Was SIBLY played at The Royal Albert Hall 1/9/70

LedZep342

It's a good thing he has now then huh? LoL

Well MissMelanie it says at the top "Led Zeppelin.com Official Forum" so i would imagine Jimmy can do so if he wants, maybe he just doesnt want to.

Regards, Danny

• Administrators

Since I've Been Loving You was played at the 1/9/70 RAH gig. I don't have an actual copy of the review itself, but according to the "Press Reports" book by Robert Godwin, Raymond Telford reviewed the gig for Melody Maker and said Since I've Been Loving You was one of the best numbers of the evening. The review was in the January 17, 1970 issue of MM. If someone has it, could they please post it. Thanks.

rah1970-review-mm_lzcom.jpg

Ok, it was played.

As for Thank You, the song repeats when you hear Bonham's opening fill a second time. And instead of it doing that again, Bonham does a different fill before Robert comes in, the second time.

Oh.

This explains why this stuff didn't surface on the dvd...however it does not explain why I have never come across a single snippet of audio of sibly that night. Not that i care about snippets lol.

Okay, you want your question answered...here's your answer.

It's one of two reasons: 1) The English are pussies; and/or 2) they are filthy hoarders.

Seriously, how is it that we have a tape from the January 1969 Whisky show, a venue that holds less than 200 people, yet not one audience tape has surfaced from the RAH gig, which holds a few thousand?

Either one doesn't exist, which means the English taping community were wimps and incompetent.

Or one does exist, but some arsehole has been hoarding it all these years.

• 1 month later...

Okay, you want your question answered...here's your answer.

It's one of two reasons: 1) The English are pussies; and/or 2) they are filthy hoarders.

Seriously, how is it that we have a tape from the January 1969 Whisky show, a venue that holds less than 200 people, yet not one audience tape has surfaced from the RAH gig, which holds a few thousand?

Either one doesn't exist, which means the English taping community were wimps and incompetent.

Or one does exist, but some arsehole has been hoarding it all these years.

This is what I thought too strider. I mean how can it be possible that not a single tape exists out of the thousands of people who attended this gig. This bothers me because his show is one the greatest gigs they ever did. Anyway thx for that answer, i think i needed that from someone like you, just to give it closure. If you get me.

This is what I thought too strider. I mean how can it be possible that not a single tape exists out of the thousands of people who attended this gig. This bothers me because his show is one the greatest gigs they ever did. Anyway thx for that answer, i think i needed that from someone like you, just to give it closure. If you get me.

No sweat, man...it's bothered me for a long time, too. Take the Bath Festival 1970. By 1970, the word-of-mouth on Zeppelin's concerts had traveled far and wide. They were now one of those bands that bootleggers were interested in.

So Zeppelin can play the LA Forum in 1970 and not one, not two, not three...but 7 different people managed to sneak equipment in and record the show in fair to excellent quality.

Meanwhile, at the Bath Festival, which was attended by more than 100,000 and is outdoors, which made it easier to smuggle gear in, all that's come out from that show is one shitty sounding audience tape.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy on SIBLY in Guitar World, November 2010

Yes, we played it as part of the Albert Hall set you hear on the Led Zeppelin DVD. The problem with it was that the keyboard didn't get recorded, so there's only the guitar, the drums and the voice, which is really unfortunate, otherwise we'd had a good version.

Yes, we played it as part of the Albert Hall set you hear on the Led Zeppelin DVD. The problem with it was that the keyboard didn't get recorded, so there's only the guitar, the drums and the voice, which is really unfortunate, otherwise we'd had a good version.

I remember reading that, but riddle me this Batman... Why do we see and hear JPJ playing an organ solo to Thank You on the DVD in the extras?? I still wonder...

He stated the bass and keys were missing from the multitracks, yet on on the LZ DVD two excerpts of the song can be heard that clearly contain the bass and keys...

No sweat, man...it's bothered me for a long time, too. Take the Bath Festival 1970. By 1970, the word-of-mouth on Zeppelin's concerts had traveled far and wide. They were now one of those bands that bootleggers were interested in.

So Zeppelin can play the LA Forum in 1970 and not one, not two, not three...but 7 different people managed to sneak equipment in and record the show in fair to excellent quality.

Meanwhile, at the Bath Festival, which was attended by more than 100,000 and is outdoors, which made it easier to smuggle gear in, all that's come out from that show is one shitty sounding audience tape.

It's a fair point I grant you but having said that, there are plenty of US shows from 72,73,75 and 77 that have no known recordings and it would be fair to say the technology, albeit still rather in it's infancy compared to today, would have been there to record it. Also I would suspect that the US was far more advanced in recording techniques than us brits in 1970. Reel to reel comes to mind. I mean I personally recorded Tina Turner at a small theatre in Manchester with a Ghetto Blaster in the 80's. Try smuggling that in your jacket!!

Archived