Was SIBLY played at The Royal Albert Hall 1/9/70

LedZep342

It's a fair point I grant you but having said that, there are plenty of US shows from 72,73,75 and 77 that have no known recordings and it would be fair to say the technology, albeit still rather in it's infancy compared to today, would have been there to record it. Also I would suspect that the US was far more advanced in recording techniques than us brits in 1970. Reel to reel comes to mind. I mean I personally recorded Tina Turner at a small theatre in Manchester with a Ghetto Blaster in the 80's. Try smuggling that in your jacket!!

Oh man, now THAT'S dedication, chill! How did the tape turn out? From when I started taping my own shows in the 80s, I used various models of Sony Walkmans, with an external stereo mic plugged into the jack. Later on I switched to a professional Sony model that allowed for recording levels to be set manually intead of the factory preset. Too much abuse at too many shows caused it to die a premature death. I stopped taping shows around 2005-2006, as youtube and digital recordings became prevalent. Every once in a while, if it is a special enough gig, I may break out the tape recorder, but now I just want to enjoy the show. When you're taping, you have to be still and silent, and if you brought a companion, hope she is quiet, too.

Back to SIBLY at Royal Albert Hall, this answer has been answered officially and unofficially several times over by now, why do some of you persist in still questioning it? Just because you have a snippet of organ from RAH Thank You on the DVD menu doesn't mean diddly. SIBLY was played before Thank You, so while there was a snafu in recording the organ for SIBLY, they probably rectified the problem in time for the organ to be recorded for Thank You.

Just my educated guess.

Hey Strider

Tina Turner was in a small provincial theatre, so i took it in a back pack and the people on the door were oblivious to this kind of show so took no interest in me having a large bag. The tape came out brilliantly.

I agree of course that Walkmans were the best and as such recorded BB King in 1985, Frank Zappa in 86' ( well partly as I was caught with it ) and then moved to Mini Discs which were amazing. I did Robert Plant a few years ago and again it is so clear and well balanced you can hear the tapping of the cymbols !!

But finally on this. When Rush played their second ever UK show on June 2nd 1977 at Manchesters Free Trade Hall I sneaked into the stalls before they came on ( this was common practice - buy a cheap upstairs ticket and sneak in downstairs). As you can imagine the excitement was intense and the announcer said that everyone had to sit down before the show could start. As I didn't have a seat a saw a free one with a jacket on it. Just as i was to sit the guy next to it said " wouldn't sit there man" as he revealed a Reel to Reel recorder under the jacket ! I have a CD of the show and i've always wondered if it was his!!

Archived