remember the lady, but I blew off the Mission to party at Bandersnatch before the show (May 11, 1988 if I remember correctly, at Tempe Activities Center - same venue as the Firm show I saw in March 1985 and of course, the legendary Zep July '77 show. Side note: I miss concerts being held there, always liked the sound in TAC).

I'll never forget the buildup to that first Zep song we would hear Robert sing for the first time that tour: In The Evening, 4th song in, and it sounded great!

Don't know if you went to the Tucson show in November that year, but it was excellent as well, and I remember Robert adding a lot more Zep tunes on this leg of the tour, including Immigrant Song and a combo of In the Light and NFBM. Great memories!!!

No, unfortunately did not go to the Tucson show, had to work. But wow...Bandersnatch, I used to go there every Tuesday (I think???) for the all you can eat spaghetti lunch for $4. Do you remember the elderly waitress that had been there for years? A real sweetheart she was and I believe was the owners mother. Bt 1992 she was beginning to lose a bit of her memory and once she cleared our plates she would say, oh you are such nice boys, be good and see you next week. This would be great if it were not for the fact that she forgot to give us the check every time. She thought we already paid!!! We never took advantage of her so the three of us would always leave $25 for a $15 meal. Who knows, maybe she was smarter than she looked and once we left she picked up the cash and said to the waitstaff, "works every time." B)

• 1 month later...

I think for me it was his best tour in 1988, saw him a few times that year and have fond memories, think It Bites opened on some of them. It was a good band (Robert's not It Bites) and twith he mixture of solo and at last some Zeppelin material worked so well. Enough time had passed for him to play some after carving out his post Zep career with the first 3 albums of solo material. Having said that Robbie Blunt and co in the band were also top notch. All good really.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Plant in Indianapolis in June of '88, my first concert, actually. Mission UK was the opener and they didn't get booed, but the audience basically ignored them. Then I had tickets to see him in Chicago on Oct 11, 1988, but that one also got pushed to December 15, 1988 due to the shower incident. Joan Jett was the opener in Chicago, and she went over well.

• 5 months later...

I saw Robert Plant in Shreveport, Louisiana on November 13, 1988, just a few days prior to the afore mentioned Norman, Oklahoma gig. There was no opening act as I recall. He mixed in a few Zeppelin tunes with his solo stuff, and the crowd loved every minute! I actually got to meet Plant during that afternoon before the show and he signed a Zeppelin album for me. He told me that his grandfather's name was also Allan, and that the spelling of our shared name is Welsh. He was cool to visit with! Here is a photo I got with him.

post-17838-0-94495800-1360272195_thumb.j

Great show in Vancouver . Encores included Roadhouse Blues and Back In The USSR

Openning act was The Georgia Satellites who were a band that I had never really liked but, as a live act, were a very, very pleasant suprise :)

Edited by ally

I saw Rob twice in '88 (I'm thinking there might be a third time, but I'm not sure). A highlight of the first show in May was his performance of In The Evening, which blew my mind. There was a very cool psychedelic projection behind him for that song...kind of a rich swirling purple. I also remember that he did a neat little trick during that show - he was playing another Zep tune that featured harmonica (Black Country Woman?) and he didn't have a harp in his hand when the song started. When it got time to blow the harp, he flipped his hand and it seemed to appear of nowhere, right in time for him to play. I was in a state of mind which made that seem VERY impressive. I had good seats and eagle eyes...who knows, maybe it was magic.

The second time was in the winter, I believe, and the highlight was In The Light. I don't think he did the whole song, but it was enough to really work for me. Immigrant song from that show was great, too, with a cool video projection to go with it. Great times. 1988 was a great year.

I remember listening to the local rock station down in here Tampa taking calls from people who had just left the show and the DJ said the calls at that point were almost 50/50 as to which performance was better, Plant or Cheap Trick! I thought to myself "no way".

Does anyone remember how well Cheap Trick played during their set at any of the shows they opened? I find it hard to believe they did "better" than Plant and his back up band under any circumstance. Thats not a knock on them btw.

Cheap Trick played great at Saratoga Springs NY in July 88 and the crowd loved every minute of their set. Dream Police went over the best that I can remember. Plant and his band were terrific as well. In the evening, Black Country woman, and dimples were the highlights for me. An all around great show.