UK

It Bites

North America

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

Mission U.K.

The Georgia Satellites

Cheap Trick

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Joan Jett had a schedule conflict for the make-up date in Norman, OK. As a result, my old band "Legacy" opened that show. A career highlight for sure!!

6 hours ago, bonedarrell said:

Joan Jett had a schedule conflict for the make-up date in Norman, OK. As a result, my old band "Legacy" opened that show. A career highlight for sure!!

Lucky me (sarcasm) we had Mission UK. Oh no, heaven forbid we got SRV or Joan Jett, that was just way too much to hope for. Instead the goddamned Mission UK. Good news is Phoenix heckled the singer off the stage, then the rest of the band went into about one minute of some improved punk tune beating the living shit out of their instruments. They finally sounded great and the crowd was loving it. Then they stopped, all left the stage except the drummer who left his kit, came to the foot of the stage, flipped everyone off and left.

Brilliant!

32 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Robert liked them so much their founder/guitarist (Francis Dunnery) eventually joined his band.

In an interview Francis said "Robert told me he hated my guitar playing, but I had the job". Wonder what the story behind that was? Francis was an amazing guitarist who was capable of taking Plant's music to the next level, but apparently he wanted out pretty quick.

On July 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM, IpMan said:

Lucky me (sarcasm) we had Mission UK. Oh no, heaven forbid we got SRV or Joan Jett, that was just way too much to hope for. Instead the goddamned Mission UK. Good news is Phoenix heckled the singer off the stage, then the rest of the band went into about one minute of some improved punk tune beating the living shit out of their instruments. They finally sounded great and the crowd was loving it. Then they stopped, all left the stage except the drummer who left his kit, came to the foot of the stage, flipped everyone off and left.

Brilliant!

I was anticipating a less than warm response for our set actually. Hell, EVERYBODY was there to see Plant and Plant only!!......Even me!!!! Luckily, we were from Oklahoma City, so we had the support of the crowd. Any other city, we would have likely experienced the Mission UK in Phoenix drama.

20 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

In an interview Francis said "Robert told me he hated my guitar playing, but I had the job". Wonder what the story behind that was? Francis was an amazing guitarist who was capable of taking Plant's music to the next level, but apparently he wanted out pretty quick.

His guitar playing may not have been Robert's cup of tea, but Francis Dunnery is funny as hell and was a great fit for the young band Robert had at the time.

Robert Plant's Ex-guitarist Takes Solo Flight

June 09, 1994|By Fred Shuster, Los Angeles Daily News.

LOS ANGELES — Francis Dunnery recalled the first words he spoke to Robert Plant when the ex-Led Zeppelin singer asked him to audition for the guitar slot in Plant's 1993-94 band.

"The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the rehearsal room was full of keyboards and sequencers," Dunnery said. "So, my first thing to him was, `I thought you were a blues singer.' It was ludicrous. This incredible blues singer was being made to sound like Depeche Mode.

"I didn't grow up listening to Zeppelin or anything and I certainly wasn't in awe of him. I think he enjoyed the audacity of someone walking  in and saying something like that to him.

"Later, he told me, `Basically, I hate your guitar playing, but you've got the job.' "

pixel.gif

On 7/5/2018 at 6:46 PM, IpMan said:

Brilliant!

My second ever show. . I remember it being M UK and them getting throttled off the stage. The crowd was ruthless that particular evening:) Got a bootleg of the show a couple years back and Percy and his band were killer that night.  One of the highlights of my life.    

43 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

My second ever show. . I remember it being M UK and them getting throttled off the stage. The crowd was ruthless that particular evening:) Got a bootleg of the show a couple years back and Percy and his band were killer that night.  One of the highlights of my life.    

What I found somewhat peculiar as well is that we had both Robert & Jimmy performing that year within a few months of each other...just like in 85' which was also the last time both were in Phx on their respective tours at the time. Went to all four gigs and loved all of them, great shows.

6 minutes ago, IpMan said:

What I found somewhat peculiar as well is that we had both Robert & Jimmy performing that year within a few months of each other...just like in 85' which was also the last time both were in Phx on their respective tours at the time. Went to all four gigs and loved all of them, great shows.

I too was at the Mesa Amp JP show. . LOL Had to break up a huge boulder in the front of my dads new home in Glendale and then he drove me all the way to Mesa, went home, and came all the way back to get me.  I thanked him again for that not to long ago:):) Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. . 

PS I don't remember a opener for JP. . 

Edited by Bozoso73

Just now, Bozoso73 said:

I too was at the Mesa Amp JP show. . LOL Had to break up a huge boulder in the front of my dads new home in Glendale and then he drove me all the way to Mesa, went home. and came all the way back to get me.  I thanked him again for that not to long ago:):) Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. . 

Yes, hell of a show. Do you remember all the people in the hotel adjacent to the amphitheater? Everyone was either out on the balconies or hanging out their windows. I was with my brother at the show and thought...why didn't we think of that?

6 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Yes, hell of a show. Do you remember all the people in the hotel adjacent to the amphitheater? Everyone was either out on the balconies or hanging out their windows. I was with my brother at the show and thought...why didn't we think of that?

LOL I do remember that!! Thinking at the time god what a helluva view!! And JP's lasers. . oh and STH with no vox. . I ended up in front by the moat . . stoned. . MTV was there and recorded the show. . couldn't believe when I saw that on Ebay about 10 years ago. .  

Oh And Jason with the stand of electric drums. . LOL Killer!!!

Edited by Bozoso73

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Do you remember all the people in the hotel adjacent to the amphitheater? Everyone was either out on the balconies or hanging out their windows. 

One of them bootlegged the show with a camcorder, but it's distant and shaky. 

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

His guitar playing may not have been Robert's cup of tea, but Francis Dunnery is funny as hell and was a great fit for the young band Robert had at the time.pixel.gif

Yes, a friend of mine once interviewed Francis Dunnery (for The Derbyshire Times!) and said he was a really good bloke.
Unfortunately for me, I sat through It Bites' support set in 1988. It was like a repeat of Then Jericho, who'd supported Iggy the year before.
That's not a good thing...  

• 3 months later...

Almost 30 years to the day that I broke my wrist just before the Oklahoma show and in a strange twist of fate my son Jake (14) who is also a drummer broke HIS wrist today and can't perform at his school concert next week!

Interesting story from that day ... About 2 months later we were back in Oklahoma to perform the show we missed so I went back to Oklahoma Hospital to have my cast removed. Next to me having her cast removed was a girl who never got to see the original (cancelled) show because she broke her leg on the way to the gig! Sorted out back stage passes for her and her boyfriend - coincidence!

13 minutes ago, Chris Blackwell said:

Almost 30 years to the day that I broke my wrist just before the Oklahoma show and in a strange twist of fate my son Jake (14) who is also a drummer broke HIS wrist today and can't perform at his school concert next week!

Interesting story from that day ... About 2 months later we were back in Oklahoma to perform the show we missed so I went back to Oklahoma Hospital to have my cast removed. Next to me having her cast removed was a girl who never got to see the original (cancelled) show because she broke her leg on the way to the gig! Sorted out back stage passes for her and her boyfriend - coincidence!

Thanks for posting! Sorry to hear about your son breaking his wrist.

8 hours ago, Chris Blackwell said:

Wow, neat stories! Also sorry to hear about your son breaking his wrist.

18 hours ago, Chris Blackwell said:

Very cool of you to post here! Caught you twice on that tour and on the Manic Nirvana tour as well. Sorry to hear about your son, hope he heals quickly! Thanks for sharing. ✌🏼 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:05 PM, Chris Blackwell said:

The X-Ray results show that Jake has only (only!) fractured his wrist so it'a not as bad as we thought. He still won't be able to play at next week's school concert though so I'm going to sit in for him. Should be fun!

Glad to hear he’s in better shape than thought. Thx for the update, Chris. Hope all is well with you and your studio, too.

R😎

• 3 months later...