Olympic Opening Ceremony - Jimmy keen, Robert not

kenog

This comes from the UK's Daily Mirror of 28/07/11. I've underlined the bit referring to JP and RP.

Paul McCartney is headlining the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony

by Mark Jefferies, Daily Mirror 28/07/2011 Sir Paul McCartney (Pic: AP)

BILLIONS of people will watch the ultimate showman kick off next year's Olympic Games.

Viewers all over the planet will see music legend Sir Paul McCartney headline the opening ceremony in London.

The Beatle told bosses he's "up for" playing at the spectacular on July 27 but song choices and detailed plans still need to be finalised. Bosses had hoped to reunite Macca, 69, with Beatle Ringo Starr but he will be touring the US.

Advertisement >> There was further disappointment for organisers when The Rolling Stones ruled themselves out of the show.

Led Zeppelin were also approached and although guitarist Jimmy Page was keen, singer Robert Plant was said to be "not interested". An industry source said: "The hope was to have the cream of British music all in the line-up but it now looks like Macca will be joined by some younger stars on stage. But of all the people you would want, McCartney is number one. He is the ultimate showman and guaranteed to get the Olympics off to a great start."

Macca set tongues wagging this month when he told a US chat show: "I hear there's a rumour that I might be involved."

Daughter Stella McCartney is already involved, designing the British kit.

3 HITS Macca might play: 1 Hey Judo 2 Live And Let Dive 3 Twist and Shoot 4 A Hard Day's Fight 5 When I'm 64th 6 Here Comes The Run 7 Strawberry Field Events Forever.

This comes from the UK's Daily Mirror of 28/07/11. I've underlined the bit referring to JP and RP.

The Beatle told bosses he's "up for" playing at the spectacular on July 27 but song choices and detailed plans still need to be finalised. Bosses had hoped to reunite Macca, 69, with Beatle Ringo Starr but he will be touring the US.

That is seriously interesting considering a photo I took yesterday. I will share it here when the time is right to.

Aren't Zep also going to be touring, as was said on that other thread by a friend of a friend, to another friend..... :blink:

I has to be true, after all he and the Band of Joy are apparently having problems moving tickets and are playing to near empty venues.

250244_234285109939340_116206108413908_810826_2834498_n.jpg

I has to be true, after all he and the Band of Joy are apparently having problems moving tickets and are playing to near empty venues.

Robert has opened for Lenny Kravitz during his solo career so that should have kept him humble. :-)

I can't yet. A photo of something I saw while I was going for a walk yesterday. Very interesting timing. When I can, I will share. Have a nice evening.

Why does this sound like you have nothing and you're just yanking everyone's chains?

That is seriously interesting considering a photo I took yesterday. I will share it here when the time is right to.

Oh look, it's the return of kabbalahone, NessYah, Electriq Rose, etc. - a perenially-banned poster with a penchant in the past for purple prose and finding things on the streets of Nova Scotia.

Anyway, I suppose Sir Paul McCartney is the right choice for delivering a safe, predictable performance that will compliment the faux grandeur of an Olympic Opening Ceremony. However, I feel an opportunity to heal the world is being lost. Imagine the magnitude of seeing a reunion of the biggest group of all time:

WHAM.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3Y5qfnhGc&feature=relmfu

Oh look, it's the return of kabbalahone, NessYah, Electriq Rose, etc. - a perenially-banned poster with a penchant in the past for purple prose and finding things on the streets of Nova Scotia.

Anyway, I suppose Sir Paul McCartney is the right choice for delivering a safe, predictable performance that will compliment the faux grandeur of an Olympic Opening Ceremony. However, I feel an opportunity to heal the world is being lost. Imagine the magnitude of seeing a reunion of the biggest group of all time:

WHAM.jpg

@ Wham! - classic and delicious irony!!!

Cheers,

Indi

by Mark Jefferies, Daily Mirror 28/07/2011 Sir Paul McCartney (Pic: AP)

BILLIONS of people will watch the ultimate showman kick off next year's Olympic Games.

Viewers all over the planet will see music legend Sir Paul McCartney headline the opening ceremony in London.

Advertisement >> There was further disappointment for organisers when The Rolling Stones ruled themselves out of the show.

Led Zeppelin were also approached and although guitarist Jimmy Page was keen, singer Robert Plant was said to be "not interested". An industry source said: "The hope was to have the cream of British music all in the line-up but it now looks like Macca will be joined by some younger stars on stage. But of all the people you would want, McCartney is number one. He is the ultimate showman and guaranteed to get the Olympics off to a great start."

Macca set tongues wagging this month when he told a US chat show: "I hear there's a rumour that I might be involved."

Daughter Stella McCartney is already involved, designing the British kit.

3 HITS Macca might play: 1 Hey Judo 2 Live And Let Dive 3 Twist and Shoot 4 A Hard Day's Fight 5 When I'm 64th 6 Here Comes The Run 7 Strawberry Field Events Forever.

I vote for the remaining members of Zep performing a blues grass version of The Crunge from separate locations via a montaged 3D hologram.

Cheers,

Indi

WHAM.jpg

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

There are several "private recordings" of Plant's 2010 tour floating around out there. If you've ever heard any of them you could easily understand why people flocked to the shows.

Band Of Joy is just a remarkable record, still.

More drama.

Not at all. In case you haven't noticed, I have posted less than 30 posts in many months and none of them have been dramatic at all. It is like I said, the timing has to be right. Do you only accept that as an answer if it comes from Jimmy?

There are several "private recordings" of Plant's 2010 tour floating around out there. If you've ever heard any of them you could easily understand why people flocked to the shows.

I saw them at Memorial Hall in Raleigh back in February and also love the record. My comment was in response to the not so well founded "rumor" about the upcoming Zeppelin reunion.

Not at all. In case you haven't noticed, I have posted less than 30 posts in many months and none of them have been dramatic at all. It is like I said, the timing has to be right. Do you only accept that as an answer if it comes from Jimmy?

Sorry but my comment wasn't necessarily directed at you personally but in general here whenever it comes to anything "vintage" or "exclusive".

Jahfin, I knew what you meant by your post. I was addressing the "faithful" in general, sorry.

No, we're just used to people claiming they have information they don't really have, solely because they're attention-seekers. The longer you drag this out, the more suspect everything you say becomes, and the more likely people are to just outright dismiss you.

Archived