Chicago, IL-Chicago Stadium- April 10, 1977

DavidZoso

I totally disagree with the statement that Jimmy was dressing like the German World War I air pilots as depicted on the cover of Led Zeppelin II.

FIrst of all, on the cover, Jimmy Page is sitting down and the only thing you can see him wearing is some kind of heavy jacket/coat. He is not wearing a hat.

Regarding the pictures of Pagey wearing what we all know is now regarded as the "StormTrooper" outfit in Chicago, I do believe that Jimmy was wearing what is considered almost full NAZI regalia. Maybe not complete but definite NAZI SS sterotypical uniform. An SS hat/cap and jackboots. Someone made the comment that the SS hat was from the 1930's and I agree. There were no SS troops in Germany during the First World War. During the WWI, German officers and Field Marshalls wore the helmet with the Spike on top. Just as President and Field Marshall Paul von Hindenburg did.

My whole point is that I believe that Jimmy Page was fully aware of what He was wearing and trying to make some kind of statement when He dressed the way He did for this show. If not, why are we discussing it a full 34 years after the fact?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I posted this before but here is the explanation for the outfit.

There was (and still is) a costume, magic, novelty store on the south side (Worth, IL) called Riley's Trick Shop. They were notorious for spot on accurate military uniforms from various countries and periods. Their most popular outfit (for rent or purchase) was a complete SS uniform, however they did sell items piecemeal as well. My friend had an older brother who worked there part time when Richard Cole and some of the road crew dropped in. Now you have to understand, back in those days people only knew the band, people like Grant & Cole were completely unknown, much less the road crew so when they came in no one noticed. About 30 min later Cole approaches the counter and asked to purchase the boots, pants, and hat. My friends brother was curious about this English gent and asked if he was on vacation. Cole proceeded to introduce himself and a short conversation ensued. The clerk (my friends brother) was not a huge Zeppelin fan but he was a nice guy and a good conversationalist and I guess Cole seemed to like him. Anyway, according to my friend Cole bought the outfit for himself, not Jimmy, as he thought it was interesting.

Don't know how much of the story is true, my friend and his brother both insisted it was but who knows. It would explain why the outfit was 10 sizes too big for Jimmy, but then again him being so thin at the time, unless he was shopping in the extra tall section of the kids dept, anything would have been oversized.

As I said before, I was at this show with my older brother and cousin...it was my first concert and they played exceptionally well, amazing show! Since I have been playing instruments since age six (started on trumpet 6- 12 years old and moved on to guitar at 15) even back then I knew what exceptional musicianship sounded like and believe me, this performance was excellent!

I posted this before but here is the explanation for the outfit.

There was (and still is) a costume, magic, novelty store on the south side (Worth, IL) called Riley's Trick Shop. They were notorious for spot on accurate military uniforms from various countries and periods. Their most popular outfit (for rent or purchase) was a complete SS uniform, however they did sell items piecemeal as well. My friend had an older brother who worked there part time when Richard Cole and some of the road crew dropped in. Now you have to understand, back in those days people only knew the band, people like Grant & Cole were completely unknown, much less the road crew so when they came in no one noticed. About 30 min later Cole approaches the counter and asked to purchase the boots, pants, and hat. My friends brother was curious about this English gent and asked if he was on vacation. Cole proceeded to introduce himself and a short conversation ensued. The clerk (my friends brother) was not a huge Zeppelin fan but he was a nice guy and a good conversationalist and I guess Cole seemed to like him. Anyway, according to my friend Cole bought the outfit for himself, not Jimmy, as he thought it was interesting.

Don't know how much of the story is true, my friend and his brother both insisted it was but who knows. It would explain why the outfit was 10 sizes too big for Jimmy, but then again him being so thin at the time, unless he was shopping in the extra tall section of the kids dept, anything would have been oversized.

As I said before, I was at this show with my older brother and cousin...it was my first concert and they played exceptionally well, amazing show! Since I have been playing instruments since age six (started on trumpet 6- 12 years old and moved on to guitar at 15) even back then I knew what exceptional musicianship sounded like and believe me, this performance was excellent!

I just posted this story to the Richard Cole appreciation society Facebook page and Richard confirmed the story to be FALSE.

Sorry.

• 1 year later...

Those conditions are not necessarily mutually exclusive :sarcastic_hand:

IMO, JP was making a statement - just not the one you might think.

It speaks more to S&M than Nazism...nuff said.

I think you are very correct. I read somewhere that both Jimmy & Richard were into some indie movie at the time which had an SS dominatrix as a central character, they would watch this movie quite often on the tour. I believe that was the inspiration for the outfit. Just Jimmy being silly most likely, nothing weird or political.

• 5 months later...

I was under the impression that Page was wearing elements of a Luftwaffe uniform, not an SS uniform.

Correct, he wore a Wehrmacht officer's hat with jodhpurs (pants) and boots, NOT an SS uniform.

The Wehrmacht was essentially Germany's unified armed forces from 1870–1918 and 1935 to 1946. The Wehrmacht consisted of the Heer (army), the Kriegsmarine (navy) and the Luftwaffe (air force).

The SS was a major paramilitary organization under Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party (NSDAP) and had it's own distinctive uniform items.

Archived