Was SIBLY played at The Royal Albert Hall 1/9/70

LedZep342

Well I found this from thegardentapes.co.uk: "The Interviews and Promos Menu is accompanied by a short audio clip from the beginning of Thank You. This song was played at Madison Square Garden on 29th July 1973 and at the LA Forum on 25th June 1972 but this extract is certainly not from either of those versions. In any case, it's clear from just this snippet (which is actually even shorter than it seems as part of it is duplicated) that this is a much earlier version. I'm unable to prove it but can state without hesitation that this is another Albert Hall outtake."

I would think if there were at least fragments of audio from this song at this show it would be out there. You would think SIBLY would show up if it were out there. So I'm leaning to no.

Perhaps SIBLY was considered too rudimentary at that point as it was befoer III and it was only played for the second time live! But maybe it wasn't properly recorded!

Maybe Robert thought his organ wasn't filmed as properly as on TSRTS, but I think it's his fault, as he just didn't wear such jeans yet in 1970!

Since I've Been Loving You was played at the 1/9/70 RAH gig. I don't have an actual copy of the review itself, but according to the "Press Reports" book by Robert Godwin, Raymond Telford reviewed the gig for Melody Maker and said Since I've Been Loving You was one of the best numbers of the evening. The review was in the January 17, 1970 issue of MM. If someone has it, could they please post it. Thanks.

SIBLY was played, but we can't prove this FOR SURE unless video and audio surfaces. Thank You was definitely played, Audio from the beginning of the song and a fragment of Jonesy's solo proves it.

This is not entirely correct. There are plenty of Led Zeppelin concerts for which we don't have audio or visual tape. Does this mean they didn't occur? Of course not.

Press acounts, reviews, etc. can also help establish certain events.

I believe the above poster is correct, as I have that same Robert Godwin book...just not handy at the moment. If I recall correctly, the review for the RAH gig mentions a new song, "Working From Seven", which obviously is a reference to SIBLY.

So I don't care if there is or isn't audio or video "proof"...I feel confident in saying SIBLY was performed at the RAH 1970 concert.

Ok, so there is basically a 95% chance that SIBLY was played at the RAH 1970.

As for "Thank You", there are segments of audio from both parts of the song played at the RAH 1970, the first being part of Jonesy's organ solo, and the second being the beginning of the song, as for the filming of the song, I believe it was either not fully filmed, or only one camera was filming at the time.

I would think this video fragment would have a bit more than what has surfaced. As for audio, I think a complete version is somewhere.

I would think that the "single camera guy" filmed this. Maybe there was one camera running for that Song.

As for SIBLY, There is a 90% chance of it being performed.

I would think this video fragment would have a bit more than what has surfaced. As for audio, I think a complete version is somewhere.

I would think that the "single camera guy" filmed this. Maybe there was one camera running for that Song.

As for SIBLY, There is a 90% chance of it being performed.

Maybe, as for audio of "Thank You", part of Jonesy's organ solo and the first part of the song surfaced, so this is evidence that it probably was fully recorded on soundboard.

In my opinion there is a 100% chance that SIBLY was played, I mean why would the reviewers lie about the song, saying how good it was?

If you read the liner notes of the Zep DVD, Dick Carruthers notes that the reason Heartbreaker wasn't played in full on the DVD (just the beginning), is because the rest of the song was part of a final reel of film that was lost when going through the vaults in pulling up this concert. Given where Heartbreaker was in the set list (pretty close to SIBLY), SIBLY could have been on that lost reel of film.

Also, in a separate interview, I believe either Jimmy or Dick mentioned that much of the 16mm film from that show had naturally worn (the film/show was 33 years old when they released the DVD), and in places, where the film footage was damaged, they inserted stills and/or bootleg footage, to complement the audio. I read that there was too much film damage for Thank You, and that is why only a fragment of the song exists on the DVD. This also may have contributed to the reason why SIBLY wasn't on the DVD.

I also subscribe to the theory that SIBLY was too rudimentary in its 2nd ever live performance, and the band decided to leave it off. My feeling is that SIBLY was played at this show.

If you read the liner notes of the Zep DVD, Dick Carruthers notes that the reason Heartbreaker wasn't played in full on the DVD (just the beginning), is because the rest of the song was part of a final reel of film that was lost when going through the vaults in pulling up this concert. Given where Heartbreaker was in the set list (pretty close to SIBLY), SIBLY could have been on that lost reel of film.

Also, in a separate interview, I believe either Jimmy or Dick mentioned that much of the 16mm film from that show had naturally worn (the film/show was 33 years old when they released the DVD), and in places, where the film footage was damaged, they inserted stills and/or bootleg footage, to complement the audio. I read that there was too much film damage for Thank You, and that is why only a fragment of the song exists on the DVD. This also may have contributed to the reason why SIBLY wasn't on the DVD.

I also subscribe to the theory that SIBLY was too rudimentary in its 2nd ever live performance, and the band decided to leave it off. My feeling is that SIBLY was played at this show.

Oh, so that's why the final reel was lost? So Heartbreaker was fully filmed, it is just missing the final reel?

And thanks for the info on info of Thank You being filmed, even if the footage is damaged, still worth watching...

And at this point I'm 100% positive SIBLY was played, still unsure if it was filmed, for all we know the cameramen could have been changing reels.

This explains why this stuff didn't surface on the dvd...however it does not explain why I have never come across a single snippet of audio of sibly that night. Not that i care about snippets lol.

Archived