black country communion - why the fuss?

jsj

can anyone explain to me why black country communion get so much attention on zeppelin sites? i notice that dave lewis on his tight but loose site has again done a review of a recent gig and has included an interview in a recent magazine

jason bonham isnt john bonham. if we're including BCC because of jason's involvment then shouldnt time also be spent on other zeppelin offspring projects, isnt planty's son in a band for instance?

musically they dont do it for me but thats beside's the point, even if they did i dont see a valid connection

glen hughes must be laughing him self silly getting so much attention, including from me via this post!

can anyone explain to me why black country communion get so much attention on zeppelin sites? i notice that dave lewis on his tight but loose site has again done a review of a recent gig and has included an interview in a recent magazine

jason bonham isnt john bonham. if we're including BCC because of jason's involvment then shouldnt time also be spent on other zeppelin offspring projects, isnt planty's son in a band for instance?

musically they dont do it for me but thats beside's the point, even if they did i dont see a valid connection

glen hughes must be laughing him self silly getting so much attention, including from me via this post!

Fair question, I suppose. Obviously if Jason Bonham wasn't in the band they wouldn't merit coverage on Led Zeppelin sites, but the fact is there is so they do. I can't recall anyone other than myself and a few others chronicling Jason's stints with UFO and Foreigner, so the difference here must be they're an all-original, high-profile supergroup with a gift for gab and a connection to Led Zeppelin quite like Them Crooked Vultures.

If Deborah Bonham, Logan Plant or even young Jesse Lee were receptive to press coverage, etc. I'm sure they'd get it, though their managament probably wouldn't arrange for any without something to promote. So far as I know none of them have a project to discuss at present and besides, Logan in particular always seemed to downplay any ties to Led Zeppelin whatsoever.

Seriously? Glenn Hughes has a large and loyal following of his own already - a bigger following than Jason I'd say, if comparisons were needed.

They're a great live band, BCC, bringing a lot of joy to a lot of people. Jason WAS part of Led Zeppelin, when they played the O2 in 2007, billed as Led Zeppelin, not a tribute, not an offshoot, not a jam among pals - the show that night was Led Zeppelin - so like it or not they have now had two line-ups. No other Zeppelin family member - Logan, Jesse, Deborah, Zoe, Carmen et al - has ever been part of Led Zeppelin. I guess that's why. Though I do understand your question.

I have their first album and it's ok. I don't kow exactly why they get all the press attention they do but it probably is to do with all of them being high profile musicians. When ever I listen to them I do think they could do better, they play good genres of music but they don't leave enough space in their music and it gets a bit hard to listen to after a while and feels as if they are trying to be something rather than letting it come naturally to them.

• 4 weeks later...

BCC gets the press and recognition because they're really a solid rock band that have that 70's vibe. I agree with Knebby above Jason was a part of Led Zeppelin in 2007. Jason has been playing with Jimmy off & on since he was in his early 20's. John cherished his son Jason and taught him to play drums so he's a natural. The reference has escaped me but John had said in an interview that one day he wanted to have Jason on stage with the band playing. To me Jason was the obvious choice to play the reunion and did has father proud from what I've heard on line. On the TBL website Dave does recognize TCV and other projects members of the band were involved with. He has had information on Deborah Bonham as well. All connected but not necessarily in Zep. I'm not sure why Logan's band has not been given coverage. My hunch is Logan wants to be known for his own stuff and not to be recognized just because he's Roberts son; Those are some big shoes. Some of Logan's publicity shots look like a very young Robert with darker colored hair.

My hunch is Logan wants to be known for his own stuff and not to be recognized just because he's Roberts son; Those are some big shoes.

the music that he plays does not do it to me. In fact, it does not do anything, I have to admit (

In terms of music Logan is farther from Robert than Jürgen is from Ritchie )

When there is a large photo with a narrative by the albums producer (like in BCC 2), it's time to change producers. He isn't part of the band though based on the design of the liner notes, he is treated as such. Trevor Horn did have a somewhat similar treatment in the new Yes cd but he used to be the singer.

Kevin Shirley was instrumental in bringing these musicians together to form BCC and most likely is considered a 5th member of the band.

Kevin has been producing Joes music for years.

He also produced the new John Hiatt record, Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns. Most folks wouldn't connect him with anything John Hiatt related but from all reports the partnership works.

Kevin Shirley was instrumental in bringing these musicians together to form BCC and most likely is considered a 5th member of the band.

Kevin has been producing Joes music for years.

Well said, ledzepfvr. :)

Absolutely. Without Kevin Shirley at the helm, both albums probably wouldn't have happened.

He brought Bonamassa and Hughes together to consider a project. Now, it's a band and everyone is contributing.

I can't wait to see them live in 2012. Hope they do a 3rd album, too!!!

R B)

Archived