Rare pic of Jimmy in 70'

LedZep342

In fact I believe that picture is in jimmys book and the title is something like "i wrote the song friends on that balcony after a big fight with my wife, kind of an ironic title for a song given the situation".

Just curious about something. Is that a (somewhat) direct quote from Jimmy or were you paraphrasing his actual quote? Because I do not think that Jimmy Page was actually married to Charlotte Martin (or anyone else for that matter) during the entire existence of Led Zeppelin.

Great pictures nonetheless.

There's one of Jimmy sitting in a row boat taken in Scotland, I believe on Loch Ness. It was in Creem magazine's special issue on Led Zep circa '81 or so. Does anyone here have that photo?

My copy is in long term storage. Perhaps Rogerberlin can help by posting a scan?

Creem Special Edition - Led Zeppelin: The Complete Story (Winter 1980)

http://www.rogerberlin.de/volume1980.html

Just curious about something. Is that a (somewhat) direct quote from Jimmy or were you paraphrasing his actual quote? Because I do not think that Jimmy Page was actually married to Charlotte Martin (or anyone else for that matter) during the entire existence of Led Zeppelin.

Jimmy simply writes in his photographic autobiography that 'I wrote the first track to the third album,'Friends',on this balcony.But in an interview of 'Guitar World' magazine,he said about this song that '

http://www.guitarworld.com/jimmy_page_discusses_led_zeppelin_iii?page=0,0

(page2)

GUITAR WORLD Where did Led Zeppelin III begin?

JIMMY PAGE The first two things I had for the third album were Immigrant Song and Friends, which wasnt a bad place to start. Immigrant Song had a great driving riff, which spoke for itself. Friends on the other hand was more exoticit had a North African or Indian flavor. I remember I was playing around with this open C tuning [low to high, C A C G C E], but before I had written anything, I had a massive argument with my ex-wife. I went out on a balcony in my house, and suddenly the whole song spilled out, just like that. Considering the songs origins, its ironic that it ended up being called Friends. [laughs]

Even if they didn't marry legally he thought Charlotte was nothing but his wife,I think.

Jimmy told Japanese magazine named 'rokin'on' on July issue in 1982 that he didn't think legal marriage was important for him and he also said as if it was Charlotte's idea then.

I had a massive argument with my ex-wife.

Even if they didn't marry legally he thought Charlotte was nothing but his wife, I think. Jimmy told Japanese magazine named 'rockin' on' on July issue in 1982 that he didn't think legal marriage wasn't important for him and he also said as if it was Charlotte's idea then.

I don't necessarily disagree and we could also get into common law marriage and all of that (though let's not). Undoubtedly he is referring to Charlotte, though as I said - and as you know - he didn't refer to her as his "wife" back then (1970). I submit he may have referred to her as "ex-wife" merely for the sake of expediency during an interview with a US rock magazine.

I don't necessarily disagree and we could also get into common law marriage and all of that (though let's not). Undoubtedly he is referring to Charlotte, though as I said - and as you know - he didn't refer to her as his "wife" back then (1970). I submit he may have referred to her as "ex-wife" merely for the sake of expediency during an interview with a US rock magazine.

Steve,I think you always complicate this topic too much. :(:D One couple lived together for many years and had a child.It is nothing but a marriage.Especially the French consider in that way,I think.

There was a famous political couple in Japan too(they separated though).Though they were not a ''legally married couple'' we consider they were a husband and a wife.On the other hand,the American is particular about a system very much.Just my opinion though...

Steve, I think you always complicate this topic too much...the American is particular about a system very much. Just my opinion though...

If you label me you negate me :D

America is a very litigious society and perhaps that is why I'm careful not to characterize their long-standing relationship as "legally married".

America is a very litigious society and perhaps that is why I'm careful not to characterize their long-standing relationship as "legally married".

I see.As I recall,among his three wives,it was only an American wife who filed a suit against him.I don't understand if it's a coincidence though... B)

I see. As I recall, among his three wives, it was only an American wife who filed a suit against him. I don't understand if it's a coincidence though... B)

I'm not aware of any lawsuits having been filed against him by any of them. There have been two divorce settlements. Can't say more on this board.

Yes that was pretty close to what he said, and yes he said wife. I know he was not married to Charolette, but he has beens married twice outside of Zeppelin, patricia ecker and jemina.

This is a really stupid thing to bitch about, my quote was almost the same as what is in the book, and the book was written recently, not in 1970. I did not poorly paraphrase anything.

In some quarters quoting Jimmy as having called Charlotte his wife is controversial.

oops :( i did not know that. anyway i was pretty close, he said ex-wife and I used the word wife, I know there is a big difference but the fact is the word wife was used, no big deal to me, sorry if I upset anyone.

I wasn't upset by it at all and I think many people don't mind such a trivial thing.It's the fact Jimmy used the word 'wife' in an interview.The fact can't be moved or changed.

The exhibition of SWINGING LONDON 50's-60's:Design and Culture Revolution has been held in several places in Japan since last year.Jimmy contributes his some guitars and stage cloths to this event(he should have come to Japan for this exhibition in April!),in addition Charlotte also contributes her stuffs from the 60's.The guide of the exhibition introduces her as Jimmy Page's wife.The guide must have made prior arrangements with Jimmy or Paul Reeves or Michael Whiteway.

I wasn't upset by it at all and I think many people don't mind such a trivial thing. It's the fact Jimmy used the word 'wife' in an interview.The fact can't be moved or changed.

The fact is he used the word "ex-wife" (in a mid-1980s interview with a US guitar magazine). My point here is Jimmy - after years of reflection - may or may not have permanently settled on that being the proper characterization for her after the dissolution of their close relationship. Put differently, it would be like Gene Simmons now referring to Shannon Tweed as his "ex-wife" though everyone knows they've never legally married thus far.

Yes yes yes!!!! thats the picture I'm talking about, I had it then lost it on my old computer, I really like that picture for some reason. I read someplace that Jimmy said he would take his boat out sometimes and something about not be able to go fast, I really can't remember it was a long time ago.

Here's another one:

page1970-1.jpg

Oooh, that's nice - thanks very much.

My apologies, people: I searched the Creem Zep issue and didn't find the row boat photo. I used to have an excellent memory but now must admit it's shot to Hades.

Here's some more:

jp1970athomewithtelescofy2.jpg

Love the photos of Jimmy's swinging bachelor pad. Only a single guy in his twenties would have an outdoor swing inside as normal living room furniture and of course, the telescope to check out any potential hot neighbors. I would half expect to see, just out of camera shot, a table made of an old cable spool and a bookcase made of milk crates. tongue.gif

Glad to see that Jimmy was like the rest of us in the 70's.

Love the photos of Jimmy's swinging bachelor pad. Only a single guy in his twenties would have an outdoor swing inside as normal living room furniture and of course, the telescope to check out any potential hot neighbors. I would half expect to see, just out of camera shot, a table made of an old cable spool and a bookcase made of milk crates. tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived