Did they tune down?

im watching some audience clips of the show on the 10th and it sounds like they tuned down. i dont doubt it due to roberts vocals but am i right? or am i just hearing things? were there any songs they altered? i heard they played ramble on, thats pretty cool. did they play some songs in tune to the original recordings?

No doubt some songs were played in a lower key - but that didnt detract from any of it. The important thing is that they did it-Irony may well have dictated that Jimmy and Jonesy had to adjust to accommodate Planty once he'd decide to do it- who knows? but Zepp always was about challenges and transitional evolution anyway, so they did what they always did and will do-work round it, ever onward

GTBT, Black Dog, Ramble On, Stairway, No Quarter and Rock and Roll are the only ones I know of that they tuned down. Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, and For Your Life were played in the right key. Not sure of the others.

Does this strike anyone else as kinda strange?

Not the idea of tuning down to help Plant reach the notes easier, but why these ones in particular?

Good Times Bad Times is not in a particularly high register, he's been singing Ramble On and Black Dog with Strange Sensation in the original keys, and on the Page and Plant tours he seemed to me to do just fine on No Quarter and Rock and Roll in the original keys (I know that was like 10 years ago, but from what I've heard recently his range doesn't seemed to have dropped much since then)

And in the case of Stairway...I dunno...it's just such an iconic song it's hard for me to think of it being in anything other than the key of A.

Granted I have yet to hear any recordings from the show (for something this big I don't want my first experience of it to be crappy cellphone movies on YouTube, so I'm waiting until hopefully a really good quality boot surfaces) so I can't really judge the effect the downtuning had on any of the songs, good or bad. In just seems to me, in theory, it doesn't really seem necessary.

I agree, the songs that are tuned down a WHOLE step, DO sound a little strange.

Obviously they did it to accommodate Plant. From what I have seen and heard they sounded pretty good all things considered. Seems like they had sound problems at the venue and there are most definitely several missed cues and mistakes, but what the hell. Better than their previous reunions to be sure.

I agree, the songs that are tuned down a WHOLE step, DO sound a little strange.

Obviously they did it to accommodate Plant. From what I have seen and heard they sounded pretty good all things considered. Seems like they had sound problems at the venue and there are most definitely several missed cues and mistakes, but what the hell. Better than their previous reunions to be sure.

Most of the mistakes aren't any different from mistakes made in Zeppelin shows all the time.

And in the case of Stairway...I dunno...it's just such an iconic song it's hard for me to think of it being in anything other than the key of A.

Trust me, Stairway sounds just fine in G. Sorta gives it a more mellow and sadder feeling as opposed to the bright and happy feeling of the original version.

Trust me, Stairway sounds just fine in G. Sorta gives it a more mellow and sadder feeling as opposed to the bright and happy feeling of the original version.

Yeah, I'm normally not a fan of Stairway To Heaven, but the way they played it last night made me like it more than usual.

im watching some audience clips of the show on the 10th and it sounds like they tuned down. i dont doubt it due to roberts vocals but am i right? or am i just hearing things? were there any songs they altered? i heard they played ramble on, thats pretty cool. did they play some songs in tune to the original recordings?

They did.

It was most evident in STH, but did it detract one iota from the songs or the bands energy?

Not in the least.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, when playing live the vast majority of bands tune down a half-step anyway, from A=440 to what's known as "stage tuning", so that the lead singer doesn't have to strain as hard. For the songs on which Zep did tune down at the O2, they were only a half-step down from that (i.e., a whole tone down from A=440: A to G, D to C, etc.). It was really no big deal, and it allowed Robert to go for the high notes, especially on "Rock and Roll," on which he dropped down a _full octave_ from 1972 to 1980. SIBLY, my all-time favorite live song, also had a couple of stratospheric screams from Percy. I had goosebumps all up and down my arms and I am not ashamed to say that my tears, they fell like rain.

Tuning down also gave the bass and guitar big-time crunch. When Jimmy hit that opening chord of "For Your Life," his tone was so FAT. Reminded me of the Black Beauty tone at RAH. Absolutely brain-searing. That, and his classic swagger throughout the song = THE most badass rock and roll moment it has ever been my privilege to witness in nearly 30 years of concert-going.

Tuning down also gave the bass and guitar big-time crunch. When Jimmy hit that opening chord of "For Your Life," his tone was so FAT. Reminded me of the Black Beauty tone at RAH. Absolutely brain-searing. That, and his classic swagger throughout the song = THE most badass rock and roll moment it has ever been my privilege to witness in nearly 30 years of concert-going.
Except FYL was played in the original key. Still sounded FAT though. :D

Does this strike anyone else as kinda strange?

Not the idea of tuning down to help Plant reach the notes easier, but why these ones in particular?

Good Times Bad Times is not in a particularly high register, he's been singing Ramble On and Black Dog with Strange Sensation in the original keys, and on the Page and Plant tours he seemed to me to do just fine on No Quarter and Rock and Roll in the original keys (I know that was like 10 years ago, but from what I've heard recently his range doesn't seemed to have dropped much since then)

Yes they tuned down. Stairway was played in the key of G. Just one tune lower. Although it sounds lower.

Ten years ago, Robert could sing R'n'R in the original Key. He sang it better then in the 70th.

Just me but those tunes and their KEYS are a part of my molecular structure...so for me...a WHOLE step..is BIG step...really sounds different...if you guitarists out there play the intro to STH in Am...then play it in Gm...it JUST SOUNDS "wrong"...to me anyway.

Just me but those tunes and their KEYS are a part of my molecular structure...so for me...a WHOLE step..is BIG step...really sounds different...if you guitarists out there play the intro to STH in Am...then play it in Gm...it JUST SOUNDS "wrong"...to me anyway.

it is....sad.....that there are....purists....like....you.

I'm a guitarist too and i don't give a shit. In fact, i am eagerly waiting to hear the new adaptations of the old songs.

Sure, opinion respected etc but think about it.

Well, yes, I did, ahh, think about it. I have heard the whole show, and all the songs that are tuned down sound a little "wrong" to me. ( you see where I said "to me" there?) and jeeez dude get bent outta shape at consecutive periods do you...?

Archived